KG Balanced Dynahi build discussion thread

Vortex

I know the Salas stuff is well thought of on diyaudio. Normally a balanced Dynahi would use two GRLVs. I don’t think Kevin is a proponent of shunt regulators but I’ll let him weigh in.
I am planning on building Salas’ Simplistic phono stage but was going to use a GRLV plus PSU (or maybe dual mono GRLV plusses) for this instead of the included Salas shunt. I did my own board layout with the phono only.
The GRLV is very low noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops I meant S22, not B22

Also, I plan to use two bipolar ones, one for each board, with each side rated at 300mA output/500mA input current. Definitely won't be 1A going through each one. How would that change things? Mainly just looking for a cost-effective and compact solution, really.

Also, if I were to go for the GRLV, where would I be able to get boards for it?

14 hours ago, Pars said:

I am planning on building Salas’ Simplistic phono stage but was going to use a GRLV plus PSU (or maybe dual mono GRLV plusses) 

I may be missing something, what is GRLV plus?

Edit: I mean GRLV vs GRLV plus.

Edited by Helium

On 30/11/2017 at 5:34 PM, Pars said:

I know the Salas stuff is well thought of on diyaudio. Normally a balanced Dynahi would use two GRLVs. I don’t think Kevin is a proponent of shunt regulators but I’ll let him weigh in.
I am planning on building Salas’ Simplistic phono stage but was going to use a GRLV plus PSU (or maybe dual mono GRLV plusses) for this instead of the included Salas shunt. I did my own board layout with the phono only.
The GRLV is very low noise.

I remember Salas saying how having the reg on the same board as the phono was a big influence on the great sound of the FSP. You could use the GRLV before the shunt, some people used a jung super reg as a "pre regulator" for the integrated shunt. 

49 minutes ago, MASantos said:

I remember Salas saying how having the reg on the same board as the phono was a big influence on the great sound of the FSP. You could use the GRLV before the shunt, some people used a jung super reg as a "pre regulator" for the integrated shunt. 

Hm that could work at some point, but I doubt I'd be able to afford both of them at the moment...:p

Maybe I'm blind...but I can't seem to find the dimensions for the offboard ss dynahi PCB. Does anyone happen to know them?

EDIT: And maybe the GRLV too. I'm currently doing a layout plan on google sketchup so it would help to have those dimensions handy!

Edited by Ariamella

On 12/1/2017 at 3:45 PM, MASantos said:

I would guess this is because he lays out the sense lines on the board going right to the rails on the phono section. I would think if you ran not only V+ and gnd, but also both sense lines separately, having the reg onboard wouldn't make a difference (shunt PSU only). The GRLV is extremely low noise (see thread for screen room measurements), so I am hoping that just using GRLV (or dual mono) will be as low noise, maybe lower, than the shunts are. I did lay out his shunt on a separate board which would fit just like his single board, but have very short jumpers to the phono board, in case I think I am wrong.

2 hours ago, gepardcv said:

@Ariamella: I pulled the following numbers from the Gerbers, and I think they match the produced boards:

- ssdynahibalsmtm.zip: 215.9×115.3mm

- goldenreference6.zip: 93.3×109.9mm

Thank you very much! Is that the newest SMT version of the dynahi? Sorry to be a bother but do you happen to know what the dimensions are for the V1 Susy Dynahi boards are?

Edited by Ariamella

5 hours ago, gepardcv said:

Yeah, those are the numbers from the Gerbers I used for my boards. SMT and MJE output sand. No idea about sizes for any older revisions, but if you get me the Gerber for it, I could try to figure it out for you.

Ok, thank you anyways! The older revisions are probably close enough that the case I plan to use can fit them all...

• 2 weeks later...