KGSSHV, Balanced Dynahi Rev A and DynaFET board run

Lil Knight

Lil knight just shipped me the boards.. Will keep you updated.

"Alrite, just dropped the box at the PO. 68lbs. Shipping cost $455.

Total of 27 people in the list, you can just divide equally the shipping cost for them. There should be 1 KGSSHV onboard spare set, let me know if this is correct when you receive the package.

Tracking number is CP8660092289VN. It will show up on usps.com after a couple of days. Should take 8-9 days to arrive.

Thanks

Tran"

All the boards were shipped! smile.png Took me quite a bit longer than expected, sorry about that.

I have 4x KGSSHV sets (either onboard or offboard), 2x Dynafet sets, 2x Dynahi sets left and a lot of spare Dyna PSUs and KGSSHV amp boards. Late comers can take those but I think I should wait until everyone on the list receives the boards to see if I missed anything.

Edited by Lil Knight

All the boards were shipped! smile.png Took me quite a bit longer than expected, sorry about that.

I have 4x KGSSHV sets (either onboard or offboard), 2x Dynafet sets, 2x Dynahi sets left and a lot of spare Dyna PSUs and KGSSHV amp boards. Late comers can take those but I think I should wait until everyone on the list receives the boards to see if I missed anything.

I would like a KGSSHV set of you have any left, that I might at some point upgrade my KGSS so I'm not in a rush. Thanks.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

I would like a KGSSHV set of you have any left, that I might at some point upgrade my KGSS so I'm not in a rush. Thanks.

I only have 4x KGSSHV psu boards left, along with a lot of amp boards. Reverse thing with the Dynas. I'll order some more boards to make them full sets.

@charlo89: Give it 2-3 weeks. Airmail Registered = USPS Int' First Class. Can be really slow sometimes.

I only have 4x KGSSHV psu boards left, along with a lot of amp boards. Reverse thing with the Dynas. I'll order some more boards to make them full sets.

@charlo89: Give it 2-3 weeks. Airmail Registered = USPS Int' First Class. Can be really slow sometimes.

Thanks, no problem waiting. It's my fault for not seeing this sooner. One question - it seems that offboard heatsinks could be more versatile for a wider variety of case sizes that could be used for the amp, correct? Is there any other advantage to onboard heatsinks other than making it more compact? My current KGSS has the onboard heat sinks poking up through the top of the case like a supercharger - pretty cool looking.

Yes, of course with the offboard, you have the flexibility to choose whatever heatsink size you want, as long as they fit and can sink all the heat. I'm lucky to be able to source sinks' that match the boards perfectly and they are dirt cheap.

Offboard = higher voltage. But whether you could hear the difference between the onboard and offboard, I'm not sure about that. I'm hoping the boards will reach Dr Gilmore soon so that he can build both and describe the difference. No idea why USPS takes so long to deliver the damn thing.

I'd like a KGSSHV board / onboard PSU from your leftovers, when will you be accepting requests for those?

To clarify - the KGSSHV consists of 2 each amp boards, left and right channels and 1 each PSU board.

The PSU board is only available with onboard heatsinks, there are two different style amp boards available.

One style has onboard heatsinks (2 each pcbs required) - or - the second style which utilizes off-board heatsinks. (2 each pcbs required)

My prototype KGSSHV (pictured below - click to enlarge) has all three boards that employ onboard heatsinks.

The other style amp pcb is physically smaller, allowing for a more compact build, especially if one wants to do a sleek

two case version ala the BHSE. (sans tubes of course)

post-2625-0-59856800-1314722400_thumb.jp

No, none whatsoever. Totally black noise floor.

I was worried about that initially, the SumR trafo I ordered had core band shielding.

Since we are on that subject, I will detail some changes made since this pic was taken.

The internal cable shown has 1KV insulation but no special shielding around it.

When I changed over to a quad DACT I replaced the input cables to the DACT

with shielded Belden 1800 stuff to insure good noise rejection.

Of course I cleaned up the other cable's routing as well and got rid of the wire nuts.

That was for testing only. As you know, I had a lot of that to do when I torched the PSU twice.

The trafo is also now much larger, occupying that entire corner of the case.

Huh, I thought it fit in a single 3U case? This is what I am planning to do.

That is what El_Doug said in post #981 of the KGSSHV thread.

I have not done the math, so I dont know for sure.

External heatsink and possibly trafo selection would impact the finished size.

If only we could fit the KGSSHV onboard in a single case with the new power supply tongue.png Said case would not fit in my rack though

Single case build for the onboard KGSSHV minimum size is 16"W X 16"D X 4"H. I used a Par Metal case of this size.

3" high is doable, but special HV insulated sheeting would be required to keep the underside pcb traces from shorting out to the case.

(Or use shorter height heatsinks. KG warned against this, as things could overheat.)

Edited by livewire