Joe Grado website

recstar24

• 8 months later...

Quick update. On a complete leap of faith I decided to send in my hp1000 for the upgrade back in January. I called up joe and he was actually a little more open about details than what I remember in the past. He mentioned a new cable, and something along the lines of taking apart the headphones and remachining the enclosures to alter the porosity/density of the enclosures or something like that. I called a month ago and he told me to be patient or he was more than happy to send the cans and check back.

Just spoke with joe today and he was finishing up my upgrade and he would send them by the end of the week. He also tells me I should be glad I waited as he recently came up with a new earpad design. He said something about finding a way to modify the foam that increased the output dramatically and increase detail "400%". Regardless of the joe Grado mumbo jumbo I am excited.

I had just finished the design of my latest laboratory tone arm and was enjoying the reduction of my work load to a half day ( 12 hours a day ).

What to do with all my spare time ??

I love this quote. Truly the old school mentality of hard work that I see in so many older gentlemen in my field of work. That is lost on my generation (including myself).

When I sent it in previously it was a repair, as one of the drivers was blown. He put in new drivers, but everything was the same, and he happened to apply new magic goop to the inside of the enclosure. This recent upgrade is what I believe people call the "i" upgrade and includes a new cable and the enclosures are modified further beyond goop to the best of my knowledge - on the phone he said it involves refinishing the enclosures to change the porosity of the metal or something along those lines Mumba jumbo etcetera. And apparently he has a new earpad design or modification.

• 2 months later...

Since Steve Guttunberg's tweet. There have been "Joe Grado is dead" threads popping up all over the place- headfi; Steve Hoffman's; Audiokarma...

Joe is alive and annoyed by people spreading rumours without checking the facts first. It was his older brother Angelo who passed away, aged 92.