Transcoding ALAC to FLAC

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic. Now that I have the Oppo as my source I want to know if there is a fast and painless way to convert my ALAC files (close to 800GB) to FLAC. Any help will be appreciated. I believe it can handle .wav as well so that may be the easier route as I think I can do that through iTunes.

Max is the tool you want. It a powerful program, but more than a bit buggy and updated erratically.

There is a known bug in the preferences window when you select the Formats tab. More than half the time, it will refuse to show the relevant options and just as likely crash. Fortunately, the settings are persistent, so you only need to change them once.

another vote for dbpoweramp. years ago i plunked down a small amount of cash for the full version. definitely money well spent, the batch converter and right click menu converter have gotten immense use. superb cd ripper as well, for the record. much more functional and easier to use then EAC.

*chuckle* Max hasn't been updated since 2009, but from the bottom of the sbooth main page says "Copyright © 2006 - 20011 Stephen F. Booth. Design by Andreas Viklund." Clearly, he's more far in the future than any of us.

I have never used DBPowerAmp, but I have to wonder, does it handle RePlayGain as well as Foobar? One of FB2K's real strengths is RPG processing. When I used to use it to convert lossless to lossy, I'd RPG the the audio first. That meant I'd never get any nasty volume surprises in the iPod, and I didn't have to contend with Apple's useless auto volume function.

Another vote for XLD here. I used to be a longtime Max user but eventually shipped since XLD is much better supported. Interface has gotten substantially better of the years and is quite good at mass tagging albums now. That being said, the absolute best tagging program for Windows (if that's your thing) is called Tag'n'Rename!