Steve Jobs has died...

archosman

I'm almost done with a contrary point of view article to Guttenbergs recent slamming of the stock iPod ear-bud.

I got curious, so did a bunch of measurements of a variety of current ear-buds.

The stock iPod ear-bud easily bested every other bud but the best Sennheiser.

They're ear-buds, so thay still basically sound pretty bad, but they were a very. good. ear-bud.

I had two samples from recent purchases, and they measured virtually identical.

I've talked to one of their lead engineers before, and was impressed by what they were doing.

Those guys were passionate, and spending MO-NAY making the very best throw-away headphone in the world.

That doesn't happen when visionless MBAs run a company.

Great job, Steve!

Rest in Peace.

^^^This. I hope the company keeps the attitude and spirit of innovation Mr. Jobs had. RIP Steve. And thanks.

I was very sad to hear of Job's passing.

I live just a few miles from Cupertino and I know a few of the "numbered" Apple employees. Many of them left shortly after Steve was let go but never lost faith in the companies original vision. The parade of high priced CEO's who followed made it painfully evident just how important this vision was to the companies health.

The vision returned with the reinstatement of Jobs along with original "design" in their products.

Steve's insistence to produce products that looked and felt as good as they worked raised the bar on everything from chef's knives to cars and changed the way the world looks today.

Even though I'm sad that Job's died so young, I feel lucky to live during an era when true originals like him are able to thrive and I've been able to enjoy the results.

I knew when he retired as CEO what he was really saying, that it was time to spend the last weeks or months with his family before the end. I didn't want to know it though.

Funnily, he reminds me a little of Bruce Lee, whom, when he was down and out, totally re-designed Kung Fu, removing all the bullshit from it just to focus on the essentials. Steve did that with the personal computer, software, the OS, then the music player and finally the phone and tablet.

I remember my father, sitting on a chair at the moment he knew it was time to go and that the he was about to leave the house for the last time. It was the only time in my life I saw him cry. I imagine it must have been similarly hard for Steve knowing that he was leaving for the last time.

2011mar3-leaves_the_stage.JPG

Steve leaving the stage for the last time in March this year.

My store here in Colorado Springs has a little impromptu memorial for Steve, and we turned out our Apple. A great man, a great futurist, and an astonishingly clear thinker. His vision, insight, and utter certainty about how things are to be done properly has left what will no doubt be an enduring legacy.

I can't help but feel that all the money and brilliance in the world cannot save you from death, however, so I shall be spending my efforts in remembering Steve on living well.

Edited by Sherwood

My store here in Colorado Springs has a little impromptu memorial for Steve, and we turned out our Apple. A great man, a great futurist, and an astonishingly clear thinker. His vision, insight, and utter certainty about how things are to be done properly has left what will no doubt be an enduring legacy.

I can't help but feel that all the money and brilliance in the world cannot save you from death, however, so I shall be spending my efforts in remembering Steve on living well.

Better send me all your booze, or else you'll be tempted to live unwell. :cool:

Tyll, were Yuin Pk#'s included in the anti-slam? Just curious.

Yes. I tried both sets I could find at HeadRoom. They both had failures that prevented me from using the data.

Again, the Apples were nearly identical.

A few days on, I hope it is acceptable to bring this back up......

The iBuds must have improved vastly over the years. The Yuin PK3 I bought for my lady friend about 3-4 years ago were light years ahead of the iBuds. And the Koss KSC75 were even better again.

The iBuds (headset version) that I use came with my iPhone 4, so they're pretty recent . . . and, yeah, they're really remarkably good. I had been an iBud-hater for so long that all of them were just getting thrown into a drawer unopened and unheard when I'd get a new iGizmo, but I did set aside the iPhone 4 ones in case I needed a spare headset one day. When I finally fished them out, I was amazed at how much I liked them. Now it's all the other stuff in my "non-isolating, in-ear" fleet that's unused in a drawer . . . a couple models of Denons, a couple models of V-modas, assorted other stuff of that ilk.

With the exception of the Yuins. I have 2 pairs of PK1 and one PK3, all from a few years ago (circa, roughly, San Jose national meet), and no faults on any of them. Sorry to hear the Yuins don't seem to be built like that any more. I would say the PK3 is simply trounced by the current iBuds (so it too languishes in a drawer), but the PK1 is still worlds ahead . . . if it is properly amped. If it's not amped, I find it relatively limp and lifeless, so in that respect I don't think it's a competitor to iBuds or the other ones in Tyll's bake-off.

• 3 weeks later...