KG Balanced Dynahi build discussion thread

Vortex

I haven't tried them, but those did look very interesting on the Linear site. Probably impossible to do an adapter board accommodating all comers, including the old 7-pin Toshiba duals, but maybe with the Linear round cans or SMD packages of these, plus the singles.

If you're in the EU you should be able to buy from Micross in the UK https://shop.micross.com/products.aspx?i=14 - shipping cost is still a bit steep but not as bad as from Trendsetter.
//UFN

Thanks!!! Add to my favourites. This is more reasonable. (17€ vs 120€ )

LSK489 (To-71) 7,6€/unit but they haven't LSJ689

16 minutes ago, jose said:

Because sometime 2sk170/2sj74 are difficult to find.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312426

You could always swap for the Fairchild fets even if they aren't as good or just the new LSK/LSJ versions. 

Speaking of the F5, did anything come of the electrostatic version somebody was working on? 

0 noise. I'm using 2sk170/2sj74 [emoji1]

With Toshiba Jfets is very stable, offset closed to 5~0 mVolt on both channels 

On R channel I'm using a THAT "good" (1 of 6) I hate this shit :angry:

9212c98ba45168a9bb9c4a7fbdc18c12.jpg

26263875be946165891b1d5cf9e03df3.jpg

Edited by jose
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, spritzer said:

Speaking of the F5, did anything come of the electrostatic version somebody was working on? 

No idea but I came up with two versions of an electrostatic amp that has the Dynahi front end awhile back. They definitely need more tweaking so I will revisit, but I have been too busy learning CNC stuff recently. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mypasswordis said:

No idea but I came up with two versions of an electrostatic amp that has the Dynahi front end awhile back. They definitely need more tweaking so I will revisit, but I have been too busy learning CNC stuff recently. 

That would come in extremely handy :D

• Like 1

thanks you guys.

I have two channels working with 2SK170/2SJ74 and now I'm listening to new amp, seriously. No noises, crunches, "low noise"... I'm starting to enjoy it again. I´m very happy.

Lesson learned now that I'm going to start my Dynalo Susi :rolleyes:

On 10/27/2017 at 5:10 AM, jose said:

LSK489/LSJ689 looks good but I can't find where to buy them... OK, I only find trendsetter but shipping costs are terrible.

Speaking of which, I thought that Linear had released an LSJ109? They don't show them on their site, and from what I could find, they claimed they were available, but no one seems to have gotten any?

Fast forward to today with the LSJ689... Trendsetter doesn't list them, and apparently the other place referenced doesn't either? Are these going to be the same thing again? They do seem to really have LSJ74s, so at least there is that.

8 hours ago, Pars said:

Speaking of which, I thought that Linear had released an LSJ109? They don't show them on their site, and from what I could find, they claimed they were available, but no one seems to have gotten any?

Fast forward to today with the LSJ689... Trendsetter doesn't list them, and apparently the other place referenced doesn't either? Are these going to be the same thing again? They do seem to really have LSJ74s, so at least there is that.

I got mine from Trendsetter so I don't know what is going on... 

7 hours ago, jose said:

What is the problem with LS?

I bought a quad of LSk170/lsj74 on DIYAudio a couple of months ago but I still haven't compared them with Toshiba.

I want to know, too. Was thinking of trying this to replace the THAT parts: https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/parts/products/linear-systems-matched-jfet-pairs-grade-b

Well, yes high. How many would you need to buy to ensure good matches if you were doing it yourself? ~$30 for 8 LSK170s and $62 for 8 LSJ74s.

You might get a matched quad out of that, but I had heard that Linear's devices are all over the map regarding Idss within a certain grade.

2 hours ago, Pars said:

Well, yes high. How many would you need to buy to ensure good matches if you were doing it yourself? ~$30 for 8 LSK170s and $62 for 8 LSJ74s.

You might get a matched quad out of that, but I had heard that Linear's devices are all over the map regarding Idss within a certain grade.

According to the DIYAUDIOSTORE site, that price comes with 2 matched pairs.

• Like 1

They might have changed the pricing, now its $60.52 for 8 LSK170 and $69.47 for 8 LSJ74. That there alone costs as much as some mini headphone amps. I might just gamble choosing among ~4 THAT340 instead since we can get it locally/easily from Element14.

Anyway, I've purchased a chassis and thinking about doing a single chassis build. I've made a rough layout of what it could look like, appreciate it if others could chime in.
2 images; the first shows only bottom floor layout without the amp boards above it. The second shows all boards including proposed front panel layout.

Toroid is in the middle and amp will be powered by single Beta22 mounted on heatsinks in blue. Orange board at the rear right is a balanced relay switcher with a small 12v transformer+BR for power.
Amp boards will be attached on the top of the case and fastened to the walls with standard L profile like others.

Because of the size of the transformer, the only location it could be is in the middle where there aren't any tall components on the amp board above it.

Mockup-02.jpg

Mockup-01.jpg

Edited by penmarker