Upcoming releases

Dusty Chalk

I only start going through a band's albums if I actually like the couple of songs I hear first, so I... haven't really gone through their albums per se.

Mournful Congregation sounds like it might be good, I'll check it out. I dig doom, stoner, sludge, etc. metal, as well as extreme, usually technical metal, and things that are groovy. Odd mix but what can I say.

I only start going through a band's albums if I actually like the couple of songs I hear first, so I... haven't really gone through their albums per se.

Mournful Congregation sounds like it might be good, I'll check it out. I dig doom, stoner, sludge, etc. metal, as well as extreme, usually technical metal, and things that are groovy. Odd mix but what can I say.

I am the same way, so I know where you are coming from. If the band does not grab me, I am quick to cast aside. I do come back to the band if their name keeps coming up in hopes that they click the second time around.

Definitely check out Mournful Congregation. They do not get a lot of coverage, but I like them better than many of the funeral staples like Skepticism.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a crapload of classic jazz reissues coming out this week (7/26) and next. I won't list all of the CDs (too many) but the list below should give an idea. They're all supposedly Japanese SHM CDs.

Charlie Parker - Bird & Diz

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella & Louis

John Coltrane - Crescent

Kenny Burrell - Guitar Forms

Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World

Wes Montgomery - A Day in the Life | California Dreaming

Full listing available at AllMusic.com (where I found out). Going to be buying a few and will report back on the mastering quality when I get them.

Edited by Asr

I'm looking forward to a new album from Feist.

Right now there is just a teaser video on her website, but at the bottom there are several windows with locks that are not viewable. One says 7/25/11 so I'm guessing tomorrow that video will be available. Hopefully it's an announcement of some sort or a more in depth peek at her next LP.

Edited by Mark527

Steven Wilson is going blu-ray for the high res digital version for his new solo album.

Great news! If the mixing is good then it should sound great. He's definitely got a lot of talent; I hope he delivers on this one.

In the same vein, Storm Corrosion, the Wilson/Åkerfeldt project, should be out probably early 2012. Here's to hoping for a Blu-Ray release of that as well...

Dusty, you check out Mournful Congregation yet?

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Great news! If the mixing is good then it should sound great. He's definitely got a lot of talent; I hope he delivers on this one.

In the same vein, Storm Corrosion, the Wilson/Åkerfeldt project, should be out probably early 2012. Here's to hoping for a Blu-Ray release of that as well...

Dusty, you check out Mournful Congregation yet?

It should sound great, he said there is "virtually no compression or limiting". Also streaming samples up at the album page http://www.gracefordrowning.com/ (plus Steve Hackett from Genesis is on it :dance: )

A shame that Opeth are still sticking to CD/DVD (and I think the DVD is a DVD-V and not high res audio).

It should sound great, he said there is "virtually no compression or limiting". Also streaming samples up at the album page http://www.gracefordrowning.com/

A shame that Opeth are still sticking to CD/DVD (and I think the DVD is a DVD-V and not high res audio).

Perhaps Wilson heard of some of the disappointment with the last Porcupine Tree mastering and decided to do it right this time around. I don't really follow him as much as I did before, so I am not really knowledgeable on that subject.

Yeah, it is a shame that Opeth is doing the typical release since Ghost Reveries, especially since Wilson is behind the controls. One would have thought that he would have some sway, but I have a feeling that Roadrunner nixed the idea if it came up. At least go with DVD-A, geez. I'd be happy with 24/96 flacs with the gaining popularity of downloads, but I'd prefer a physical medium.

90s grunge & alt-rock fans take note:

- Nirvana - Nevermind (2-CD reissue) - 9/20 (not sure if it's supposed to also be a remaster)

- Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You - 8/30

- O.A.R. (Of A Revolution) - King - 8/2

Metal:

- Anthrax - Worship Music - 9/13

- Black Tide - Post Mortem - 8/23

- Chimaira - Age of Hell - 8/16

- Eyes Set to Kill - White Lotus - 8/9

- Revocation - Chaos of Forms - 8/16

- Trivium - In Waves - 8/9

Other stuff:

- Black Sabbath - Sabotage (vinyl) - 8/9

- Jane's Addiction - The Great Escape Artist - 9/27

- Jimi Hendrix - Winterland (5-disc) - 9/13

- Mick Taylor - Mick Taylor (2011 remaster) - 9/6

- Primus - Green Naugahyde - 9/20

- The Horrors - Skying - 8/9

- Tori Amos - Night of Hunters - 9/20

• 1 month later...

