New Favorite Things

boomana

I was going to start this thread a few times, and think of doing so every time I find something I use daily or near daily, and it makes me very very happy each time, like my JH13s and ipod, or Tabasco Sauce. Can be a little nothing, like Tabasco Sauce or something big that you don't regret spending the money on, even if it made you wince to do so at first.

Anyway, I've lately come across some things that may even have been around for awhile, but I can't believe how happy they make me every time I use them. Here are a few of my new favorite things:

Moisture wicking clothing! Why didn't anyone tell me about this stuff before? I'd been working out in any old cotton tee shirt and cheap pants and bras I could find, figuring why spend the money. On impulse I bought a couple Coolmax and other brand tees, and threw out all my cotton tee shirts, minus a couple, immediately, and bought new workout pants. I even found nice blouses I can wear to work. Sooo much nicer in the Florida summer.

Of note, though not exactly moisture wicking, Under Armour makes a great "charged cotton" that's super soft and even has a couple nice fem-fitted ones without the logo for regular wear tees. Even if they get sweaty, they dry quickly. I like them so much, I now have five.

women-under-armour-heatgear-charged-cotton-crew-tee_11708758_175.jpg

Damn good sports bra! Sorry, guys, but check it out, Shelly. I'd been buying the cheap Champion ones at Target for $13, and I was always uncomfortably wet with them stuck to me at the end of working out, and often thought I would have to use scissors to get out of them or risk shoulder surgery again, and the headlights were always on -- not good. I then tried Nike, Under Armour, Addidas, and they all just squished you down, and I still couldn't get out of them, once wet, without risk of injury. Finally found the Moving Comfort Vero Bra, a moisture wicking, not squishing, no bounce bra that closes in the back like a regular one. Just bought one more and one of their Fiona model. Wonderful. Makes me very happy.

7f88be81ccc5a5bdab7c2c5a33e1e4fd.jpg

Red Oxx Gator, HC version, of course. I had no idea I'd love this thing as much as I do. I use it every day. It's the perfect size for the gym for me, and is also the perfect size to throw work papers and whatnots in, and since I'm back to cooking, it's now my lunch bag for the day (I bring a lot of food with me). I have the midnight color.

91002-Red-Oxx-Gator-Compact-Carry-On-Camera-Bag-thumbnail.jpg

The Furminator:

Just got this, and the first time I started using it on Ivan, I had to take him outside because there was so much fur was flying around. I think I could build a new cat with the fur I got from the first couple swipes. This thing really works for shedding control. Bonus: he loves it.

104512884-149x149-0-0_Furminator+Furminator+Deshedding+Tool+for+Cats+Sma.jpg

I'm curious what others have in their fav lists.

Awesome idea for a thread!

I am totally going to check out the moisture wicking clothing and sports bra. I admit that I also work out in crappy cheap clothing and sports bras and could use to upgrade.

As for the Gator, I too love mine (in olive). [i wish I would have bought an HC Gator.] I use it all the time. It is the perfect gym bag for me. I have also used it to carry camera gear: I bought a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 + Think Tank belt to carry my camera around in Hawaii since I needed something that I could use while hiking. It fit perfectly (vertically) in the Gator and left room for an extra lens, a flash, batteries + charger, filters, a water bottle holder, and an p&s camera. I love that it has a place for a water bottle on both sides too. I could see using it as a lunch box too.

As for my favorite new thing, I will add the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 + belt. I look like a total dork but it is great for hiking and will save my shoulders.

Digital-Holster-20-V20--3.jpg

Edited by shellylh

Nice thread, V. I will add a new thing that you already love and Shelly will soon. The New Balance Minimus MT20 trail runner shoe. I got the grey version and may well get another. I often do not like sneakers and could not bring myself to wear the monkey feet Five Fingers. These are so light and nicely fitted to my feet it feels like wearing nothing at all. Awesome shoes.

mt20bg220110629173432.jpg

I should also have expressed my love for the Gator. I wasn't expecting to like this bag nearly as much as I do. Great daily carry bag and great on a trip for the camera/water/guide books/sweater/iPad/whatever bag.

Edited by Voltron

The Gator is definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made, thanks to you lot.

Danner Hood River shoes (possibly only available in Japan) are the best shoes I've ever purchased. Putting them on the first time I knew that I was going to be reluctant to wear any other shoes ever again. The only problem is that they are no match with shorts so I can't wear them all the time.

An iPad. Actually, two. They are in such demand in my classes and at home I think I really need three. I can't begin to list how useful they have been.

I have yet to try some of those wicking T's , could have used something this weekend as I was drenched while working outside. Two of my favourite things come to mind:

my car - sounds like a prepubescent delight but it puts me in a good mood whenever i drive anywhere. If you have not been in one, i would highly recommend it.

IMAG0037.jpg

my dremel has been a phenomenal gadget with seemingly limitless uses.

r03383v3.jpg

..dB

Of note, though not exactly moisture wicking, Under Armour makes a great "charged cotton" that's super soft and even has a couple nice fem-fitted ones without the logo for regular wear tees. Even if they get sweaty, they dry quickly. I like them so much, I now have five.

