Official Hockey Thread - 2011/12 Edition

grawk

The Winnipeg Jets are officially back in the NHL, unfortunately they stole Tom's team to do it.

I think the last year cutting ice for the Mites through the bantams has been the most fun I've had since I've been doing this for a living. (minus the insane hockey parents that show up now and then)

Wonder how long before the league changes up the teams. Easy choice would be just switch the Jets and preds.

• 1 month later...

It will interesting to see how long it takes for this thread to reach page 2.

Lots of Canadians here in Cayman. I almost feel obligated to learn the rules of hockey. I suspect I'd actually enjoy it, and soccer, cricket, and rugby, if only I knew a little something about such sports. But to hear the Canadians go on about hockey, I honestly feel like I've been completely cheated by growing up in the Midwest dominated by baseball, basketball and football, maybe with a little tennis and golf mixed in.

I feel cheated by not knowing hockey in the same way I did when I first heard Sarah Vaughn's voice, and wondered why I'd never been exposed to something so beautiful before, only without all of the blood and missing teeth of hockey. Just something that has passed me by for some reason, by coincidence of environment or whatever.

But honestly, it's a shame that hockey has never taken off as a major sport in the US. Ok, so yes it is a major sport, but not really; those who love it, follow it religiously, while everyone else (sadly) mostly ignores it.

I believe the Habs will follow soon. Not that I think Jacques Martin is the main problem behind this team (that would be 5'10" players who are afraid to get physical and a certain Alaskan-Mexican player who makes 5M$/year and plays AHL hockey), but a new coach with a more offensive philosophy would be a welcome change.

Good for your son, at least now Gomez's big salary isn't completely unjustified! The other player that pisses me off this year is Cammalleri, the guy has huge skills and has showed in the past he's among the best in this team, and probably the best shooter in the team. I don't know what's going on this year, but he doesn't score. And he really needs to toughen up, damn, he makes Mike Ribeiro looks like a tough player on ice...

Cool gift!

As for MTL, would Patrick Roy even want to come back? He has a tepid history with the team from the end of his tenure there, yes?

Cammalleri is definitely off this year, he's been so good in the past. And despite the injuries, the team seems to have a tighter defense; the 1-0 loss to the Bruins the other week was incredible to watch, with the youngsters playing real well against the physical presence of the Bruins. Add to that players like Cole, who is pretty strong on his skates and can score, and the potential is great. Maybe a coaching change will do it, who knows.

Edited by skullguise

The hostility was between him and the coach at the time, Mario Tremblay. Roy always appreciated the city and the fans, and I believe he said at some point he wouldn't mind coming back into the organization. But right now, he is the GM and coach of a successful junior hockey team in Quebec city and I would see him more becoming the coach of a future Nordiques team, if such a thing happens.

Very nice gift for your son Dan btw!

Edited by GPH

• 4 months later...

An interesting night of playoff hockey last night.

Flyers came back from a 3-0 1st period deficit to win 4-3 in overtime, despite a goal from hockey's savior to open the game.

Detroit lost to Nashville, causing ripples in the force that will be felt for years

Los Angeles beat Vancouver, putting canada's only hope at a disadvantage

An interesting night of playoff hockey last night.

^This

Pens seemed to just wante to win 3-0 from the 2nd period onwards.

LA-Vancouver is being talked about a trap series for the Canucks. Slept thru the game so I really can't comment on that.

Looking forward to seeing the Sharks-Blues series. Haven't really seen the Blues all season, they were rarely on local or cable TV (unless you had the NHL package).

Several surprises....Pens looked unbeatable for a while in that game, then the botched off-sides non-call for the first Flyers goal changed the momentum. I also think it'll be a wild series.....

LA beating Vancouver suprised me a bit....without one of the Sedin's, though, the Vancouver chemistry seems to suffer a bit, at least in playoff intensity hockey.

And Detroit losing....ripples in the force? laugh.png Can't say for sure, but it IS certainly an odd event to see them beat in a playoff game by Nashville. Hats off to the Preds....

Looking forward to Bruins/Capitals tonight. Another possible "trap" series, with the Bruins possibly underestimating the Caps and Backstrom in and likely playing his usual great way - I'm worried Semin will feed off of him and get involved.....still think the Bruins will take it, in 5 or 6.

I'm just loving that playoff hockey is here again!