New Favorite Things

boomana

Has anyone here made the switch from soft to hard contact lenses, if so your thoughts?

I did this about 10 years ago -- went from soft to gas permeable lens. I should start off by saying that I hate all contacts and fortunately, my eyes need very little correction other than for reading. It was the biggest pita to get used to them and I eventually gave up. I am told that once you get used to them, they do a better job of correcting your vision.

How do you guys get those damn things to stick to your eyes? All of my attempts to jam these things into my eyes failed miserably and always resulted in me wanting to punch something out afterwards. I don't understand how people could have the patience to put them on every morning. smiley_devil.gif

Takes me maybe 30 seconds to put mine in, including taking them out of the case and rinsing them off. It's hard at first, but eventually you figure out the way that works best for you.

Not for me, I'm too stupid to make them work. I have a couple of pairs of contacts in my drawer that are impossible to install without them wrapping around the tip of my finger instead. Plus I have an overactive blink reflex, aka "GTF out of my eye!"

Not for me, I'm too stupid to make them work. I have a couple of pairs of contacts in my drawer that are impossible to install without them wrapping around the tip of my finger instead. Plus I have an overactive blink reflex, aka "GTF out of my eye!"

That's why I hold both lids open.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom Bihn "Shop" Bag (small)

shopbagsteel.jpg

I have had this for a few months and it is great for carrying a couple of bombers or bottles of your favorite liquids along with some snacks. It has two pockets on the sides perfect for bottles. It is really light and folds down to be very compact. But after the surgery I have found this bag to be absolutely indispensable! I can hang it around my neck (the padding on the straps keeps it from hurting) and carry stuff from one place to the next (fits ipad, Macbook Air 11", bottles of water, sandwiches, etc.) Highly recommended if you are on crutches.

Edited by shellylh

ATH-ESW9 I had bought a while back have become my new fave thing at work, especially now that I'm working crazy hours for a project (been doing 8:00am to 9pm for two weeks now).

It's funny how people who see me with them say they are "huge" (if they only saw the rest of the audiophile lineup, heh). My biggest enjoyment though comes from when they take a quick listen through them (and I mean like 5-seconds quick) when they realize this is a whole new level of listening they did not know existed. It is at that point that they finally understand my hobby.

HM-801 plus these portables make a very nice listening experience while on-the-go. I hadn't listened to them in a while, and now I remember why I decided to keep them. (not to mention their sound is very good for being closed cans at that price level).

So yea, ATH-ESW9 for on the go win. smile.png

Edited by screaming oranges

• 2 weeks later...

My Marantz AV-7005 :wub: I went from a huge rats nest of cables on the old pre/pro to 3 HDMI in, 1 out, a pair of stereo in from TT, coax in from squeezebox (though that may be on the way out as it is AirPlay enabled), 1 network io and 6 preamp out. Since it has a built-in phono stage and tuner I got rid of my outboard tuner and phono stage. Basically everything is simpler. Having it network connected is awesome as it has a built in web interface which works excellently with the iPad and makes switching sources and setup, quick, easy and painless. Plus it doesn't sound half bad. Highly recommended.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Time to bring this thread up to speed with new interests. New loves:

d1bfb7e4.jpg

Custom Gunnar Sport. Like it more each time i'm on it.

xl__wss01xx.jpg

Rapha Women's Shorts. Thank goodness I got two pair on their 50% off sale. I have Louis Garneau, Peal Izumi, and some other brand, but none are comfy after more than 20 miles. I love these.

41LwA4ENUlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lady Anti-Monkey Butt Powder. Better than the two chamois butters I tried and did not like (Chamnois Butt'r and DZ Nuts), though it makes a mess on the floor.

IMG_0522_500.jpg

Brooks B17 saddle. Love it.

Also, still loving my HC Red Oxx Gator, and use it almost every day.

• 7 months later...
My Marantz AV-7005 wub.png I went from a huge rats nest of cables on the old pre/pro to 3 HDMI in, 1 out, a pair of stereo in from TT, coax in from squeezebox (though that may be on the way out as it is AirPlay enabled), 1 network io and 6 preamp out. Since it has a built-in phono stage and tuner I got rid of my outboard tuner and phono stage. Basically everything is simpler. Having it network connected is awesome as it has a built in web interface which works excellently with the iPad and makes switching sources and setup, quick, easy and painless. Plus it doesn't sound half bad. Highly recommended.

I am not getting the results I wanted from the Oppo 105 as pre/amp with my old McCormack DNA-HT5 amp.  I remembered Jim loving this Marantz, but forgot it was a pre/pro and not a receiver with amp.  Has anyone tried the AV Receiver versions from Marantz?  SR7007, SR6007, SR5007 or NR1403?  I only need 5.1 (3.1 really) and it doesn't have to have massive power.  Any thoughts on these or other options?

• 3 weeks later...