Should I give up on the K1000?

Leonardo Drummond

It's funny (in an extremely good way) to see you and Kevin Gilmore just being regular guys here! Makes head-case even more intimidating, though... hahahaha!

Heh, I used to feel kinda the same way, until I hung out (read: drank) with them in person, which removed a lot of that tension. Tyll always manages to surprise you when you least expect it though; what a character. :lol:

Clarkmc2! I think we shared an equipment room in CanJam last summer. Scary good DIY knowledge. Nice to see you!

Perhaps a case of mistaken identity; otherwise a vast overestimation of my DIY skill set! I was across from Skylab with my friend David, and since work intruded on Saturday we could attend Sunday only. Spritzer and Duggeh were kind enough to look me up and hang out. When I could steal a little time at the end of the meet I checked out the Woo room stat amps and Headamp's Blue Hawaii SE. Then on to the high end room where Dr. Gilmore was kind enough to turn his T2 back on. He is a great guy, but I also suspect he was swayed by the Stax Omega 2 mk 2.5 I was carrying. Some fine citizen had destroyed his 007 and he wanted to hear the newest model.

The Headamp and high end rooms were deserted because the raffle was going on. They were quiet and I had some great listens. By the way, my friend had his socks knocked off by the Eddie Current Balancing Act. He still talks about it. And I still talk about the T2.

A photo below of me, at the right with no sleep for two days, a really nice fellow (John?) who was one of only five or six who cared to stop by and listen, and the two Grommes PHI-26's, two FirstWatt F2JFETS (one on cartons behind me), SRD-7 Spritzer board modified box, 007mk2, and JoLida and Rega CDPs I dragged along. After this was taken Spritzer's high end DIY transformer box sat in residence for a few hours. All I met there were really fine people. My first meet, I had not encountered Spritzer, Duggeh, Skylab or Kevin Gilmore before and I consider meeting each of them an honor. I did spot Tyll but did not have time to bother him. My loss!

Wouldn't you know it, I didn't get to hear a K1000.

post-2775-0-99232400-1306467962_thumb.jp

I was never a big fan of the K1K's. I feel that they do a few things well (soundstage, detail), but are quite lacking in others (bass, also to me they are rather fatiguing). They also seem to require a hell of an amp to get >90% out of them. I say sell them, and get the SR-009's B) This coming from another Stax Mafia (_SR-007) member, fwiw.

Edited by rogue

Hahahahaha Fitz, best way to breake the ice, isn't it?

Thanks, boomana! Indeed it seems Pass' amps are a constant recommendation! How do you think the F1 compares to Aleph amps? I'm interested in the latter based on the recommendations I'm getting here, and they seem to be quite affordable.

grawk, can I take that as a compliment? :)

To be fair though, my first topic was actually a WTB, which I later found is inappropriate even if I'm willing to be a participating member and it just happened to be my first topic. I also posted a review on the JH13 which wasn't particularly well received, but then I got some absolutely fantastic feedback from it. The best feedback I've ever had from any review I've written, in fact. But then I guess those two episodes were necessary for me to finally understand what you guys and this forum stand for!

rogue, I considered this idea, but I'm sort of scared by the brightness that people are talking so much about. I'm just loving the laid back presentation of the 007s, and as I'm kind of sensitive to treble, I'm afraid the 009s might be too bright for me! And well, at the present price I think it's too much, maybe when it starts to apperar in the used market hahaha!

Padam, you know, that's something I've been considering. But I'm just as worried with a new amp as I would be with the 009. The fact is that I'm getting a fantastically seductive and sweet sound out of the 007 and I've read many reports about the O2s being somewhat cold with the 727 and KGSS, and while I love the O2s, I don't think I'd like to have it as my only headphone – and getting something like a BHSE would require me selling the AKG. I don't like cold sounding gear at all, and even if, say, a KGSS gave me better bass control and extension, more transparent mids and clearer highs, I don't think I'd be prepared to live with it if it's less musical than the eXStatA to my ears. A KGSSHV would be good to try since judging by what I've read it's not much more expensive than the eXStatA. But then I'd need to have someone build one for me, is that possible? As it's not that expensive, I'd be happy to buy one and then I can sell the one I like the least!

Perhaps a case of mistaken identity; otherwise a vast overestimation of my DIY skill set! I was across from Skylab with my friend David, and since work intruded on Saturday we could attend Sunday only.

