Objective2 (O2) amp

episiarch

I assume others have been following the O2 amp, though I haven't been able to find it discussed here.

After a fair amount of reading, I've become interested enough that I've gone on the preorder list for a UK-built example of the amp, due in 2-3 months. (Yes, it does look easy enough to DIY, but I haven't built anything in an age, and I have enough distractions in my life already.)

Anyone else have thoughts on this amp? Intents to build or buy one?

Disclaimer:

I hope it doesn't need to be said, but just in case it does, this post is not intended as drama-bait. I know NwAvGuy has raised some hackles with his opinions. In particular I know he has harsh things to say about the Mini3, an amp which I continue to enjoy quite a lot and which I heard in several stages of prototype form during its design process (which, to my eyes, was long, thoughtful, careful, and highly solicitous of community feedback). My interest in the amp doesn't constitute my taking sides against Ti, or Mini3, or anybody else.

For me a transportable-sized amp is actually a little more friendly to my armchair or couch use case than a teensyportable - especially if it constitutes a rig that I might actually drive full-sized cans with. So personally I'm not put off by that. YMMV of course. And if I love it enough to swap it in for a desktop amp, the next one can be the desktop version.

RudeWolf, where'd you see the lukewarm reviews? Assuming they were informative (and not merely "meh, I didn't love it"), I'd be curious to read them.

RudeWolf, where'd you see the lukewarm reviews? Assuming they were informative (and not merely "meh, I didn't love it"), I'd be curious to read them.

Head-fi, of course. Still- judging from the whole "logos" behind the amp lukewarm should be okay. The consensus is that it is a "wire-with-gain" and a bit too large to be considered portable.

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=%22Objective+2%22+amp

I really don't see why people are so excited about this amp since it offers nothing new in terms of performance and the PCB design and layout is piss poor to say the least. Add to that a "designer" who is far from stable, thinks he knows something others don't and it isn't promising....

Any chance you could expand on the piss poor layout/PCB design? :)

I really don't see why people are so excited about this amp since it offers nothing new in terms of performance and the PCB design and layout is piss poor to say the least. Add to that a "designer" who is far from stable, thinks he knows something others don't and it isn't promising....

Exactly, I also never understood why he attacked Ti when there is so much crap out there. Goes to show that this idiot hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

I'm sure there's a measurement to explain.

A measurement to explain a ground plane that doesn't work? Yeah sure, it's not more likely that the designer is incompetent or anything like that...

Have you asked him about it?

He was very open to suggestions under the development.

I think that after the manner of his attack(s) on Ti, most here could give a fuck about what he was doing, let alone provide suggestions on it. I'd agree with others that there are far more worthy targets for his attacks if that is what he felt he needed to do.

I think that after the manner of his attack(s) on Ti, most here could give a fuck about what he was doing, let alone provide suggestions on it. I'd agree with others that there are far more worthy targets for his attacks if that is what he felt he needed to do.

I'm not going to try defending his offensive disposition, I just thought that if the error is so grave and obvious somebody should point it out to him.

I can't. I know fuck-all about PCB design.

I've had my fill of trying to show people how to properly do things to be honest. On top of that I don't relish the thought of dealing with somebody as disturbed as this. Then we have the whole issue of why I should help somebody who is clearly going to start selling amps commercially.