My HF1 Mods

mjg

hey guys...

Well, i sent my HF1's in to transform them into HHF1's. They are goign to be the only solid ebony woodies for now I guess..

I basiclly dropped an arm and a leg to get one of the most exclusive pairs he's going to make. It's not that i care so much about it being exclusive, but when you want something I guess you forget your brains and go stupid.

Anyways, i'm awaiting the pair back, should be back to daddy in a few weeks...

I have a few pics from when we was showing me screen configurations... Mine is going to be silver screens no HF1 buttons...

As soon as i figure out how to post an image u can see the pics i have.

[attachment deleted by admin]

my job is custom...

I won't post the price because it's kinda inapropriate i guess. It cost alot more then most people are willing to spend. He doesn't have anymore of this type ebony. He told me he isn't making anymore pairs guys, sorry to burst your bubbles ; ).

Yet hey, everyone has their price, if you can name my tune then by all means we can do buisness ; )

hah j/k, i really want these. Here is a hint, these cans cost alot more then rs1's to even headfi's standards.

I love the HF-1 stock and I love it even more after Larry put his magic on it. I had one of the first modded HF-1s (Bloodwood). I actually preferred the HHF-1 to the RS-1, if you can believe that. Alas, Grados make my ears ring if I listen to any of them for more than 2 hours. So my small Grado collection, including the HHF-1, had to go.

I love the HF-1 stock and I love it even more after Larry put his magic on it. I had one of the first modded HF-1s (Bloodwood). I actually preferred the HHF-1 to the RS-1, if you can believe that. Alas, Grados make my ears ring if I listen to any of them for more than 2 hours. So my small Grado collection, including the HHF-1, had to go.

What pads did you use? If it was bowls, flat pads or c-pads might alleviate that.

What pads did you use? If it was bowls, flat pads or c-pads might alleviate that.

I used flats, modded senn pads, and bowls. I tried them all caused I really dig the Grado sound. Heh, the SR-225 was initially my most favorite headphone, and that is with bowls too. I switched to the modded senn pads to no avail. Anyways, I haven't had any episodes of ringing since I stopped listening to Grados. I can listen to the Qualia, HD650, Omega II, sensaphonics, etc. for hours on end and not get the same problem. In any event, I was POed I couldn't enjoy them for long periods cause I really like Grados for acoustic music and vocals (I listen to folk music a lot, so Grados rule). I will get another one (balanced PS-1 or RS-1) at some point and will use it sparingly this time (one CD a day or something).

Anyways, I thought Larry's mods are definitely worth it. Elevated my HF-1s from good to excellent. And looked much better to boot.

thanks for the comments patb...

yea i do have occasional rings in my ear from headphones in general... It's the prolonged listening (constantly) that does it...

It gets better but only if i remember not to leave the headphones on very long and to take breaks... I dont think its specifec to grados, IEM's have the same problem.

Them thar Ebony ones are just about out the door (tomorrow or Monday?, one of the two), woohoo... I figured out I have just enough for one more pair in Black, since someone has already inquired fairly seriously. While I probably won't have pure black Ebony again anytime soon, I should have another variety within a few months. Getting it thick enough is not easy to find. I think MJG asked me about the first day HF-1's came out if Ebony was an option and a few times after before I caved, haha...