Spotify

Grahame

• 2 months later...

Did anyone see that Spotify updated their terms and conditions yesterday?

After 6 months from date the account is made, there are unlimited hours played and unlimited track plays in the ad supported free version. However, after 6 months, you are limited to 10 hours of listening and 5 individual track plays per month.

Anyone else using Spotify?

**BRENT**

Did anyone see that Spotify updated their terms and conditions yesterday?

After 6 months from date the account is made, there are unlimited hours played and unlimited track plays in the ad supported free version. However, after 6 months, you are limited to 10 hours of listening and 5 individual track plays per month.

Anyone else using Spotify?

**BRENT**

didn't see this thread until now.

I LOVE SPOTIFY

i was impressed with the depth of the catalog in the free version, so I decided to give premium a shot ($10/month). Its fantastic being able to have this entire catalog in my car/on my phone. I've found about 95% of the music I've searched for. I listen to it a ton at home as well. In fact last night I hooked my iPhone up to my speaker rig and just played a massive Bunny Radio (quick background: at Phish festivals they have a radio station that broadcasts through the festival dubbed "The Bunny". some awesome person compiled a 500+ song playlist of almost every song the Bunny DJs played at Superball IX this past summer) playlist on shuffle. Of course its not the last word on fidelity, but for casual listening its fantastic.

I've actually already saved money not buying new releases since I can just listen on Spotify. Then if I like it enough I'll buy the vinyl.

I know subscription services have been around before, but listening to music on Spotify is actually easier then stealing it, were one so inclined to know how to go about stealing music.

• Like 1

I've been using Spotify for a couple of years, always free user. At first there were only the ads, with no limits, now they short it at 10 hours/mo. It's a good legal way to try new music which you aren't sure is worth purchasing, but while their catalog is huge, there's plenty of music they don't have available. Or perhaps I have a weird musical taste. Anyway, it's a good service and I wouldn't mind paying for it if the limits become too short.

• 11 months later...

I've been using Spotify premium for a while for casual listening—it is especially great for sampling music you might not want to buy, but might want to rickroll party guests with.

My latest addiction, however, is Songza. Music playlists curated by actual human beings, who make decisions that computer algorithms (i.e., Pandora) just don't make. And in addition to just browsing by genre, you can explore moods, activities, decades, culture...shit like that.

Another thing I love is that when you think you've browsed down to the playlist level, there's often one more level underneath. For example, go to Concierge: Sunday Afternoon > Relaxing at Home > Laid-back Acoustic there's actually one more level down. At that level, you could pick Acoustic Guitar Instruments, The New Singer-Songwriters, or Harvest Moon.

And it's free and integrates with Sonos, so that doesn't suck.

• 10 months later...

I am streaming a long playlist of Sonny Rollins in the office today.  I am having trouble matching volume levels between straight Spotify and this different Spotify.  There might be a bit of difference in sound quality but it is not dramatic on my little Stax system.  

I do kind of miss my apps though.

I am streaming a long playlist of Sonny Rollins in the office today.  I am having trouble matching volume levels between straight Spotify and this different Spotify.  There might be a bit of difference in sound quality but it is not dramatic on my little Stax system.  

I do kind of miss my apps though.

The apps is a big reason why I wish we could use the regular client.