Upcoming releases

Dusty Chalk

Yeah, Mike Portnoy was 86ed when the music apparently took a turn to not need drums in it according to an interview here: http://legacy.roadru...wsitemID=148615

That said, according to Wikipedia, 20% of it will have drums, and Gavin Harrison will perform those duties. I have to say, this is good news to me, and Portonoy is a joke and has been for a while (though he was fantastic during early DT albums). Gavin, on the other hand, was and is pure gold.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Great band:

Be'lakor, the melodic death metal / progressive death metal band from Australia, will be releasing their third album, "Of Breath and Bone” on June 4th, 2012.

Track listing:

1. Abeyance

2. Remnants

3. Fraught

4. Absit Omen

5. To Stir the Sea

6. In Parting

7. The Dream and the Waking

8. By Moon and Star

Album art can be found at their site: http://www.belakorband.com/

Edited by roadtonowhere08

• 5 weeks later...

Steven Wilson/Mikael Akerfeldt's collaboration project Storm Corrosion has leaked. It's different from Grace For Drowning and Heritage. It's more of an ambient album with progressive rock elements. I've listened to it twice and I think it's damn good (though I think I slightly favor Grace For Drowning). I can make certain comparisons to Scott Walker's Tilt and The Drift, though it's not as dark as either of those.

Steven Wilson has said there was essentially no mastering stage. What you hear in the mix is the final album. Also there is NO compression at all. And it shows, even on the crappy transcoded MP3 it has classical music type dynamics.

Hoping they do a tour and stop in Bahston

• 3 weeks later...

Oh good. Anything better than Heritage will be a step in the right direction for Mr. A as far as I'm concerned. I'll have a listen tonight when it's quiet.

Have you had a chance to hear it? I'm glad to finally be able to listen to a non-transcoded MP3s. I've grown to appreciate it even more now, there is a lot of subtlety to the album. And the vinyl sounds great.

stormvinyl1.jpg

Alright, I just gave Storm Corrosion a full run though. I would not put it on the same level as Grace For Drowning (Deform... and Postcard alone easily put that album over this), but it is a very good album and a vast improvement over Heritage. It is a great blend of ambient, progressive rock, and folk that really sound great late at night. It's going to need at least a few more listens to fully click with me though.

Oh, and the sound quality is glorious. It's going to sound goooooood on floorstanding speakers.

Agreed I still like Grace more. Seeing that entire album played live was something else. Steven Wilson also released a live CD of Grace For Drowning taken from various shows, it's OOP now, but up at the usual joints.

From Storm Corrosion album, my favorite tracks are Storm Corrosion and Ljudet Innan.

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think of the new Neil Young & Crazy Horse release? Seems to be getting mixed reviews, I am on the side of thinking it's a big stinker. But I haven't really liked any NY albums since Sleeps With Angels (not counting the Archives set which was awesome)