Just heard Heritage from Opeth in its entirety. A complete disappointment. If this is Mikael's homage to 70's prog, then I want nothing to do with it. I am down with long and progressive songs, but the transitions are crucial to sound good rather than disjointed. This album is filled with horrible transitions and extremely uninspired songwriting. I really liked the piano title track, but the rest was positively forgettable. I am very bummed, because Opeth can write such damn good music, but it's been since Damnation that I have been floored by them.

Bring back the earthy forest feel - screw the prog... and the album cover sucks sucks sucks!!!

Just heard Heritage from Opeth in its entirety. A complete disappointment. If this is Mikael's homage to 70's prog, then I want nothing to do with it. I am down with long and progressive songs, but the transitions are crucial to sound good rather than disjointed. This album is filled with horrible transitions and extremely uninspired songwriting. I really liked the piano title track, but the rest was positively forgettable. I am very bummed, because Opeth can write such damn good music, but it's been since Damnation that I have been floored by them.

Bring back the earthy forest feel - screw the prog... and the album cover sucks sucks sucks!!!

I can not say I was too impressed by the new album, it's bordering on awful IMO. But I will give it more listens.

I like the cover art though, shows Mikael's sense of humor.

I can not say I was too impressed by the new album, it's bordering on awful IMO. But I will give it more listens.

I like the cover art though, shows Mikael's sense of humor.

I will give it more listens as well in hopes that it will grow on me, but I doubt it. All the ingredients are there to make an awesome album. Mike is a great clean singer, and the rest of the band is also great. I MUCH prefer Peter and Lopez, but since Mike does everything, most of the credit (and criticism) falls on him as it has been for a long time. I appreciate that he wants a different direction, and he is a fantastic musician through and through, but the song structures and the ideas for this album flat out SUCK. Damnation blows this album out of the water.

In other news, seems Mournful Congregation is touring the west coast at the end of the year. I'm going to see if I can go. Should be a good show.

I'm sad to hear about the new Opeth. Might have to cancel my preorder until I can hear it. I'm a huge Ghost Reveries fan, and I do like Watershed, but I don't love it. So if they are stepping even more in that direction it might not be for me. Like deepak I love prog, but it has to be GOOD prog. :)

Here are my current amazon preorders:

Ryan Adams - Ashes and Fire (11/1)

Umphrey's McGee - Death By Stereo (9/13, speaking of damn good prog)

King Crimson - Discipline 40th (10/27)

Mastodon - The Hunter (9/27)

Primus - Green Naugahyde (9/13)

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black 40th (10/27)

Wilco - The Whole Love (9/27)

There is an almost 8 minute album synopsis of the new Mournful Congregation album "The Book Of Kings":

http://www.myspace.c...nopsis-84005979

Tracklist:

1. The Catechism of Depression..............19:19

2. The Waterless Streams........................12:18

3. The Bitter Veils of Solemnity.................12:02

4. The Book of Kings................................33:10

Total:01:16:49

It is to be released in the US November 8th. Sad that this will be vastly overshadowed by "Heritage" when this is clearly the superior album just based off the incomplete synopsis... and I LOVE Opeth.

Tour dates for people on the west coast/southwest:

11/30 - Seattle, WA - Highline Bar (w/ Samothrace)

12/01 - Portland, OR - Plan B (w/ Merkstave)

12/02 - Arcata, CA - Jumbalaya's (w/ Ash Borer)

12/03 - Oakland, CA - The Metro (w/ Brainoil, Laudanum, Lycus)

12/04 - San Francisco, CA - TBA (w/ Vastum)

12/05 - Los Angeles, CA - TBA

12/06 - Scottsdale, AZ - The Rouge (w/ Rituals)

12/07 - El Paso, TX - Larry O’s Lounge (w/ Impetuous Ritual, Grave Upheaval, Ritual Necromancy, Obeisance)

12/08-11 - San Antonio, TX - Rites of Darkness Festival

Here's to hoping the 12/5 show will be near Orange County instead of some crowded ass West LA venue prettyprincess.gif

I am pretty confused by the direction Opeth were trying to take with this new album. It's not quite prog, not quite hard rock, definitely not metal and it's got some weird folk elements, but nowhere near the quality of the Damnation album. I've always enjoyed Akerfeldt vocals in the past, but here his voice often sounds forced and is even annoying at some points. I am a bit fan of Opeth early music up to Deliverance, but it seems to me they've been going through a midlife crisis for the past few albums and this one is a real clunker IMO.