Hurricane Irene Takes Aim For East Coast

roadtonowhere08

Being a somewhat paranoidal New Englander of Vineyard descent, I am already overstocked with canned goods. I drew off a few gallons of drinking water this afternoon, and I'm going to do several times that this evening for toilet flushing (I have an electric well, not town water). I also have two new bottles of Scotch and a whole stack of cigars in case the power (or worse yet, the INTERNET) goes out.

I took the AC out of the window (boy, that sucked) and battened down all the hatches I could. I'm more concerned about flooding than I am high winds. I moved all my lighting equipment and anything else of value to higher elevation in the basement. Now I'm going to hit one grocery store and see how thoroughly it's picked over by other paranoidal New Englanders. As per usual, the greatest danger is other people. :palm:

Definitely fill up buckets of water (or bathtub) to flush the toilet if necessary! You may not need to do it but if you lose water pressure, you will definitely be glad you did. Also, I would get a few gallon bottles of water and freeze them. You can put them in your fridge to keep it cold for a few days if you lose power.

Best of luck to everyone affected. We get this every year in Japan, thought the last couple of years they've passed somewhat south of me, so I've only been through a super-serious one once. Was enough to shake our re-enforced concrete apartment block significantly, which was a bit scary. It's the heavy rain that can do the serious damage indeed, though I had a friend who went out the next morning to find his carport completely missing without trace.

Went to two grocery stores and one liquor store. Stores had lines for 50-75 per register and the liquor store had cars backed up out onto the street waiting to get into the parking lot. All I wanted was some steaks and beer for the weekend and I came home empty handed.

there's always Chinese food. they never close.

Definitely fill up buckets of water (or bathtub) to flush the toilet if necessary! You may not need to do it but if you lose water pressure, you will definitely be glad you did. Also, I would get a few gallon bottles of water and freeze them. You can put them in your fridge to keep it cold for a few days if you lose power.

This is excellent advice. We used to fill up the bathtubs and a large plastic garbage pail with water and have buckets to use for flushing. You don't want to run out of water for flushing.

Hurricane has passed officially I believe. The advice in this thread was great, especially remembering past hurricane experiences. There were some wind gusts and a little rain, but it wasn't spectacular on my side of the county. I wish you all the same. Also, my brother on the beach is fine. He was 15 miles away from the beginning of the most damaged areas, so I still feel he was very lucky that it brushed by.

Good luck all. I bet the NYC contingent is already without power. Never thought I'd be thinking about Gene in a hurricane, at least not when he's in Maine smile.png.

And yes I do follow storms for fun. Just watched the George Carlin bit on wishing disasters would go huge and out of control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tceH2RS6V5I

Edited by NightWoundsTime