Schiit Bifrost

Asr

They mentioned that they were working on a DAC when I talked to them during the last Bay Area meet. These guys have a lot of experience making nice DACs, so I'm sure they know what they are doing.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the following in the FAQ section:

For audio, USB still doesn’t offer the performance of SPDIF, which is a dedicated digital audio interface.

This is surprising coming from people selling a new Async USB DAC. I would like to know why they think their Async USB (and Streamlength, etc) is still inferior to SPDIF. :blink:

The FAQ http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-bifrost/ makes fun, interesting reading indeed.

Some debunking of specsmanship (e.g real world SNR < 24 bits , even on a 32 bit Dac )

I like their take on "MOAR (non original) samples is not necessarily better"

Interesting to see how they perform (sound/measure :) ) when these turn up, and the "Other" Dacs Jason mentioned

"

1. Specs/etc for other DACs? Nope, not much more info there, sorry, except to note they are definitely separate models, rather than improvements on Asgard. Both will be in larger chassis. The top end one I really can't talk about because I was serious about redefining everything.

2. S/N, etc--Mr.Scary, we're VERY conservative about all of our specs. Don't judge a product by a single quantitative number. Bifrost is going to scare the heck out of people, sound-wise. The others--well, it's a whole new world, isn't it?

"

Couldn't care less about this DAC but if these people are going to rape my heritage why the fuck can't they spell it properly? :angry:

Bifrost seems alright to me, and I think we have about equal claims to that heritage.

I even find it vaguely poetic to name a DAC after a bridge from the legends. Looks pretty too.

Nordost on the other hand sounds like the name of a consortium of nordic cheeseproducers.

I'm Bicurious about this whole usb vs spdif business, especially regarding their recommendation of plugging straight into motherboards and such. I've tried that already, and I didn't particularly like what I heard. This is compared to the dedicated sound card that I am currently using. I don't know how the sound card's spdif compares to an async usb thing. My assumption has always been that the usb would be better than a motherboard's digital output.

Edited by atothex

I'm looking forward to trying this, could be fun for not big $. I've wondered about the AKM DAC's, but something like the Exciter was too much money for me to potentially waste trying. At least this will have discreet output, even if it is built to a price point.

I had a couple of older motherboards that had SPDIF coax out, but never tried them on a DAC. When I did start getting into some computer audio, I do know that I liked the coax out from my $30 Diamond PCI sound card better than any USB I had heard to date, even on 16/44 material. The limited amount of HiRez I have was even better.....

Edited by skullguise

The only AKM-based gear I have heard was Yamaha or Esoteric and the Japanese "sound" is more towards clinical accuracy, so I can't say I liked the result. May as much have been a shit choice of gear to try them with at the time as anything.

I'm definitely curious as to what their more expensive DACs will be like with the 009s here.

• 5 weeks later...

I understand one of them used to work for Theta and designed the iv conversion and analog stage of Theta V. Thera V was a wonderful dac in it's time and is still a nice dac for the money used. The new dac should sound ok, I think.

• 6 months later...

The only AKM-based gear I have heard was Yamaha or Esoteric and the Japanese "sound" is more towards clinical accuracy, so I can't say I liked the result. May as much have been a shit choice of gear to try them with at the time as anything.

I'm definitely curious as to what their more expensive DACs will be like with the 009s here.

I had the Cary Xciter with that AKM chip for a while. It sounded excellent. Never sounded clinical or sterile or anything like that. Of course I didn't level-match it and compare against other DACs, so take that for what it's worth...just an impression.