Summer 2012 in Berkeley

crappyjones123

A friend and myself are considering spending next summer in Berkeley, Ca working on mcat prep. The classes are held on the Berkeley campus for 12 weeks starting around may 20th. Could the locals or Cali residents offer any insights on the area, transportation ease, cost of living including rent and food etc? We have options of irvine, San Diego and a couple of other cities but berkeley seems to have the best teachers so I'm looking at that first. The cost of attendance is the same for all locations so I'd like to stick to Berkeley unless the cost of living is absurdly less in other cities. Gross estimates for 3 months would be very helpful in helping us plan how much to save over the next year. We wont really have much time outside of prep so nothing needs to be attributed to crazy outings. Once or twice perhaps but the emergency fund should take care of that.

Damn it. Might not have as much money saved up by then.

Was looking at apts in the area and the shitty ones are $1600 a month. Boca raton is pretty expensive too but 1600 gets a reasonable apt on the intercoastal.

Any suggestions? Don't know if living at uc is an option. I doubt it would be any cheaper though. Perhaps...

Crack houses in nearby Oakland are reasonable in the summer, but you can only stay as long as you're hitting the pipe.

Gay bath houses in SF may be your best bet. You might even get a few free meals if you wink at the right guys.

Edited by swt61

By the way, you should look at options in Oakland. It should be cheaper than Berkeley and there is still plenty of public transportation.

As for choosing between the three cities, go with Berkeley. It is by far the best of the three in terms of public transport food, culture, etc. I am not sure there is very good public transportation in San diego (I assume you mean La Jolla) or Irvine unless you are near campus. Also, it is boooooooring to live in La Jolla, at least it was for me.