sound recorder that can rewind and playback an ongoing recording ?

Spiug31

Anyone know of a portable sound recorder that lets you rewind and playback events from a live recording while still recording the main track?

This is an ability that may help me when expressing my thoughts in discussions, it will be voice recording and on a budget of £200 ($300) or less. Something digital with inbuilt speaker would be what I'd need.

Douglas

p.s. I won't be able to converse much

What you want is a recorder with overdub capabilities.

For the price you're looking at the Tascam DR 40 (replaced the DR-4).

It's a 4 channel recorder with a built in speaker. You should be able to get one for under $200 USD (although since it's a new model, the street price will be going down in a few months).

One issue you'll discover, if you plan to play the previously recorder track(s) on the built in speaker while you record your new track(s), you'll need an outboard mic. If you use the built in microphones, the sound of the built in speaker will totally dominate the new recording and will clip with every word.

You can pick up a cheap lapel mic just about anywhere. The inputs on these recorders is a 3.5mm TRS plug which is stereo.

Download the manual to be sure this is what you had in mind.

http://tascam.com/product/dr-40/downloads/