Upcoming releases

Dusty Chalk

http://pitchfork.com...devils-orchard/

Thoughts?

Myself? kitty.jpg

In other news, the predictable and easily digestible yet still very satisfying Insomnium are releasing One For Sorrow October 18th in the U.S. Should make for a great driving on the freeway album like the others:

Edited by roadtonowhere08

I'll copy what I wrote from SH boards about the new Steven Wilson album: (I really like this album :D )

I’ve listened to the album a few times, mostly in stereo. I will say straight off this is now one of my favorite Steven Wilson releases amongst everything from Porcupine Tree, Bass Communion, IEM, Blackfield, etc. And this does say a lot as I wasn’t a big fan of the most recent Blackfield and several Porcupine Tree albums from this decade.

My favorite era for Porcupine Tree is the early more spacey progressive rock and I hear a lot of old school elements of that in Grace for Drowning. I don’t hear a bad song on Grace, and even the 23 minute Raider II never causes my mind to wander. I hear some influences from many classic prog bands in this album from early King Crimson to the harder rocking parts like in Red. All around an excellent album that flows really well.

Mastering- again really fantastic, with huge dynamics. There are times like in a classical piece when it will go from very, very quiet to explosive.

IMO if you like the album as much as I did the deluxe book is well worth it and it’s still available. The music on the third CD is great and definitely not filler. The entire package is well put together (similar to the deluxe book of Insurgentes).

I'll copy what I wrote from SH boards about the new Steven Wilson album: (I really like this album biggrin.png )...

Well, it's being worshiped over at Sputnikmusic: http://www.sputnikmu...e-for-Drowning/

Unfortunately, most of the votes might be coming from total morons if the comments thread below the review linked are any indication.

I agree with your comments, deepak. I am working my way through it, and I really like most of it. Almost all of it is at least good thus far. The only parts that irritate a bit are some of the more extended wankery parts spread very sparsely throughout. Parts of this album give me a very strong Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun vibe, which is always a good thing. The darker and more morose pieces are well done, which is good, because sometimes Steven borders (or sometimes bathes in) on the pretentious with the darker stuff. Shame that Steven's prog influences did not save Opeth's Heritage, as this album is clearly superior to it in every way. Overall, I am very, very impressed. It's better than anything he has done since In Absentia.

When does this man sleep?

EDIT: Finished. The album is out-fricking-standing!!! Blu-Ray copy, here I come!!!

Thanks for the heads up Deepak! I'm a big fan of Porcupine Tree's "mid-period", Stupid Dream being my favorite album from them, but I had never ventured into Steven Wilson solo stuff. I'm listening to this new album right now and I enjoy it a lot so far. Like roadtonowhere08 mentionned, there's a big Lightbulb Sun/Stupid Tree vibe on some tracks. 'Deform to form a star' is an awesome track.

Speaking of... although a fan, I've been ignoring She & Him's upcoming Christmas album. Then heard the first track on Soundcloud this morning.

She & Him - The Christmas Waltz by MergeRecords http://ow.ly/1yp3mG 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HOLY CRAP!!! New Anathema album in April? YES PLEASE!!!

KSCOPE206-350px.jpg

Anathema will return in April with Weather Systems, their brand new studio album.

Weather Systems is the follow-up to 2010’s We're Here Because We're Here. That album featured prominently in numerous end-of-year polls and the producer, Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree), has described it as 'definitely among the best albums I’ve ever had the pleasure to work on.'

The bar for Weather Systems has been set pretty high then but Daniel is certain that the album will exceed these lofty expectations, ‘it feels like we are at a creative peak right now, and this album reflects that. Everything from the production to the writing to the performances are a step up from our last album.’

He continues, ‘This is not background music for parties. The music is written to deeply move the listener, to uplift or take the listener to the coldest depths of the soul.’

The intertwining melodic structures of these profoundly beautiful songs are intensely powerful, yet simple. These are songs that will transport the listener closer to the heart of life, that is to say, to the heart of themselves.

It is also an album of polarity. The play of opposites; light and shade, birth and death, love and fear. The simple truths of life and loss, hope and strength and darker internal themes are all explored here.

