Official Hockey Thread - 2011/12 Edition

grawk

Sure....something alcoholic perhaps? I believe you had the "wear the enemiy's shirt" bet with Guillaume, but I don't hit the games too often if I were to lose.

After seeing the first period, and this Holtby kid, he looks pretty sound on the initial shot. Giving up some rebounds, but the Caps defense has been pretty good so far.....

No crap yet....a tough first game, Caps hung in there for two periods then turned it on some in the third.

Still impressed with Holtby, even if not now, he'll be something pretty special methinks given some good coaching. He seems to have MOST of the the angles and the raw talent right now. Rebound control will be big ongoing, but last night the D did a nice job in front of him.

Some folks on a hockey board were calling out Wideman last night for that goal; overall, I thought he did pretty well, better than much of what we saw in Boston.

We'll see if the next game is one where the Caps pick up off the momentum they had and the good job in game one, or if they give up a little bit. Game 2 will be huge for the series methinks.....

Got one back, Dan.... Good game by the Caps, they aren't letting the Bruins look good. The B's top two lines aren't scoring; some has to do with lack of effort I think, but the shutdown play by the caps has been good. Perimiter shots msotly, and good rebound control by the D. More enrgy in the first period too.

On to DC.....how many fans will wear Obama masks? laugh.png

^^ Agreed, some amazing defensive hockey if you can appreciate that. I also love the total fucknuts play of the Penguins/Flyers, though, and am also happy to see the Pens go down. If the Caps end up beating the Bruins, having (hopefully) Pittsburgh and Vancouiver both go out will make the loss less painful.

The bruins caps series is some of the best hockey I've ever seen.

The whole playoffs so far is some of the best hockey I've ever seen. Much much better than watching the Habs this year! I like how the Caps are playing so far, it looks like they play better when they're the underdog. If #8 continues to step up his play, I'm confident they can beat the Bruins.

I predict a Blues-Flyers final.

This whole playoff race is just weird. Detroit, Vancouver, Pittsburgh WITH Crosby and Malkin.....all facing elimination in round 1.

Bruins and Caps are still quite enjoyable. Bruins not playing up to their potential, with the 4th liners having more points then the first liners! Some hats off to Caps and the way they're playing, but sometimes it looks like the Bruins just aren't trying. Holtby had a good game last night, but the Bruins are also not TRULY challenging him the way the Caps do Thomas. I still think he will be a very good goalie in time, but they are talking about him like he's the next Ken Dryden chair-hit.gif

If the Caps beat the Bruins, and the Rangers beat the Senators, I think the Rangers will take the Caps; they play a more in-front-of-the-net physical game than the Bruins are right now, and game 3 showed the Caps weaknesses when that happens. A similar shutdown defense and a good goalie in NY too. Of course I hope it's the Bruins going on.....

Going to watch Philly and Pitt soon, dying to see if the Flyers get angry enough to come back strong; Pitt made QUITE the statement in game 4. Staal - ALL the brothers - can be a beast when he steps up.

Edited by skullguise

Ugh....Caps win again, can close out Boston on home ice tomorrow.....

Dan, like I said, I really don't get to games to justify a "wear the enemy's shirt" bet, but we can chat about something....hoping beyind hope it doesn't come to anything, but not looking too rosy at this point. All these games are close one goal games, which is amazing. But if the Bruins have also lost Patrice Bergeron for the next game, they could be quite sunk....

Still hoping for the best (by my measures), but preparing for the worst.

I'd like to see Rangers go all the way if the Bruins don't.....

Edited by skullguise

I don't get to many games either (none this year, even). That's what makes the bet fun. If you lose, you have to go to a game, but you do it in a jersey the winner bought for you...so no matter what, everyone wins (and loses).

But if you just want to make it a boring beer bet, that's fine too.

I don't get to many games either (none this year, even). That's what makes the bet fun. If you lose, you have to go to a game, but you do it in a jersey the winner bought for you...so no matter what, everyone wins (and loses).

But if you just want to make it a boring beer bet, that's fine too.

You guilted me into it, Dan! And being a Jew I thought I'd be resistent laugh.png And actually, a regular season game will be fun, easier to go to, and I have enough respect for the Caps to wear a shirt (even Ovechkin or Chimera!)

Best of one now.....I liked the OT winner today, let's see if we have enough steam for the next game.....

And, go LA!!!!

Edited by skullguise

3 game 7's in the East......West is waiting.......it's like a soap opera

Alfredsson has a hissy fit tirade, will it motivate his team to win game 7 in NY (I didn't realize Ottawa was 4-1 there)? Or will NY's regular season dominance in general and home ice be a factor for them? Will the hate affair with Chris "Don't Hate Me Because I Have Two Teeth And They're Fake" Neil and Brian "I'm Big And Tough And Pick On Little Guys But Am Still Clutch" Boyle show its face in the others' play? Will Henrik "I'm Frigging GQ" Lundquist stave off the Vancouver-like elimination?

Dale Hunter and grinders like Brouwer have the Caps playing strong defencse and NOT choking so far. A fierce, tight series with all games by 1 goal. Alex "I Once Played A Bowling Ball In A Commercial" Ovechkin has been physical, but has been limited in points. Patrice "If I Don't Win The Selke I'll Kill Someone" Bergeron is plagued by mystery somewhere-on-the-body-injury but will still play. Will the Bruins' experience and home ice prove successful for their 4th game 7 playoff win, or will the determination of the Caps push them into round 2?

And Florida and the Devils.....will Florida's patient wait-it-out-then-attack style and home ice get them past the aging Marty "I Still Get The Tough Ones Even If I Let In The Bad Ones" Brodeur? Will ex-Devil Scott "I'm In The Playoffs So Don't Send Me Back To The AHL" Clemenson get a sweet game 7 victory against his old team?

The Flyers, with Claude "Mario Gretzky" Giroux and Ilya "The Solar System Is So Humungous Big" Bryzgalov, wait to see where the chips fall....

Tune in starting tonight, As The Puck Turns.....