Articles

blessingx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Continuing the 2020 news...

Keith Jarrett Confronts a Future Without the Piano

The pathbreaking musician reveals the health issues that make it unlikely he will ever again perform in public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/arts/music/keith-jarrett-piano.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

• Sad 5

Incredibly sad. I can't imagine Keith Jarrett being unable to play the piano. Ric and I were in one of those audiences that he harranged for coughing too much, and many in the audience turned against him and openly heckled him. A meaner person might suggest a karmic retribution, but even that night he returned to the stage and took requests until he got back into the music and played quite awhile longer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Wow, yeah, that’s just what a stroke is like.  There’s a cognitive disconnect.  The only reason I figured out right away that I was having one was because my mother had started having them and we (my sisters and I) were doing research and sharing with each other.  But I will admit, it took me a while.  I feel very fortunate that I completely recovered.  I can’t even imagine what that feels like, emotionally, to realize it’s permanent.  That would be hell.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:31 PM, Voltron said:

Incredibly sad. I can't imagine Keith Jarrett being unable to play the piano. Ric and I were in one of those audiences that he harranged for coughing too much, and many in the audience turned against him and openly heckled him. A meaner person might suggest a karmic retribution, but even that night he returned to the stage and took requests until he got back into the music and played quite awhile longer. 

That concert and hearing for the first time in an concert space, certainly an acoustically great full concert space, but sounds I never had similarly before, a person within sight, but down the isle, rotating his thumb on a water bottle label, a foot slightly shifting, in likely a still shoe, a row back and down... I mean even when I type that it sounds like an exaggeration... except I mentioned both after the show. I'd never experience massive group silence before. That degree of silence anyway. Even it it was interrupted with yells. Artist v. audience is always an interesting battle, but Jarrett made me a convert to his side. I can't thank you enough for the invite.

I hope Jarrett can find contentment within his situation and maybe even find a way to still musically create to his high standards. 

And sorry to hear you've gone through it Dusty. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the last concerts we went to pre-lockdown was Graham Nash - and evening of music and recollections. Completely excellent in all regards

Prior to that Neil Young in one of the weirdest concerts I've been to. At one point he and his band turned their backs to the audience, went to the back of the stage and jammed for 20 minutes. And that was one of the less strange things.

Also Graham Nash and David Crosby (who have since fallen out big time). At one point Nash said to Crosby "behave - or you'll have to play with Neil Young and go deaf". Superb, absolutely superb.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

50 Reasons to Love Joni Mitchell’s ‘Blue’

Mitchell’s “Blue” exists in that rarefied space beyond the influential or even the canonical. It is archetypal: The heroine’s journey that Joseph Campbell forgot to map out. It is the story of a restless young woman questioning everything — love, sex, happiness, independence, drugs, America, idealism, motherhood, rock ’n’ roll — accompanied by the rootless and idiosyncratically tuned sounds she so aptly called her “chords of inquiry.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/06/20/arts/music/joni-mitchell-blue.html?referringSource=articleShare

• Thanks 1