The album was recorded in Liverpool, North Wales and Oslo, each place significant to Anathema past, present and future. The record was produced and mastered by 5 times Norwegian Grammy nominated Christer-André Cederberg (Animal Alpha, In the Woods..., Drawn), who Daniel has described as ‘a revelation. His calmness and brilliance has helped to bring about the greatest inter-band chemistry that Anathema have experienced together in their career.’

This album will please fans who call for more of Lee Douglas’s vocals, as her role within Anathema’s brand of alternative, melodic rock has matured to become an integral energy. In this way and more, Weather Systems is the sound of a band finding their voice and growing in stature, moving further along their artistic path with a truly stunning musical vision.

Their best ever work? ‘Not yet’ says Daniel, but he does believe that with Weather Systems they have surpassed previous glories; ‘we are pleased and proud of the record and we feel that, alongside the best moments of WHBWH, this record contains our very best work so far in what is becoming a long career.’

Weather Systems will be available on Kscope from April 16th 2012.

Tracklist:

01. Untouchable, part 1

02. Untouchable, part 2

03. The Gathering Of The Clouds

04. Lightning Song

05. Sunlight

06. The Storm Before The Calm

07. The Beginning And The End

08. The Lost Child

09. Internal Landscapes

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, SNAP. Late last year Hooverphonic released a boxed set of their 1996 debut. I'm not a huge fan of their later pop-oriented material, but A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular is one of my favorite pieces of lush, mid-90s trip hop ear candy evar.

SXPbp.jpg

15 years after its release, Hooverphonic presents a lavish deluxe re-issue box set version of their groundbreaking debut album "A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular". Founding band members Alex Callier, Raymond Geerts and Frank Duchêne opened their personal archives especially for this release.

This release will be available as an LP-sized box set and will contain the original album and 2 bonus CDs: one containing all official remixes of the singles from the album, and one containing 8 unreleased tracks, some of which are demo recordings with singer Esther Lybeert, who left the band before the album was recorded. Also available at last: the famous unreleased version of "Plus Profond" with the "007 And Counting" John Barry samples, which had been impossible to clear up to now. The box also contains the vinyl album (unavailable for a very long time - now re-issued on 180 g audiophile quality vinyl), 4 artwork prints on 12" format, and a 20 page book with archive photos and a new essay about the album and the time of its release, based on new interviews with Alex, Raymond and Frank.

This release will be available on a strictly limited quantity and is available only through http://www.myplaydir...om/hooverphonic and the band's official website: www.hooverphonic.com.

I have the original 1996 CD, and the crappy US pressing of the vinyl release. I will be all over this release like ...something on something else.

Fans of The Gathering!

The band is going to release a new album this September; however, a new track called "Heroes For Ghosts" has been released recently:

http://thegathering....roes-for-ghosts

I have to say, even though they no longer have Anneke, this song is as good as anything they have ever done! The songwriting is very solid, and the new singer, Silje Wergeland, is the PERFECT replacement for Anneke. The last album, "The West Pole" was great, but this track takes the band back to their former glory. It is that good.

Download it. Now.

Oh, SNAP. Late last year Hooverphonic released a boxed set of their 1996 debut. I'm not a huge fan of their later pop-oriented material, but A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular is one of my favorite pieces of lush, mid-90s trip hop ear candy evar.

I have the original 1996 CD, and the crappy US pressing of the vinyl release. I will be all over this release like ...something on something else.

Oh hell yes.

My expectations just went up a lot for this album!

You just made my day... I love Anathema, and didn't know they were going to release a new album!!! The track sounds fantastic, by the way.

Another band I really like that's releasing a new album soon is OSI. To those who don't know, it's by Kevin Moore (ex-keyboardist at DT, but he's gone into some electronica and ambient albums after leaving DT - and did fantastically well at it), Jim Matheos and Gavin Harrison (unbelievable drummer for Porcupine Tree):

EDIT: Anneke's album sounds great as well. Doesn't sound anything like what I'd expect though, knowing her from Ayreon.

EDIT 2 (sorry): SH*T. That's incredible:

Edited by Leonardo Drummond