Hurricane Irene Takes Aim For East Coast

roadtonowhere08

I've been fortunate enough to have power this entire time, but I am still experiencing a serious voltage sag. Even now I'm barely above 100V. I went around the house and unplugged anything that I deemed voltage-sensitive. Unfortunately there's some things I can't unplug, like the fridge, boiler, stove and of course the internets boxes.

I took walk through my yard this morning and there's a lot of blowdown. The roofs of my outbuildings appear to be in tact, which is a blessing. It looks like we got lucky WRT flooding. I've seen some photos from north an east of here, and it's not pretty.

Lost power at 7am yesterday after a tree took down the power lines on the next block. Don't know when power will be restored.Lipa predicts 90% of power will be restored by Friday.Running on generater power now,no TV or Phone.One tree above my driveway has a branch Hanging,need to get that cut down,& clean up the mess from all the trees.

Lost some Siding on the back of my business building other wise unscathed there & fully operational,

All in all a lot better the expected.

Edited by bozebuttons

Estimated 500,000 to 700,000 in Mass have either lost or still has no power as of right now. We're thankful we never lost power as we'd be dealing with a flooding right now otherwise considering our sump pump was on almost constantly yesterday.

You might want to consider a ups or battery backup for thatsump pump yes? If the electricity goes out during a storm, which is entirely possible given some posts here, you could experience some real problems.

You might want to consider a ups or battery backup for thatsump pump yes? If the electricity goes out during a storm, which is entirely possible given some posts here, you could experience some real problems.

We'll probably be doing this eventually. We just didn't do it at the time we had the system installed since it was/is wee bit pricey (we need to get the backup system through the system manufacture to keep their guarantee).

Not sure what you were looking at, but I've had a Basement Watchdog for quite a number of years (mid '90s when we lost power and got probably 1-2' of water in our basement). I think it is supposed to run for ~7 hours if you lose power. Of course if you were motivated enough, you could rip batteries out of your cars and extend the run time :)

I'll put one on the probably buy sometime list but for right now it's not really justified as the most water we've ever gotten is a couple puddles (of course the working sump pump probably played a role in that)....

I'm currently hemorrhaging cash to get the second house setup and it's not high on my list but I've added it to my some day task list.