Knives and engraving

Smeggy

As of a couple of weeks ago I'm now officially in business with a license and everything :)

I've been looking into ways of diversifying, and with that in mind I've been delving into other areas and letting a bit of my artistic (autistic?) side out. I bought a nice little engraver to go along with all my Proxxon mini tools. I'm also thinking of getting into knives and such. I don't know if that makes any sense but it's me thinking aloud. I'm not really a knife type but doing wood grips is fun. I don't actually know anyone into knives so I don't know what most look for in one. Any of you guys into knives? If so, what is it you look for. As to the engraving, I've had quite a positive experience with them and lots of people liking them. Any thoughts. I've got to get this business off the ground quickly before I run out of cash and get foreclosed on :blink:

knife1h.jpg

knife3.jpg

engraved.jpg

engraved2.jpg

skullye.jpg

I'm open to any thoughts and ideas.

Edited by Smeggy

Beautiful work! I know from sad experiance ( 2 years as a self-employed furniture maker) what a difficult thing it is to make a go of something like this.

One small idea might be to open yourself up for DIY chassis engraving. Sort of the hand made alternative to Front Panel Express. I could definitely use a service like this once or twice a year. Not enough business in the headphone community, but would certinly be attractive to the DIY sector of the larger audio world. A couple of hand engraved front panels on a Nelson Pass prototype, even if you did them gratis, might be a good way to get noticed.

Seriously cool smegs and good luck with this.

On the knife front - you thinking more along the lines of kitchen or sport. One area you might look into is making "costume" pieces like a skean dhu for the Celts in the NW. I know there was a Scottish shop in PDX and am sure there must be one near you. Custom handled carving sets for newly weds etc ( good B rate slash movies too ) - these things sell if you can get your name out there.

..dB

Cheers Don.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking at right now, just trying to find as many things as I can to get up there and sell before my world goes pear shaped. I have seen some nice looking black ceramic kitchen blades that would look sexy with nice grips but of course, now way to buy them until I can sell some stuff. Damn chickens and eggs! :rolleyes:

Also doesn't help that my ebay name is staxuser and have zero feedback.

Edited by Smeggy

If you can source some good quality high carbon steel blanks and make a set of ten steak knives with a block holder, I would be interested and would shill for you on the 'bay. It would have to be in October sometime.

Preferably the steak knife blanks are swedish steel or some high carbon content and if they are stamped as opposed to forged that they not be the generic high chromium flexy type like you find in the mall retailers. Oh, burl or inlay handles would be uber.

Hmm, just so happens I was looking at some pocket knives to see how hard conversion would be. I certainly looks possible.

Anyway, the steak knife blades I was looking at are forged high carbon steel. They cost a bit but not ridiculously so. Can't say they're Swedish though. I'll have a look around.

Hmm, just so happens I was looking at some pocket knives to see how hard conversion would be. I certainly looks possible.

Anyway, the steak knife blades I was looking at are forged high carbon steel. They cost a bit but not ridiculously so. Can't say they're Swedish though. I'll have a look around.

Swedish steel is not mandatory, just good the fact that the blanks are forged high carbon steel has potential and is certainly better than stamped stainless steel IMHO anyway, others may not care.