A photo below of me, at the right with no sleep for two days, a really nice fellow (John?) who was one of only five or six who cared to stop by and listen, and the two Grommes PHI-26's, two FirstWatt F2JFETS (one on cartons behind me), SRD-7 Spritzer board modified box, 007mk2, and JoLida and Rega CDPs I dragged along.

Ooh, I know that John guy really well. I'd really watch out for him, he's a bit of an ass. :P

Actually, I shared a table with Skylab. I suspect you are vastly underestimating my DIY skills (none, maybe less than zero - I often break things that I'm trying to fix). Your setup sounded great! You talked circles around me technically speaking, but I guess that doesn't take much ...

Edit: BTW, grawk saying you're not a douchebag is quite a compliment, indeed!

Edited by jvlgato

Ooh, I know that John guy really well. I'd really watch out for him, he's a bit of an ass. :P

Actually, I shared a table with Skylab. I suspect you are vastly underestimating my DIY skills (none, maybe less than zero - I often break things that I'm trying to fix). Your setup sounded great! You talked circles around me technically speaking, but I guess that doesn't take much ...

Edit: BTW, grawk saying you're not a douchebag is quite a compliment, indeed!

Well hi again, John! You probably would have understood what I was talking about if I had any sleep under my belt. Then I might have actually made sense. Have to say I did turn a minor repair into a write-off myself. So much for working on circuit boards with no desoldering equipment. :lol:

I thought grawk was giving Leonardo the douchbag free nod. Or perhaps he is going easy on me because I bought something from him once. (I think. It tends to be a blur...)

Padam, you know, that's something I've been considering. But I'm just as worried with a new amp as I would be with the 009. The fact is that I'm getting a fantastically seductive and sweet sound out of the 007 and I've read many reports about the O2s being somewhat cold with the 727 and KGSS, and while I love the O2s, I don't think I'd like to have it as my only headphone – and getting something like a BHSE would require me selling the AKG. I don't like cold sounding gear at all, and even if, say, a KGSS gave me better bass control and extension, more transparent mids and clearer highs, I don't think I'd be prepared to live with it if it's less musical than the eXStatA to my ears. A KGSSHV would be good to try since judging by what I've read it's not much more expensive than the eXStatA. But then I'd need to have someone build one for me, is that possible? As it's not that expensive, I'd be happy to buy one and then I can sell the one I like the least!

I think the O2 is musical enough on his own and the 717 somewhat warm for a SS amp anyway so that is what I suggest. My friend and I didn't find the exstata to be good with the O2.

The advantage of the K1000 is that you can get a very good amp for it which you can use for speakers as well.

I would say though that some K1000s sound quite a bit better than others and it is not just a question of being a bass heavy or bass light pair. So hope you have one that sounds really good hard to determine unless you have more than one side by side :-)

I suspect you are vastly underestimating my DIY skills (none, maybe less than zero - I often break things that I'm trying to fix).

Sigh, I'm not even making any sense here. I need to proof my posts before hitting 'send.' Should be:

I suspect you are vastly OVERestimating my DIY skills (none, maybe less than zero - I often break things that I'm trying to fix).

Well hi again, John! I thought grawk was giving Leonardo the douchbag free nod.)

Yes, grawk was referring to Leonardo there. I'm being a douchebag by being so careless in my posts. :palm:

In any case, it's nice to hear from you again! And as noted, you are also a non-douchebag.

Horio and Clarkmc2, do you guys think it's possible for someone without any DIY knowledge of any sorts to build one of those? As I said to complin I'd love to learn, but I don't think I've got what it takes...

Leonardo,

There is only one way to get into DIY and that is to give it a shot. I started off with recabling a pair of headphones, and now I'm building a T2. The beauty of the Firstwatt amps (and a big reason why they sound so good), is their simplicity. There are really not that many parts required to build one of these fine amps, and there is excellent documentation and support available at the Firstwatt website and over on DIYAudio. I would start by doing some reading. Take a look at the manual on the Firstwatt website to learn a little more about the amp design, then cruise around the threads on the DIYAudio forum. The more you read and plan, the better the build will go.

I think that DIY is not as difficult as many people think it is. It's a great way to really learn about electronics, and it's always extremely satisfying to build something on your own.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

I cant really say personally what the Qualia is like as its one of the few top headphones i've never owned or heard. I think someone else on this forum might have owned a set. I would be surprised if it has the same sort of tonality as the O2. In my experience I have not heard anything much that can rival the overall attributes of the 02 (except another Stax or electrostatic). However; some dynamics can do things in different ways to the 02 that IMHO still make them worth listening to, even though they may be flawed in different ways.

