MF X-DAC v3

TheSloth

Just got this stack last week (except the top bit). As a combo, it sounds really fantastic and it's really got me listening to my headphones again. Way better than the Desktop DAC in that little convertible (that isn't wildly surprising...). I was somewhat skeptical about the X-10 (tube buffer), but I think it sounds better with than without so it can't be complete BS. Anyone else heard this setup? (I'm selling the X-CAN v3 that came with it if anyone wants it...).

I see there is a new MF X-DAC v8 (3 + 1 = 8?) which includes the PSU, and tube section, as well as USB input in 1 bigger box.

Glamour shot attached

post-117-12951151982008_thumb.jpg

YEAH! Love the avatar, which for everyone who thinks head-fi mods need supervision was inserted some time over the last few hours without my consent! :dance:

The DAC is really extremely good. I'd say it's strong and weak points are that it's extremely clean sounding. I think some of that 'cleanness' is something to do with the sound of that ?2 opamp they always use as their output stage, and might be better determined leanness. But there is also a real sense of spaciousness in the sound - there is instrument separation without artificiality, and that's just good design.

I never tried it with the wall wart supply, and have/had no need to because of the PSU. Though, as the wall wart and PSU supply AC that is rectified inside the unit, I wonder if the PSU might make less of a difference than in a system where the outboard unit feeds the final DC to the amp.

• 1 year later...