Any Fans Of Kauan?

roadtonowhere08

I am not sure any of you have heard of the small Russian band of two called Kauan before. The main force behind it is Anton Belov, who plays guitar, keyboards, and does vocals. The other member, Lubov Mushnikova, plays violin. Though the band comes from Russia, most of the lyrics are Finnish. To date, four albums have been released: Lumikuuro (2007), Tietäjän Laulu (2008), Aava tuulen maa (2009), and Kuu... (2011).

The first two albums are considered a mix of folk, doom, and black metal. Having said this, the main sound consists of beautiful melodies driven by piano and guitar with a mix of both clean and back metal vocals. I am not really a fan of black metal, so even though some of the vocals take on that style, the music is immediately accessible and relaxing. It might sound like a weird mix, but it works perfectly.

The latter two albums are considered ambient post rock. The underlying foundation of the first two albums exist, but added is a larger emphasis of keyboard driven atmosphere and the complete absence of black metal vocals. Gorgeous ambient melodies and sincere clean vocals throughout.

Those of you who know be back from the Darkest Desire threads at the other site know that I am a SUCKER for melodies. Well, Kauan is my new go-to band for that. I have been on a three month binge with these four albums (especially the latter two). This band is definitely in my top 5.

I urge you to give them a listen. Simply phenomenal!

Edited by roadtonowhere08

• 1 month later...