Amen to Charged Cotton Vicki! I have a few of these and while I still prefer traditional UA Polyester shirts for working out, the Charged Cotton ones are super soft and nice to wear while out and about without having that tacky poly look on your shirt. I also have a couple of the Charged Cotton shorts and they are very comfy for just lounging at home.

One thing I discovered I cannot work out without anymore are compression shorts and compression tanks. Obviously, you wear both under your regular shorts and shirts respectively but they do help a lot with rubbing/chafing and I feel like they give me better motion as the different layers of gym clothing I wear do not cause friction and and snag on each other. Also, they provide one more layer of sweat absorption which prevents your shirts and shorts from getting loaded with sweat quickly.

@Al, I've always been curious about minimal shoes but never pulled the trigger on one. My main concern is cushioning (or lack thereof). How is the cushioning on the NB Minimus Trail?

I am not sure what you mean by cushioning, but the sole cushion is very thin. The rubber pads on the bottom of the shoe also provide some cushion and separation from the ground. My feet seem to have good support and there is a nice but not aggressive arch. The cross trainer version has more of a thick foam rubber looking sole, with a flatter bottom in case you want to check them out. I find the trail runners comfortable walking on pavement and on dirt but I have not run anywhere with them.

I have a pair of the Minimuseses and I love them, but I wish they came in Wide sizes due to my square, elephant-like feet. As for the cushioning, there really isn't any, and that's the point. Compared to my super structured New Balance shoes (which I also like) the minimalist sneakers feel like I'm actually using my feet. More structured shoes now feel like running on a sponge. Go easy at first because it will take time for your ankles and calves to adjust.

Vicki, this is a great thread. These are a few of my favorite things:

All things Under Armour for working out. And the Boxer Jocks are great.

Apple Magic TrackPad. I've come to love this thing.

Brooks Brothers Non-Iron Shirts

Oxo 2 oz. Measuring Cup

Alden #8 Cordovans (shoes)

Duck Bill Design money clip

Harmony One remote control

Raffy, I used to have a lot of problems with pain on the ball of my right foot and always thought it was better to have lots of padding in my shoes. Now that I have started wearing barefoot-like shoes, I actually have less trouble with this. I suppose it is the way that I walk in them. Of course, I don't really run much so I cannot say much about that. If you are interested in something like the Minimum but want a little more padding, you might try something like the New Balance MT101.

Al, I worked out in my New Balance Minimus for the first time today, and can now put them on my new fav list. It was a fairly all-over-the-place routine, starting with burpees and crawling around on the floor to 100m runs (I walked) for a warm up, then numerous snatch-grip dead lifts with a five second hold in the hang position, then more reps with a ten second hold in the down/squat position, then a WOD that was AMRAP 7 wall shots (squats then throwing up a medicine ball on the wall), 7 knees to elbows from the hang bar, and 7 burpees (I got 4.2 done). With my tilted ankle, I often wobble. Did not! Did not! Did not! I especially noticed it on the dead lifts, and naturally sunk back on my heels rather than having to think about doing so. I love these shoes!

Raffy, just try them on. I liked them so much in the store, I didn't want to put my very comfy sandals back on. If you're not sold on the "barefoot" shoes (Colin and George have the Merrell's I think), you might want to check out the Newton's. I know two women who do the Ironman competitions, and both swear by them. They also came highly recommended by the guy helping me at Runner's Edge.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/

They're a bit pricier than the others, but they might be worth it.

Great thread, V ... major props for thinking of and starting.

I loves my Birkenstock Arizonas ... they've made my feet healthy and comfy for years ...

Birke-Birkenstock%20Arizona.jpg

I'm also on the Red Oxx Gator band wagon. That little bag will go anywhere and do anything ... carry on, photo gear, walk around with lunch and water, and much moar = anytime, anywhere.

More posts to come. Thanks for starting this, Vicki.

Edited by agile_one

Thermos Travel Mug w/ 360 degree lid. It's not that exciting, but being able to drink from anywhere on the lid is awesome and I've been using one for several years now (so not really new, but it's one of my favorite things).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31j-EioCEIL._SS500_.jpg

I love my Thermos Sipp, it's definitely one of my favorite things.

http://www.amazon.com/THERMOS-SIPP-NS100BK004-STAINLESS-ELECTRONICS-OTHER/dp/B0045B3F9S

31hYbAoGa1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For cocktail enthusiasts:

Not really that new since I have had them for possibly a year but I do really love the Riedel Vinum Martini glasses (hold 4 5/8 ounces when full). They are the perfect size, have a classic shape, have a nice weight, and nice thickness (or I should say thinness). They are around $20 a piece and worth every penny.

cgt5a.jpg

Dell U2410 IPS LCD monitor. It does have a bit of sparkle on it though due to the antiglare coating. I don't have the guts to do the antireflection coat mod though and it doesn't bother me much at all.

monitor-dell-u2410-overview2.jpg

Isla de Cuba belicosa cigars. These are my favorite cigar for the price, was able to split a box with a friend.

isla_de_cuba.gif

Filco ninja mechanical keyboard (cherry browns). Its quiet when you don't bottom out and I'm pretty sure its a solid weapon, definitely quality.

filco-ninja-majestouch-keyboard.jpg

Datavac electric duster. Works great for cleaning the desk, lamp, or the patio. Amazing.

CPDVED.jpg

Edited by manaox2