Best currently available closed headphone?

TheSloth

I'm looking for a pair of closed headphone for myself and a friend, and we'll be using them for classical music, with decent amplification. Not looking for IEM's (I have Ety's).

I've heard various AT closed cans and they just don't work for my ears with this music, so I'm not considering them. I've also heard the Ultrasone ProLine 750, which also didn't work, but I haven't heard the other ultrasones.

That leaves things like the Senn. 280, Beyer 250, Beyer 770 (I suspect I will find it strident), AKG K271 (the graph seems to have basically no bass), AKG K81DJ, and the Ultrasones I haven't heard (HeadRoom rate the Hi-Fi 700 and ProLine 650's highly, and in general I've found my ears to be quite similar to theirs).

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've heard pretty much all the Ultrasones phones and honestly they are all pretty terrible. While I'm not a big fan of the W5000 they really probably are the best currently available closed phone, which just goes to show the sad state of full-sized headphones (especially closed phones).

The state of current-production full-sized headphones is indeed pretty pathetic compared to back in the day, and this is even more so for closed headphones. I would have to say that the W5000 is the best closed headphone still in production, even though I can hear certain problems with them.

Why is it so pathetic? Speaker manufacturers have managed to make excellent closed box loudspeakers. I suspect it's more a matter of the fact that with headphones, you can have an 'open baffle' without any negative consequences save isolation, so the manufacturers just can't really be bothered with a top shelf closed headphone. I wonder what that Ultrasone Edition 9 sounds like. The price is now only somewhat ridiculous, unlike the edition 7 which was completely ridiculous. The specs aren't like any of their other cans, so the driver and design is clearly different.

Who has actually heard a 4070?

Well master of all things Stax, Carl, on the other site, HAD one (managed to destroy it somehow, I didn't quite follow it all). He though it sounded a lot better than the W5000.

I'd be surprised if the Edition 9 sounded much different from the rest of their cans, but I guess you never know. I thought I heard it was using the same titanium drivers as the Proline 750/2500 though.

Beyer DT250?

Beyer DT231? (not sure if this is current production or not)

Beyer DT660

Koss Pro 4AAT (or is it 4AAAT) and other variants of the 4AA

The 880's are semi-open. So are the Sony MDR-7506/-V6.

I thought one of the other models (DT990/DT931) was closed, but it appears not...I wonder what I have?

...hey! When did Beyer start making a headphone amp?

Senn 280 - if you love a nasel midrange and fugly looks, this is the can for you

Beyer 250-80 - reasonably flat frequency response that lacks in highs and have a small closed in soundstage

Beyer 770 - horrible boomy base that overlaps the midrange

AKG K271 - I only heard them with a replacement cable but they were decent because non of the frequencies really stuck out and the sound was a little less closed in then the beyers

You could always take a chance on some closed woodies often found in the forsale forum if your feeling adventurous. :P

Biggie.

They actually look good in the specs, though the graph would point to them being very bass heavy. Do they sound that way in real life?

No, i don't think so. They go deep, but i don't think there's too much bass. If you like HD650's tonal accuracy, they are in the same vein but a little less refined. Only problem is the narrowed soundstage but i guess you know the limitation closed supraaural design have.

The hd25 senns that were recommended up are worth a try. Also if you can get your hands on woodified CD3000, they are also worth consideration. The regular CD3000s were too bright for my taste but, maybe a laid back amp may work.

For reference, I have not heard any beyer cans, (the ones Dusty mentioned, I need to get together with him to to this someday) or the koss either.

cheers.

The hd25 senns that were recommended up are worth a try. Also if you can get your hands on woodified CD3000, they are also worth consideration. The regular CD3000s were too bright for my taste but, maybe a laid back amp may work.

For reference, I have not heard any beyer cans, (the ones Dusty mentioned, I need to get together with him to to this someday) or the koss either.

cheers.

Woodied CD3000s with PS1 drivers are spectacular, as well...

the woodied headphile 770s when paired with the right amp sound better than they have any right to.