Joe Grado website

recstar24

While we're at it a short PSA -- it seems JG has gotten quite shady in his business practices as he ages so buyer beware if you happen to decide you want to throw money at him.  What I've read is enough to scare the shit out of me to eternally kid gloves now my stocker HP-2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622756/joseph-grado-signature-product-hp2i-upgraded-hp-1000-headphone-information-journal-and-comparative-review-on-hiatus

There's a link at the top of the post which directs you to the beginning of tamahome77's saga.  He is/was not alone it seems and he has since received the pair back from JG but at much higher cost than originally quoted.  As a result he's having to sell them to recoup what he can.

I genuinely wish it weren't so but it's quite unnerving to read.

If true... yeesh.  Pretty damning.

When I first heard Joe was reconditioning the HP series a few years ago, I was struck by the stupidly high prices he was charging.  Since they are already fantastic phones, what did people really expect out of them?  Why mess with a good (and just about impossible to replace) thing - even if it is by the man himself?

• Like 1

Agreed, Dan. He is past the point of senility, and long past the point of having good enough hearing to be trusted. He was a titan in this business, to be sure, but that time has passed.

Currently, his work preys upon the worst tendencies of "audiophiles" -- what if it could sound better with some magic?

Currently, his work preys upon the worst tendencies of "audiophiles" -- what if it could sound better with some magic?

This is something I have seen in many kinds of expensive hobbies. 

I get the impression that lots of people could not spend enough money on a (insert desirable thing to spend lots of money on) so they send it off *IMMEDIATELY* after receiving it to get it upgraded or fix a problem they once heard one guy might have had. 

Cameras, Cars, Audio, Bikes, you name it. 

It is kind of disgusting with vintage gear. At best it dries up repair parts for people who actually wear their shit out. At worst it just makes your own gear worthless, or your guru disappears with your gear. 

PS: Totally guilty and hypocritical for what I did to my Melos. Just saying. 

• Like 1

Agreed, Dan. He is past the point of senility, and long past the point of having good enough hearing to be trusted. He was a titan in this business, to be sure, but that time has passed.

True but I don't understand the need of preying upon people for money at his age.  I mean he is way past his retirement after all.

I know there's a lot of animosity toward John, perhaps because Grado's best headphones were Joe's, not John's, but I think it deserves to be mentioned that running a profitable headphone business out of the U.S. that has no style whatsoever is not easy.  I don't know how John does it, but he does.  Also, my RS-1s are fantastic, and that's John's doing.

Bears mentioning, even if this is not the John Grado thread.

You're right, Joe probably would. Crazy old coot. Who yells at Ryan?

Yeah! There was guy Martin Mckenzie who was kind of his go to guy who you would talk to and he would help you keep joe on track. Joe found out I was talking to him and scolded me for trying to go around him. However i did get my cans the next week.