Amazon Kindle Fire

blessingx

And the Fire is official. Out November 15, 2011.

"GDGT's Ryan Block notes that the WiFi-only Kindle Fire is merely a "stopgap" product, hence its pre-holiday release. Writes Block, "[M]y sources tell me the second-gen Kindle tablet [...] will be out in Q1 of 2012 -- yes, that soon."

KINDLE-FIRE.jpg

Edited by blessingx

At $199, it certainly appears to be priced right.

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about the new touch e-readers, though. I often read for long stretches at a time, which means I usually alternate which hand is holding my Kindle. I like that the 1st & 2nd gen Kindles have page forward buttons on both edges, so it's easy to use regardless of which hand you're using. The new touch interface requires you to touch on the right third to change the page forward. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since it limits which hand you hold it with or requires a reach with the thumb. Though it's still better than the swipe required with the Nook and other touch eInk readers.

My issue with all these color e-readers is that they use LCD. That fact alone defeats the purpose of the devices for me as I can't read on LCD for long period of time without hurting my eyes.

Of course, they're now multi-purpose tablets and not just reading devices so the market probably could care less about whether it's actually easy to read or not.

At $199, it certainly appears to be priced right.

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about the new touch e-readers, though. I often read for long stretches at a time, which means I usually alternate which hand is holding my Kindle. I like that the 1st & 2nd gen Kindles have page forward buttons on both edges, so it's easy to use regardless of which hand you're using. The new touch interface requires you to touch on the right third to change the page forward. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since it limits which hand you hold it with or requires a reach with the thumb. Though it's still better than the swipe required with the Nook and other touch eInk readers.

Can you rotate the Kindle 180 degrees? If they keep the same... tridrants... could you then touch the left side (device right) to page forward?

**BRENT**

Luckily, I just bought Claire the old style for a lot more than that. :palm:
If it's any consolation it seems the normal models are now the ad-based versions and the used to be normal, non-ad based are the special editions with price points higher than the photo above. Somehow this reverseal didn't get mentioned in majority of articles yesterday (at least that I saw).

For those wanting a kindle touch but wished they had physical page scrolling buttons, you should consider the B&N Nook. I switched from an older kindle to the new Nook Touch and couldn't be happier. Unlike the new Kindle that looks like a shrunken down iPad, the Nook actually is contoured and feels like it was designed to be held for hours on end. Interface is great and it has physical page turning buttons on each side if you're into that kind of thing. Biggest plus for me though is ePub support :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congrats, Mike, look forward to hearing about it!

So am I john, but right now my Kindle Fire is doing a tour of Texas.....

Instead of free shipping I paid the 7 bucks to have 3-4 day shipping. So Amazon ships it on the 14th, using the FedEx hands off to USPS method. It's worked for me before so I'm cool with it. First tracking hit shows it leaving Kentucky on the 14th. I figure Kentucky to Illinois is a piece of cake. But apparently the Lone Star State was calling. The next hit shows it in Houston! From there it went to Dallas!! Shelly and Marc, keep your eyes open for my Kindle! It may have a tour date in your neighborhoods soon. And Steve, it may pop up near you as well.

And then today FedEx changes my expected delivery date from the 18th to the 26th. So I email Amazon. And they do the right thing. Refund my shipping cost.... So I'm looking forward to being the last person in America to receive his opening day Kindle Fire. Yay.

OK< My wife got one yesterday.

No complaints regarding slowness in loading videos or websites as reported in some of the reviews.

I haven't played any movies,

I can understand why some would be ticked off by the carrousel displaying all the actions carried out on the device so prominently. No privacy. Also, the 1-click shopping is on all the time. My guess is that some further software updates would be required to address these issues.

The kindle loaded books from our existing library. I also understand some are having issues with this.

Display is pretty crisp. Ultimately the device feels solid and in my brief experience with it, (less than 15 min), it has potential.

My issue with all these color e-readers is that they use LCD. That fact alone defeats the purpose of the devices for me as I can't read on LCD for long period of time without hurting my eyes.

Of course, they're now multi-purpose tablets and not just reading devices so the market probably could care less about whether it's actually easy to read or not.

Same here- I need to read a lot of stuff and LCD's are really rough on my eyes. And when I'll decide to sear my eyes out, I might opt for a Samsung tablet with one of those HD AMOLED screens.

So am I john, but right now my Kindle Fire is doing a tour of Texas.....

Instead of free shipping I paid the 7 bucks to have 3-4 day shipping. So Amazon ships it on the 14th, using the FedEx hands off to USPS method. It's worked for me before so I'm cool with it. First tracking hit shows it leaving Kentucky on the 14th. I figure Kentucky to Illinois is a piece of cake. But apparently the Lone Star State was calling. The next hit shows it in Houston! From there it went to Dallas!! Shelly and Marc, keep your eyes open for my Kindle! It may have a tour date in your neighborhoods soon. And Steve, it may pop up near you as well.

And then today FedEx changes my expected delivery date from the 18th to the 26th. So I email Amazon. And they do the right thing. Refund my shipping cost.... So I'm looking forward to being the last person in America to receive his opening day Kindle Fire. Yay.

Ok, you want that back? I assumed it was a present. I was wondering why it didn't come with a bottle of FFF.