Many people go for dynamics over electrostatics for the supposed superior bass and on first hearing yes it has impact, sounds full, and prominent, but on closer and extened listening its really an illusion. Spritzer sums it up well as "one note bass", and the more you listen you realiase that the bass on many dynamics is not that articulate, and you really cant differentiate the bass line and textures that well, unlike the 02. The headphone that has impressed me recently in this respect is the Audeze LCD-2, really articulate tuneful bass, and to my ears similar tonality to the O2. However; I still feel the 02 is superior overall.

Here is the link to the RKV My link. Produced in Germany they dont appear on the market that often so you might have to wait a while before one turns up. They appear to be more plentiful in Europe than the US and as far as I can remember I paid about €600 used. The one I had was best I feel with the telefunken tubes, but as the K1K needs a lot of current sometimes on big transients I felt it was underpowered. The K1K is better with something about 10 to 15 watts into 8 Ohms, more like a good speaker amp. I have a friend who uses an ASR Emitter 280 watts into 8 ohms for his K1K's.

I would love to build some of Kevin's designs but just don't have the time as I dont know where i'll be working from one month to the next. Perhaps a hobby for when I retire (if ever I can afford to) :D

complin, that's actually one of the main reasons why I've considered the Qualia more than the R10. Judging by what I've been reading, it apparently tries to achieve the same sort of tonality as the O2, is that right? It's one of the headphones I really really want to try someday! So expensive though... about the Audio Valve though, I can't find much about it, it seems to be pretty rare! How much does a used one tend to cost? And regarding DIY, as much as I'd LOVE to learn, I don't think I have the skills! If it was just soldering following pictures it would be fine, but I suppose some knowledge about circuitry and basic electronics are needed, and unfortunately I don't have any of those! :lol:

And you know, not long ago I started to understand what the other forum and most of its members really are. Not that it doesn't have its merits – it does, a lot of it in fact, and there are so many really amazing people there! But at the same time, I started to understand what head-case stands for and what you guys are trying to accomplish here. I really admire this!

Horio and Clarkmc2, do you guys think it's possible for someone without any DIY knowledge of any sorts to build one of those? As I said to complin I'd love to learn, but I don't think I've got what it takes...

grawk, well, many members said that they did like what was written, but what I meant by saying it wasn't particularly well received is that people complained about it being way too long! Which is a very real problem with me actually, I speak and write too much hahahaha! But that's definitely true, I had some fantastic feedback about how it could improve and it made it clearer to me what head-case is!

padam, so you think it's worth trying the 717? I can also go for a moded 727A, I think! But is it possible to have someone to build a KGSSHV for me? I didn't know about that with the AKG! I had a chance to compare it to another bass heavy pair of a lower serial number and I couldn't see any differences. But now I'm curious, they're both either good or bad, but they're definitely on the same side!

jvlgato, I also got confused about that over/underestimation confusion, lol!

Horio, thanks a lot not only for the help and encouragement!! I think this might be a great opportunity for me to try and so something I've always wanted to! And a good thing is that I'm studying industrial design, and at university there's a reasonably well equiped laboratory with many of the things I would need, especially for building the chassis!

Leonardo, you are a lucky man if you have access to some nice equipment for chassis work. I only wish I had that sort of access for my DIY T2 panels.

If you want a good learning project to help build your confidence, take a look at the Cmoy or Mini^3 portable headphone amps. Both are inexpensive to build and will teach you many valuable things for a Firstwatt build (like creating parts lists, selection parts, populating a PCB, etc). These projects are the starting point for many DIY'ers.

Speaking of Firstwatt amps, I was on the website and saw this:

The F1 and F2 are both current source (as opposed to voltage source) amplifiers with no feedback. The F3 offers single-stage single-ended operation with new Jfet power transistors. The F4 is a push-pull current buffer with no voltage gain or feedback, and the F5 is a uniquely high performance push-pull amplifier with feedback. The new J2 and M2 continue to push the envelope in different ways.

Would any of these be ideal to power a set of Quad ESL 57s? Here's an impedance graph:

quad_impedance_graph.jpg

That's a pretty wild impedance graph. You find yourself a pair of quad 57's?

With the little I know about the Firstwatt line, I would guess a F5X (balanced F5) or a Aleph J-X would be the way to go. With that nice spike around 80-100hz, I'd be afraid of the FW amps running out of voltage to swing though. I guess you could get some monster sinks, cascode the amps and run them at a higher voltage...

How sensitive are the quads?