46-megapixel Sigma DSLR

blessingx

a post from dpreview forum:

...they state: "By embracing the SD1, serious photographers will also be able to take advantage of Sigma’s extensive lineup of affordable lenses..."I think it's hilarious to appeal to users on the basis of cost while asking nearly US$10K for a cropped-sensor camera not even quite up to current professional standards in most other regards.

Yep, you're right. I keep forgetting, given the specs, that that Sigma is a crop sensor, especially at that price point. As mentioned previously, the Pentax 645d is a 40MP medium format body for around the same price. The sensor size difference is significant: 24mm x 16mm vs. 44mm x 33mm (Yes, if we want to be nitpicky, the 645d is still a "crop" sensor in that it has a crop factor of .787).

I'm not sure how, with that pixel pitch, this camera will have any decent low-light performance whatsoever.

Edited by revolink24

It's supposed to have a Foveon sensor, right?

In press-statements they often count the sub-pixels, but as these are stacked three in height the effective pixel count will be a 3rd of this.

Chances are then that the functional pixel count in this case will be 15.3, which isn't all that ridiculous.

But the price is.

I can easily believe that this will be a wonderful camera, maybe 5DII good, but certainly not $10,000 good.

Edited by limp

Foveon sensors are a really neat idea that will never see a proper implementation in to a real world product as long as Sigma owns the patent to the technology and doesn't license it. Mike Johnson, who runs the excellent photography blog The Online Photographer, had a great article last year about foveon technology. He compared the Foevon sensor to Lincoln Walsh's speaker drivers, which are the only used in Ohm brand speakers. The article is a good read for photo nerds, audio snobs or those of us who happen to be both.

I think it's sort of nice that Sigma keep their sensor for themselves. It gives us techno/photo geeks something to relish over, kept clean from the dirty hands of the common people. :P

Edited by limp

Far from trolling.

I'm talking about the DP series. They're still competitive within their segment, in their own quirky way.

As for full format DSLRs there are nothing that touches Canon and Nikon, the real question is wether Sigma ever will be a real competitor.

The SD1 could be interpreted as that this is at least their intention. Will they succeed? I kind of doubt it, but in the same time it isn't completely impossible.