Looking to build a new rig... help me blow some cash =)

NoValidTitle

No network card. I have an 11" Mackbook Air that will be connected to the PWD with USB. I thought about the network card but I'm not sure I like the idea of the interface. I just worry about the touch interface being cumbersome.

PWD's ipad interface is very functional.

I have Linn so I use - - - wait for it - - - ipeng and squeezebox 3. squeezebox plugin for Linn is pure awesome. I can control all my SBs, transporter and Linn using ipeng for ipad, all running off of a server running SB server that's sitting in another room. Everything is connected wirelessly (even the Linn).

If I were you, I would give network streaming a chance.

I stream off my NAS which is two floors upstairs, and it works quite well. (Be aware though, that the PWD needs an ethernet connection; Wifi has been promised for a while, but don't think it's available yet.) I remote control using e-Lyric on iPad. I'd guess a computer setup via USB would be fine, too, but I don't know all the technical stuff behind how it would sound. I know PS Audio talks about their digital lens, which is supposed to make it sound equally good regardless of source. Can't say if that's true or not, though.

I stream off my NAS which is two floors upstairs, and it works quite well. (Be aware though, that the PWD needs an ethernet connection; Wifi has been promised for a while, but don't think it's available yet.) I remote control using e-Lyric on iPad. I'd guess a computer setup via USB would be fine, too, but I don't know all the technical stuff behind how it would sound. I know PS Audio talks about their digital lens, which is supposed to make it sound equally good regardless of source. Can't say if that's true or not, though.

i think the Digital Lens is only included with the PWT and Bridge, but not via USB, optical or Coax input.

Do you know if I can slap a USB hard drive on the USB port of the bridge and listen that way? I'm assuming you cant and it's only for diagnostics.

I believe the digital lens is an add-on for PWD, and not PWT. As for your HD question, you should use a network storage with built-in Upnp server to feed your PWD. I don't know if this sounds better than USB, but it's certainly more flexible. You are not tied down to any one computer and you can add more PWDs or another streamer in the future for multi-room playback.

I'm pretty sure the USB port is only for diagnostics and firmware upgrades.

Booooo

Well I snagged one online for $425 brand new, seemed like a good deal. At the very least it will be fun to mess around with. I may have to pickup a wireless bridge as where I want to put my rig doesn't allow ethernet to be run in my apartment.

I believe the digital lens is an add-on for PWD, and not PWT. As for your HD question, you should use a network storage with built-in Upnp server to feed your PWD. I don't know if this sounds better than USB, but it's certainly more flexible. You are not tied down to any one computer and you can add more PWDs or another streamer in the future for multi-room playback.

My understanding is that they are working on an separate or add-on digital lens for the PWD, but the Bridge and PWT have one already. But I'll try to research that more.

Booooo

Well I snagged one online for $425 brand new, seemed like a good deal. At the very least it will be fun to mess around with. I may have to pickup a wireless bridge as where I want to put my rig doesn't allow ethernet to be run in my apartment.

I used one of those gizmos that extends your wired network via the electrical outlets. This extended my network from the upstairs office to the basement in the opposite corner of a >100 year old house. It's worked suprisingly well for both my XBox for Netflix, and for streaming music to the PWD. I also needed to get a switch to allow me to make more than one ethernet ports out of one.

I know wireless bridges are possible, but I really had a hard time getting that done. Maybe I'm just an idiot, though.

So the PWD came today... Why the hell do they include a pair of white cotton gloves???

Also via usb with audrivana on my MBA I'm getting a constant 3-4 pops per second coming through when tracks are playing. Time to dig.

edit: messing with the audrivana settings seems to make it go away but not at any consistant rate. For example if the forced upsampling is set to max sample rate upsampling it will pop, I change it to none and it stops... but I change it back and it stop. O_o Then I will change a different setting and it will come back, if I change that setting back it will still pop. Confusing.

Edited by NoValidTitle

So the PWD came today... Why the hell do they include a pair of white cotton gloves???

Because they want to be Quad?

Quad-2.jpg

http://futuremark.yo...read.php?t=7500

EDIT: Tempted to fondle?

from http://www.psaudio.c...ctwave-dac?cat=

Outside the PWD

The chassis of the PWD is a metal sculpture that rivals the best ever built. A combination of aluminum and steel, the PWD weighs in at 20 pounds of elegance and beauty. The top cover is a hand painted, hand polished piano black cover that has been lavished over for hours.

When you receive your PWD, you’ll find a pair of soft white gloves to pull the unit out of its protective cotton sleeve and unveil its beauty. Every person who has had the opportunity to see a PerfectWave in person has the same initial reaction: they reach out and softly caress it’s finish and admire its beautiful lines.

Edited by Grahame

Really? Mine hasn't been bad. Not perfect, but not bad. What is happening with yours?

1. If I pause a track it restarts the track at the beginning every time...

2. ...that's if it actually pauses when I hit pause

3. The elyric software keeps crashing

4. The iDevice app is ungodly sluggish

5. When I hit play on a track it takes about 20 seconds before it actually stars

6. Tracks occasionally skip

1. If I pause a track it restarts the track at the beginning every time...

2. ...that's if it actually pauses when I hit pause

3. The elyric software keeps crashing

4. The iDevice app is ungodly sluggish

5. When I hit play on a track it takes about 20 seconds before it actually stars

6. Tracks occasionally skip

Try upgrading the software via the front panel.

Well that sucks!

Weird, mine does almost none of that. Only an occasional skip, but even then, it can be traced to network traffic or something wrong with the file.

Maybe unplug and replug in the electricity, try resetting the bridge, try reinstalling the bridge, try calling PS Audio? Wish I could be more helpful ...