· · · — — — · · ·

blessingx

Help. So it's looking like I need another source. This is equally caused by a room change and stupidly selling the 13 Parasounds I owned recently. I strangely work for company that gives one-off bonuses with gift certificates. Although the list of certs is vast (if only I was looking for a iron skillet, maternity dress or rifle), for audio it comes down to Amazon.com. This is a secondary source so if possible it would be great if I could find an Amazonian solution here. That would probably mean one of these. I always have a Pico DAC to fall back to, but the Parasounds (and Lavry) show I can stretch further. There are some Benchmarks, a PS Audio and some Musical Infidelities here. What do you guys think? Money no object... unless it's too much. Likely paired with a Luxman P-1u or B22 with various Senns.

dsavitsk, you may in the end be right, though I struggle with the cert/cash ratios.

Thanks guys for your feedback. As always appreciate the comparisons. So far...

Musical Fidelity V-DAC $299

(have my doubts, though V-Link has been a great surprise)

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC $699

Cambridge Audio DacMagic $429

PS Audio - Digital Link III $799

Wadia 151 PowerDAC $1,195

Benchmark - DAC-1 PRE $1595

I got nuthin'. Although I am a big fan of Musical (In)Fidelity, I have been underwhelmed by anything other than highest end of their DACs in recent years (their X-tubes series being an exception). I was extremely disappointed to find out that a lot of them are topped out at 48kHz. I'd go for the Grace Design, but I suspect you need to find something that's actually considered to be sold by amazon, rather than an external website. Benchmark is certainly decent.

An acquaintance of mine tried the Grace (I didn't) and told me it wasn't up to the hype the Stereophile boys gave it.I for one would try the Wadia just out of curiosity or the PS if budget could go that high. Otherwise, the Benchmark is a safe bet. Not extraordinary but damn good for the price.

Who's writing their copy, Ray?

I've not seen that quote on their website, but yeah, even the stuff on their website leaves a bit to be desired. I've even messaged one of the guys that I was dealing with about some blatant mistakes on the website but they've never been fixed. Nonetheless it is a darn good little DAC/Amp for the money.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, guys at the risk of wearing out the HC kindness, I have another question. After visiting the California Audio Show last weekend I've been thinking of going vinyl instead of a second DAC. So, provided the same scenario - sold by Amazon (which mostly means a sub-set of Audio Advisor), anyone have any suggestions of a table to consider? Have ready read half the vinyl thread (rest tonight), several Steve Hoffman threads and climbed gerenally through the intertubes for the last week and still confused on how important pitch control is, how irritating a manual over semi-automatic would be, etc. Will investigate carts in a bit. It all started when I saw/heard the sexy Thorens TD 309, but there's the workhorse Technics SL-1200MK2, which I've heard can be greatly modded, Rega RP1 w/Performance Pack, etc. Here's a list, but in normal Amazon fashion, not all results come up even when 'turntable' in the title. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. This is all very new to me.

41g12sCkhUL.jpg

Edited by blessingx