New Wyred 4 Sound goodies at RMAF

Eric5676

https://audiofest.net/2011/downloads/Special/WyredR.pdf

Wyred 4 Sound Product Rollout

Room 1021

We are excited to see you at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest!

October 14th-16th 2011

When you walk into the W4S room there will be a couple new products rolling out! This will be the first public viewing and listen session so don’t miss it. Our class leading products such as the STP-­‐SE, DAC-­‐2, DAC-­‐1, MC amp and monoblocks will be on-­‐site for viewing and a listen through the Clearwave 72R speakers.

All new products

1. m-­‐INT (mini-­‐Integrated)

The m-­‐INT is an affordable all in one unit that will set a new standard for price, performance and function. The power generation is made possible from dual mono Ice Power modules. Feeding the power amplifier, you will find discrete class-­‐A line-­‐stages and resistor ladder volume control. As an added bonus, we have implemented out award willing DAC technology to the front end for your digital sources! Even more features as listed below:

• Remote control

• 100Wpc into 8 ohms

• Two analog inputs

• ESS technology digital conversion!

• 24/96 async USB, 24/192 Coax and Toslink

• Selectable HT bypass

• Head phone output

• Trigger in/out

• Variable output

• Selectable Fixed output or main in feature (similar to the loop out feature on the current STI)

• External Mains switch (120v/230v)

• New chassis design!

2. Wyred 4 Sound Music Server-­‐

The limitations that can come with wireless streaming are no longer an issue. The design starts with a ultra reliable, maintenance free OS based on Linux and a customized output board that feeds S/PDIF to your existing DAC or direct I²S into the W4S DAC-­‐2 via HDMI. The server can be configured with up to 3TB of hard-­‐drive storage. The server is accessible/controllable using Logitech Squeezebox, Sonos and many other common controlling software.

You can control the server with: Apple devices such as iTouch, iPhone and iPad as well as Android devices and phones. This is convenient for wireless control and the direct digital connection meaning that files can be streamed up to 24/192 with ease and no wireless compression! Internet and a wireless network is required.

The server has been simplified to avoid the need for customizations and to eliminate the learning curve that comes with traditional computer streaming. As a result of this direct approach and digital output there are no concerns about properly setting up DSP’s or output modes such as kernel streaming or integer playback. The most difficult decision will be what CD to rip next!

• Easy one time set-­‐up!

• Compatible with ANY DAC

• Coax, Toslink, and I²S Digital outputs

• USB or Network file uploading

• On-­‐board Tag editor

• Auto-­‐rips CDs with internal drive!

• Compatible with Logitech and Sonos* software

• Ethernet connection to allow for wireless control, internet radio and tag editing

• Internet radio and 3rd party apps* such as Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, and more!

• Optional high performance power supply to be released at a later date

• New Chassis Design

*planned to be ready for product release but currently under development

3. µSeries (Three versions!)

The µSeries includes a µDAC, µDAC-­‐HD and a µLINK. A prototype of the µDAC will be at RMAF and we expect the other prototypes to be ready shortly after. All three products are constructed in the same chassis which is a 3.5”x3.5”x1” aluminum case powder coated black. Depending on your needs all three may be of interest! In spite of the small size these units perform very well!

µDAC

• Three digital inputs including 24/96 async USB, 24/192 Coaxial and 24/192 Toslink

• RCA Analog output

• Power selectable between USB or 9V DC power supply

• Signal lock indicator

µDAC-HD

• 24/192 async USB

• RCA Analog output

• Headphone output

• Signal lock indicator

µLINK (USB to S/PDIF converter)

• 24/192 async USB

• Coax, Toslink, BNC digital outputs

• Signal lock indicator

Don’t hesitate to call or email with any questions that you may have. Orders can be placed over the

phone or online at our website. www.wyred4sound.com PH: (805) 466 9973

Some nifty products there but that Music Server in particular has my attention. I love my DAC-2.

This µDAC thing is gonna get confusing, since Headroom has the UDAC (Ultra DAC) and Nuforce has the uDAC-2.

I'll never understand the lack of creativity manufacturers have in DAC naming. We have plenty of unique names for all other types of gear, but for DACs its always "DAC1" or some other terribly uninspiring variant.

back on topic the mINT looks interesting but I'm sure the headphone out will suck.

Wyred 4 Sound posted these images from RMAF on their Facebook page:

https://fbcdn-sphoto...087249450_n.jpg

^^ Full view

https://fbcdn-sphoto...366084972_n.jpg

^^ Closer

https://fbcdn-sphoto...137464876_n.jpg

^^ Closest.

I like the looks of the server for the most part. $2000 MSRP. I don't know about that but then again I really don't know a whole heck of a lot about this entire music server scene. Supposedly at least some of that new gear will be out before the end of the year.

Edited by Eric5676

The sound was not very good. Little dynamics, not very engaging, very little texture to instruments, difficult localization of soundstage particulars. Could all be the speakers I guess. The only room that I heard that I was less impressed with was the Red Wine Audio room.

It was definitely the lowest priced gear I listened to so maybe I was biased by the megabuck systems I spent the rest of the show listening to.

Lack of W4S components at his house already? Things always sound better when your invested in them I find.

LOL, you probably have something there.

The sound was not very good. Little dynamics, not very engaging, very little texture to instruments, difficult localization of soundstage particulars. Could all be the speakers I guess. The only room that I heard that I was less impressed with was the Red Wine Audio room.

I've been seeing and hearing complaints like this in my lurking and reading up on RMAF.

I've seen a mentions made about speaker setups, room treatments, and the like being less than ideal to say the least and people coming away less impressed in certain situations than one would have thought..

It was definitely the lowest priced gear I listened to so maybe I was biased by the megabuck systems I spent the rest of the show listening to.

Fair enough.

EDIT: They just said on their FB page they'll start production in December on the new hardware.

Edited by Eric5676

I liked a whole lot of stuff there that I do not own.

I tend to think Marc was suggesting that the fact Eric owns W4S gear already he would be inclined to like it as reinforcement of his past purchases, while you do not own any W4S gear and might give a more unbiased opinion. Just the way I read it.

I have always been curious about their DACs due to the ads they post on Audiogon. I know it's just advertisement, but it made me interested, especially because of the moderate hype it has at the other place.

But then I found that they have a seriously powerful amplifier, that churns out 1kW or something, for a very reasonable price (class D, obviously). And well, I'm sort of looking for some amp options for my speakers, which are currently being underpowered by a Marantz PM-11S2. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

I have always been curious about their DACs due to the ads they post on Audiogon. I know it's just advertisement, but it made me interested, especially because of the moderate hype it has at the other place.

But then I found that they have a seriously powerful amplifier, that churns out 1kW or something, for a very reasonable price (class D, obviously). And well, I'm sort of looking for some amp options for my speakers, which are currently being underpowered by a Marantz PM-11S2. Does anyone have any experience with those?

I personally don't but I know where you can get some info and impressions.

http://www.avsforum.com

At the top of the forum you'll see Google Search AVS. Put Wyred in that and you'll get plenty of meaningful hits for threads that should be of use to you. My skimming yielded largely positive feedback.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little confused with what you really get for the $2000....

How is this any different than getting a mac mini (previous gen. w/ cd drive) and setting up XLD to autorip and query internet for cd info when you insert a cd. Then all you need is a library program like itunes, j.river, or the logitech squeezebox to automatically read your database and serve your music via DLNA.

Mac mini looks a whole lot better and costs about $500.