CanJam 2011 is RMAF (Denver CO 10/14-16)

Asr

I had a great time last year and I am hoping to make it this year since the Langerado lineup sucks. This is a fun event and I am looking forward to it.

i liked it and don't get how it isn't like the other CanJams, other than the rotating locations. seemed like CanJam to me except with tons of speaker equipment to look at outside of the HF room. maybe the view from behind the table is just different

i also liked the attendees that stopped by the HF room because they were way less critical than at a HF-only event.

Edited by justin

You would think that without a regular CJ that those who would normally travel for one don't just go to CJ RMAF. The headphone stuff doesn't mean that much to me but for those that do care, they have the option to hang in the CJ room and check out all the great speaker rigs. What helps is having an active local group to rally the troops to bring their rigs.

I'm going to try and make it this year (famous last words!).

It's usually just a week or two after the Monterey Jazz Fest so I'm too burnt and/or broke. This year, it's almost a month after so that shouldn't be a factor.

I haven't been in several years but I always enjoy it.

I'd be a lot more willing to go if it weren't for the "CanJam" label. CanJam is about the members, and this is very much about the vendors.

Well the same can be said about HF in general nowadays. It's a lot less about the community and more about the vendors...which is why more and more posts get deleted on a daily basis based purely on the fact that they say something that goes against one of the advertisers...

I have to say, in hindsight, I would have preferred CanJam not be used. Gene came up with the term and I was the first one to use it for an event. My big problem with Jude is that he takes and takes and really gives nothing back. Having said that there is little we can do to change that at this point. It has been used for the past 3 years at RMAF. I know next to nothing about trademark law so I have no idea what could be done or should be done. In the end, whether it's CanJam Chicago or CanJam at RMAF it's just an event for us to attend. If more members showed up and either brought gear or just came to check out the gear, it would be no different than other CanJams except for all the speaker rigs that are available to check out. I do not get the push back for this event. I hope to be there again this year because last year I had a great time, was able to hang out with friends and check out all the great gear. If you are not coming because the timing is bad, understood. If you are not coming because of the name used, I'm not sure what to say.

Right. It's farther down the list of things because 1) it's not a mini-meet, and 2) because it's not really a canjam and 3) because they insist on using the name CanJam

Is that really all that hard to understand?

I'm not going because I would rather go to the small meets, but it doesn't annoy me that it's not a small meet. It DOES annoy the shit out of me that the name used for a member-centered party was taken to refer to a vendor-driven trade show that's not a "jam" at all...

I understand. I was pointing out that was not what you said earlier. To me is was a distinction without meaning. My comment before we got to this point was not to address why Dan wasn't attending, which was not all that important to me when I posted earlier. I was making a general comment not directed to anyone in particular after reading all the negative comments that preceded my post.

I had a great time last year and I am hoping to make it this year since the Langerado lineup sucks. This is a fun event and I am looking forward to it.

Hah, just checked out the lineup myself. Childish Gambino! That's the black kid from Community, rapping. He's good.

Other than that, pure suck.