Osama Bin Laden is dead

Voltron

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he died? But at what cost?

I guess it was better for him to be dead than captured to divulge whatever secrets?

I'm just glad he is done and over with. No need for any trail to waste tax payer's money. I'm sure that the security level will be raised once again as they may seek revenge.

I'm just glad he is done and over with. No need for any trail to waste tax payer's money. I'm sure that the security level will be raised once again as they may seek revenge.

Agreed, I don't even want to think of the political shitstorm that would occur if he were captured alive.

Hurray! Ding dong that son of a bitch is dead.

Sure, they will instantly replace him, but do you know what? I'm still going to revel in the good feelings for a bit. That much of discontinuity in operations, reduce their confidence a tad, their leadership loses some of its charisma...all good.

I wouldn't worry about his secrets, he kept a lot of them close to his chest -- they probably would have to change plans anyway, in a lot of cases.

I only wish they'd captured the bastard alive. That would have been much more demoralising for Al-Quaida, with him banged up in Guantanamo, or in some dank CIA bunker - whereas with him dead they have a martyr.

Remember those sons of bitches bombed the shit out of London too (in 2005) with bombs on the Underground and on a London bus. Then they tried again two weeks after the first attack, but fortunately were incompetent enough that the bombs did not detonate, or only went phut.

I think it's great news that the bastard is captured, dead or alive. I really don't know if believing they killed him. Why the body in the sea? It seems safer for everyone telling the world he's dead, but I think it's still possible he's alive and being on interrogatory.

Now I'm concerned if there will be reprisals by the followers. Here in Madrid we already had a dose of their motherfuckery, which served the current government to win the elections :palm: Hopefully this leads to stop or just decrease Islamic terrorism. We'll see. Good luck and best wishes.

I don't know. There was said to be a firefight using a woman as a shield. Several others were killed including one of his sons. I don't see Osama being taken alive by choice. I'm fairly certain he is dead and pictures are coming to help prove it. Thanks for nothing Pakistani government.

Edited by manaox2

I don't know. There was said to be a firefight using a woman as a shield. Several others were killed including one of his sons. I don't see Osama being taken alive by choice. I'm fairly certain he is dead and pictures are coming to help prove it. Thanks for nothing Pakistani government.

Yeah, I'm sure we tried to take him alive, and realized it's 'take him out now or risk missing a chance now'. I believe we've been close in the past and he got away.

I read it's a Muslim requirement to be buried within 24 hours and we wanted to respect that. Also, we didn't want a burial site where followers could honor him. We had 10 years to plan for what to do if we ever caught or killed him, I hope and figure they thought this through pretty well.

x2 on Pakistan. Sure makes you wonder who and how much the govt there knew. A big, well guarded compound? No one there knew? I doubt that. Big politics regarding Pakistan relations to be dealt with there. Being gracious and thanking them for their help, acknowledging all the fighting that's occurred on their land, while at the same time saying, 'hey, guys, an hour from your capital in a big, well guarded compound? And no one there knew?' :palm:

Does everyone remember what they were doing that morning of Sep 11, 2001? I was driving to work at the time. I was living in the north side of Chicago at the time, driving toward the city. First I thought how horrible it was. Then I thought, damn, I wonder if the John Hancock or Sears Tower that I can see right now are targets? I'll be driving pretty close to each, do I need to avoid driving near them?

Finally, thank you US Military, especially the SEALS. A great achievement. I can only imagine the battle that took place last night. Wow.

I only wish they'd captured the bastard alive. That would have been much more demoralising for Al-Quaida, with him banged up in Guantanamo, or in some dank CIA bunker - whereas with him dead they have a martyr.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you Craig. I would have preferred the US take the moral high ground, and treat him with the same respect that they do for other criminal, rather than for vengeance. Not a good feeling in the short-term, but far better for the long-term PR battle.

But I'm sure they tried, and I can't imagine him going easily. In either case, I am glad this whole chapter in history is closed......

Edited by Beefy

I was at work at a customer site in Hartford the morning of 9/11. I was chatting on IRC with some friends in NYC when they told me to turn on CNN after the first plane hit. I saw the 2nd hit streaming over the internet live. I headed down to help rebuild the SLK bond trading floor that weekend, so that it could be live monday morning. My strongest memory of 9/11 was being unable to sleep, so I watched much of Band of Brothers. It was very surreal. Working in lower manhattan and jersey city that weekend without a mask was the dumbest thing I've done, I think. I still have reduced lung capacity as a result.

Hell is too nice of a place for him.

Well I'm privy to the fact that there's a seat reserved for him next to Hitler. There'll they'll wait 'til Anita Bryant get's there. Then they'll spend eternity shoving Florida grapefruit up their asses, squeezing them, and drinking the juice out of each other's ass.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you Craig. I would have preferred the US take the moral high ground, and treat him with the same respect that they do for other criminal, rather than for vengeance. Not a good feeling in the short-term, but far better for the long-term PR battle.

But I'm sure they tried, and I can't imagine him going easily. In either case, I am glad this whole chapter in history is closed......

I agree too, but with these special operations, if you get resistance you shoot to kill. Seeing how his body was taken back to afghanistan maybe there will be a photo leak, but I highly doubt we'll ever see his body/face.

but I highly doubt we'll ever see his body/face.

Yeah, and I think it is better this way. Holding up grisly photos of a corpse might make some feel better...... but restraint and respect will win more hearts and minds in the long run.

I was at work at a customer site in Hartford the morning of 9/11.

In a rather terrible coincidence, I was playing Counterstrike at the time.

I'm sure that is the case - for sure they would have fought like hell. I would certainly like to think that the chapter is closed, but I have a horrible feeling that worse is to come.

Hey - I don't want to piss on the parade - I hope he rots in hell for all eternity. That bastard masterminded so many terrorist atrocities worldwide over the years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_al-Qaeda_attacks he deserves the worst that can be meted out in whatever afterlife he has ended up in.

Does everyone remember what they were doing that morning of Sep 11, 2001? I was driving to work at the time. I was living in the north side of Chicago at the time, driving toward the city. First I thought how horrible it was. Then I thought, damn, I wonder if the John Hancock or Sears Tower that I can see right now are targets? I'll be driving pretty close to each, do I need to avoid driving near them?

Finally, thank you US Military, especially the SEALS. A great achievement. I can only imagine the battle that took place last night. Wow.

I was doing my graduate study in structural engineering. We spent better part of the day discussing the anatomy of the collapse of the Twin Tower. It was quite a surreal moment when the first plane went in following by the second. Glad that justice has been served. They just confirmed a DNA identification and it is him.

I was at work at a customer site in Hartford the morning of 9/11. I was chatting on IRC with some friends in NYC when they told me to turn on CNN after the first plane hit. I saw the 2nd hit streaming over the internet live. I headed down to help rebuild the SLK bond trading floor that weekend, so that it could be live monday morning. My strongest memory of 9/11 was being unable to sleep, so I watched much of Band of Brothers. It was very surreal. Working in lower manhattan and jersey city that weekend without a mask was the dumbest thing I've done, I think. I still have reduced lung capacity as a result.

Jeez. That brings it home big time. Hats off, Grawk.

I was working in London at the time, and travelling home through the Underground (tube) was very odd. I was working at University College, and the department prof came in and said "You're not going to believe this, but a plane has just gone into the WTC". No more work got done that day - we were all watching it happen on the web. All the major buildings in London had been evacuated, because we had no idea whether we were a target that day too. Everyone on the Underground was absolutely silent and just kind of staring into space. Deeply surreal.