Headamp GS-1 or Gilmore Lite?

volcomjerk

Hey guys, wanted to ask you for some advice. I'm about to make an amp purchase and I've always wanted to hear some of Justin's amps. However now I'm stuck in one of those am I making the right decision by spending this much money for the source that I have.

What's my lame source?

An iPod with Lossless codecs going through line out. I know its not the greatest source but it's also very hard to match the convenience of an iPod. This is mainly for office use so I'm not in the market for a portable amp anymore. I'd rather invest the money into something a little more solid.

So I guess my main question is...

Is the GS-1 overkill for the iPod or should I just stick with the Gilmore Lite?

Also remember I can later upgrade to a better source. I was thinking more of a USB source rather than a tricked out modded cd player.

You'll definitely get improvement with a good amp, and upgrading the source later works fine.

Hey guys, wanted to ask you for some advice. I'm about to make an amp purchase and I've always wanted to hear some of Justin's amps. However now I'm stuck in one of those am I making the right decision by spending this much money for the source that I have.

What's my lame source?

An iPod with Lossless codecs going through line out. I know its not the greatest source but it's also very hard to match the convenience of an iPod. This is mainly for office use so I'm not in the market for a portable amp anymore. I'd rather invest the money into something a little more solid.

So I guess my main question is...

Is the GS-1 overkill for the iPod or should I just stick with the Gilmore Lite?

Also remember I can later upgrade to a better source. I was thinking more of a USB source rather than a tricked out modded cd player.

Guest sacd lover

Why not one of those sexy SE Lites w/DPS in black...?

I second that thought. Unless you need the preamp option I would get the Lite. You save $250 and the sound quality is going to be very close.

I just ordered the Black SE Lites with the DPS.

However, now I'm in the market for a good USB DAC Source around the 300 dollar range.

Is the Micro DAC as good as it gets?

Apple Airport Express is better than any usb source I've heard, if you're starting from itunes.

Apple Airport Express is better than any usb source I've heard, if you're starting from itunes.

Wait... you're kidding right and yes I am starting from iTunes. I have no problem getting an Airport Express at all if this is true. Even better than a Micro DAC?

I'm hoping for warmth since the GS Lites might lack in that department.

I'm going to second this, the internal DAC on the AEX may not be the best, but it sounds pretty darn good for how much it costs. I have an optical cable going to a DAC-AH, but I was really happy with just the AEX before I got the DAC-AH.

Way more important than the quality of the DAC is that you're electrically isolating the dac from the computer. I've got a CEC DA53, which is a great dac and has USB in, but I still prefer to feed it from the airport instead, so that I eliminate possible interference. It's a growth path that doesn't leave you stuck with a piece of equipment you won't want later, unlike most compromise gear.

Way more important than the quality of the DAC is that you're electrically isolating the dac from the computer. I've got a CEC DA53, which is a great dac and has USB in, but I still prefer to feed it from the airport instead, so that I eliminate possible interference. It's a growth path that doesn't leave you stuck with a piece of equipment you won't want later, unlike most compromise gear.

I have never even thought to think of the AEX as a USB DAC... amazing... my mom has one, my dad has one and it would be the last piece of equipment I would think to have decent qualities.

I like itunes precisely because I have a large library. It's simple, it works, I don't have to futz with it. I don't tweak my tags, I don't fiddle with EQ settings per track, I don't build playlists. I listen with party shuffle, and when I get in a mood for something, I drop it in the playlist.

I'm sure iTunes is great on the Mac. But with a 8000+ track library with iTunes7 on PC you can count the seconds it takes to load; usually around 15-20 seconds (And no native support for FLAC, but it can now be added in with a plugin). This is on a really modern computer; Athlon 64, 2 GB ram, yada yada

Plus how can you forget the CoverFlow feature and album cover retriever built in? iTunes is great if you can live without having the hardcore audiophile quirks such as FLAC and support for OGG. Other than that it really is the best one out there.

Hardcore audiophile bullshit? Yeah when I've spent thousands on gear, I'll take a player that can at least bypass Windows kmixer ::)