laptop display issue

thinkpad t410. everything stock except added 8gb of ram about 6 months ago.

if i lock the computer, the screen goes blank after a few minutes. when i move the mouse to bring the screen back up, it locks up the machine and the only thing i can do is to manually turn it off and turn it on again. i used to have a screen saver (the flying windows from windows 98) and disabled it 2 days ago thinking it might be causing issues. problem persisted. just came back from the gym and i had locked the screen when i left. pressed the caps lock key as it has a led indicator inside it to see whether it had already frozen or if bringing it back to life screws it up. the light lit up and then the machine froze. display did not come back. i THINK all this started when lenovo told me there was a driver update available for the video card and i clicked yes for it to be installed. i uninstalled that driver and installed the latest stable release from nvidia but still have the same issue. the video card is a nvs 3100m.

any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Only if you have system restore enabled, and for the system drive.

Let's know how it goes, and also what W version you're using. It's possible you still can force a driver re-install. You'll need an older version of the nvidia drivers though. Depending on the Windows version your GPU could be wasting functionality if you go back to basic drivers.