Question for Hakko 936 owners

deepak

I bought a replacement tip for the iron labeled Aoyue brand but seller claims works with the Hakko. When I replaced it in the iron the replacement tip spins sort of freely (I can rotate it with a slight bit of force) even with the nut for the protective metal guard screwed in as tightly as it will go. Is it supposed to do this? Thanks guys.

Did the replacement tip have that inside sleeve like the Hakko tips do? If not, grab the one out of your Hakko tip and see if it fits... not sure if the bit spinning some is a problem, but I guess it would bother me as well.

Edited by Pars

It shouldn't rotate freely. As Hakko and Aoyue tips are normally interchangeable, my guess would be your tip is defective or fake.

I already had an experience wih a fake Aoyue tip (Different body geometry, and the tip wouldn't work after 4-5 solder joints), which is quite amazing when you consider Aoyue is already a copy of Hakko. You can't even have genuine counterfeits these days.

I bought this one from the official Aoyue US distributor. Chris I don't have any original Hakko tips.

edit: I am definitely getting insufficient heat transfer from the heating element. Where I was once using 600 F, I have to turn it past 700 F to be useable on small parts. I'll contact the seller.

They're sending me a replacement :)