Joe Grado website

recstar24

Hmmm, can it be that "e" versions are all by default mini-plug now to better suit the iPod mainstream crowd and then a push-on 1/4" adapter is thrown in for the audiophile crowd? The pic below is from the Grado website (specifically, the timeline). This would essentially phase out their mini-to-1/4" adapter, no? (see 2nd pic) And it is certainly cheaper to produce, thereby reducing costs when you compare the two!

rs1e-beauty.jpg

21Rw00lx68L.jpg              VS         41QiNqdCYhL._SX466_.jpg

I am intrigued by the larger drivers enough to grab a pair.  I deeply hate the 1/8" connectors, though.  If you're going to wear WWII-era headspeakers out in public, you should complete the look with a needlessly complicated dual cable and adapter.  Likewise, if you're listening at home and have an amp with a mini plug, you should be made to suffer.

Also, we all know that bringing back the PS-1 would never work.  Even if it sounded the same, it would not sound the same.

• Like 1

I'm quite curious. I've read some things about the PS-1, but most of it just about how rare they are. Where do they stand sound-wise compared to other Grados?

To me they are the best John Grado. The bass is insane and that is with bowls. Very clear and not as harsh as some of the thee Grados, doesn't sound as peaky

Nonetheless it looks like the miniplug by default design holds to be true. Just checked out a thread on head-fi where someone posted pics of their PS500e and it confirms this (also smaller packaging):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722571/grado-e-series/45#post_10633871

I hope the driver change is for the positive! The size could have changed but what of the material? Too early to tell. Either way, I just got done with selling off my Grado museum a couple months back, and I'm not planning to restock again.