Upcoming releases

Dusty Chalk

So what new releases are you excited about?

Me:

After an lengthy hiatus, Haujobb triumphantly returns in 2011 with a brand new single EP titled ‘Dead Market‘ to kick off their forthcoming new album ‘New World March‘. Brimming of deep basslines, addictive vocals, and stunning reworks, ‘Dead Market‘ introduces a new chapter in the Haujobb saga with stark ferocity and undeniable depth. Hard, unstoppable beats meet caressing deep basslines and dirty electro rhythms, married with a fierce undertow of complex synthlines and surging atmospheres, perfectly matched with Myer’s forceful and provocative vocals. With 8 outstanding tracks in all, ‘Dead Market‘ interjects a new volume in the Haujobb legacy, resiliently cohesive to their signature sound, yet gazing well beyond the future of their dark, beat-driven and complex brand of electronic music.
I really, really dug their last two releases, Polarity and Vertical Theory, though I doubt this will be anything like that, based on the description. But I'll love 'em whatever they do.

For metalheads:

Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions on 6/7

Symphony X - Iconoclast on 6/21

Looking forward to the new Symphony X. :)

Oh and one of today's new releases, My Morning Jacket - Circuital.

Edited by Asr

• 2 weeks later...

Devin Townsend Project, Deconstruction & Ghost should be coming out soon, to follow up Ki and Addicted (four album series, not sure what the encapsulating theme is).

Ghost and Deconstruction look to be coming out on 6/21.

I also just saw In Flames' Sounds of a Playground Fading, also slated for 6/21. Dang, the week of 6/21 looks like a great week for metalheads. :) Will probably be picking up the In Flames and Symphony X myself.

And other upcoming metal releases:

- Saxon - Call to Arms (6/14)

- The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual (6/21)

- Queensryche - Dedicated To Chaos (6/28)

- Unearth - Darkness in the Light (7/5)

Edited by Asr

• 3 weeks later...

Got my copy of Devin Townsend's Deconstruction [special Edition] today and saw that Ghost is included with it....so I now have 2 copies of Ghost. If anyone here wants the extra copy of Ghost, let me know, can send it gratis. (7/2 edit: copy of Ghost taken.)

Was poking around Amazon and saw several more metal releases all slated for the week of 7/12, some of them interesting:

- Megadeth - Peace Sells [25th Anniversary Edition] (new remaster) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WPT3ZM/

- Megadeth - Peace Sells [Deluxe 5 Disc + 3 LP Box Set] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WN96ME/

- Samael - Lux Mundi http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029RW4ME/

- Sepultura - Kairos http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WOJ99I/

Edited by Asr

I saw Devin Townsend play at my very first metal concert as the first act back in like, '05. Man, that was an epic concert, Dark Tranquillity and Opeth co-headlined to follow up. Dunno why I have not listened to Devin Townsend really since then, it seemed decent. The other two are, of course, some of my very favorite bands of all time.

Dusty, you see Katatonia is touring with Opeth for the 'Heritage' North American Tour?

NAmerica_2011_Dates.jpg

Edited by cetoole

Regarding Opeth, I think this will be the make or break album in my eyes. I have not grown to love either Ghost reveries or Watershed. A few great tracks here and there, but when compared to Still Life and MAYH, they are not even in the same league. I really hope Heritage is good, but in all honestly, I am not holding my breath. Opeth is still my favorite band, but I fear their best days are behind them.

Ghost is a great album from Devin Townsend Project. Not a huge fan of the stuff he does, but this album is really good. Asr: PM sent.

Thoughts on recent releases:

Kauan - Kuu... : Outstanding album, but not quite as good as Aava Tuulen Maa. I LOVE that album!

Riverside - Memories In My Head (EP) : Dammit! Such a great band, but it has been going downhill for them with the release of ADHD. I hope the next full release will see a turnaround.

Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa : Clear step down from Hävitetty, but the last half of Kuolleiden Maa is as good as anything they have ever done.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

So the new Opeth is apparently going to be entirely progressive rock with no death metal :kitty:

I am skeptical, but will keep an open mind...

I know Mike has the melodies to make an awesome album like this, but like you, I am skeptical. Damnation is one of my favorite non-heavy albums, but I really doubt that's the direction they are going with this. He stated he is pretty bored (to use the term loosely) with death metal vocals and has not focused on them as much practice-wise. That is why they are not as good live as they used to I suspect. His clean voice, however, is very good.

I know Mike has the melodies to make an awesome album like this, but like you, I am skeptical. Damnation is one of my favorite non-heavy albums, but I really doubt that's the direction they are going with this. He stated he is pretty bored (to use the term loosely) with death metal vocals and has not focused on them as much practice-wise. That is why they are not as good live as they used to I suspect. His clean voice, however, is very good.

I am fine with progressive rock, it's probably my favorite genre tied with bebop jazz. But I don't think Opeth pull it off that well, I don't know what it is about them, but their song structures are often disjointed and jumping around almost for the sake of being progressive. I enjoy Ghost Reveries and Watershed if I haven't listened to them in a long time, but it's not like their classic albums where I can listen to them regularly.

I am fine with progressive rock, it's probably my favorite genre tied with bebop jazz. But I don't think Opeth pull it off that well, I don't know what it is about them, but their song structures are often disjointed and jumping around almost for the sake of being progressive. I enjoy Ghost Reveries and Watershed if I haven't listened to them in a long time, but it's not like their classic albums where I can listen to them regularly.

Totally agree. That is large reason why I do not like the last two albums. The progressive rock creeped in. Mike does not do progressive rock well. MAYH - Deliverance Opeth had great flow and melody, but modern Opeth seems lost and forced.

If I want that, I will listen to Riverside, Rush, or middle era Porcupine Tree. There are VERY few progressive rock bands that I like. It's not that I do not like the genre - I do immensely, but most suffer from bad song structure/flow (e.g. recent Opeth), cheesy lyrics/content (lots of progressive rock bands), or pure wankery (e.g. many Dream Theater songs). The album I keep coming back to for progressive rock is Riverside's "Out of Myself". Definitely one of my top 5 albums for sure.

mypasswordis: The Beatles = meh :) I know I will be crucified, but it is what it is.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

After listening to a few songs, everything blurs together and sounds the same, which is weird, because most songs are, has been said, just fricking disjointed. The metal bits don't really sound like metal and make me feel like they were added in just for the sake of needing metal bits for them to actually be called metal, the weak ballady crap is weak and sounds like crap (ya rly), and overall the songs just doesn't sound inspired in any way, shape or form. Funny you should mention Dream Theater, I don't really like them either. Would definitely rather listen to pretty much anything by The Beatles (edit: or Porcupine Tree).

Edit: IMO.

Edited by mypasswordis

After listening to a few songs, everything blurs together and sounds the same, which is weird, because most songs are, has been said, just fricking disjointed. The metal bits don't really sound like metal and make me feel like they were added in just for the sake of needing metal bits for them to actually be called metal, the weak ballady crap is weak and sounds like crap (ya rly), and overall the songs just doesn't sound inspired in any way, shape or form. Funny you should mention Dream Theater, I don't really like them either. Would definitely rather listen to pretty much anything by The Beatles (edit: or Porcupine Tree).

Edit: IMO.

Just out curiosity, what album or albums were you listening to? Orchid and Morningrise had some GREAT melodies and ideas but generally less fluid than albums like MAYH, Still Life, and BWP. Those three albums were their pinnacle. It went downhill a bit with Deliverance, but Damnation was outstanding. GR and Watershed were boring and uninspiring with a few gems. All my opinion, of course.

By the way, anyone into Mournful Congregation? Outstanding funeral doom metal band from Australia. They are supposed to come out with a new album this year. If it is anything like The June Frost, it should be awesome.