Should I get a HD595?

deepak

I really like the K1000 and Grados. The HD650 is cool too, just looking for a third headphone.

Just wondering how the bass and soundstage is compared to the HD580 or HD650 (even K501)? Is there good extension on both ends? Going to use it with the built in amp on the Lavry.

addendum: I really disliked the HD590. It was one of the worst expensive headphones I've heard. It was my benchmark for no midrange...the 595 does improve on it a lot right...? And after spending a lot of time with the 580/650, if I were to call any Senn dark it would be the 590.

I really like the K1000 and Grados. The HD650 is cool too, just looking for a third headphone.

Just wondering how the bass and soundstage is compared to the HD580 or HD650 (even K501)? Is there good extension on both ends? Going to use it with the built in amp on the Lavry.

addendum: I really disliked the HD590. It was one of the worst expensive headphones I've heard. It was my benchmark for no midrange...the 595 does improve on it a lot right...? And after spending a lot of time with the 580/650, if I were to call any Senn dark it would be the 590.

It feels cheaper than the 650, is a little less comfortable in overall shape (though less of a vice) - the oval is less rounded which didn't fit around my ears as well. The angled drivers make an interesting sound stage, but otherwise it's a slightly less refined, more forward sounding 650 to my ears.

The 595 is nothing like the 590. I don't believe there are any shared components - it's a completely new design.

Guest sacd lover

I really like the 595 -120 ohm version I have. I prefer this headphone to the 701 and dt880 ... and I go back and forth between whether I prefer the 595 or the 580/600 more. I see comments the 595 lacks refinement but I dont hear that on my tube amps. I like the fit as well or better than any headphone I have tried and the single cord is long, flexible and unobtrusive. I hear the 595 as fast and dynamic with excellent mids and a tight, impactful bass. The 595 has a more open and extended sounding treble vs the 580/600 .... but the angled drivers give you a narrower soundstage with a strong center image. The soundstage while narrower does move out in front. The mids are a little forward but not grado forward. I recently bought a M2Si and these two headphones share a number of traits even though they dont sound alike .... and I really like the M2Si too.

Thankfully the 595 sounds nothing like the 590, other than the fact that they share 2 numbers and Senn made both of them they don't have much in common, thank god. The 590 is among the worst I've heard, the 595 is definitely one of the better Senns.

I also agree with 5687, though Senns aren't my thing these days I'd still take the 595 over the K701 and DT880, the 701 is better in a technical sense but to me it's too dead sounding and bland, while the 880 is painfully bright and harsh.

Comparing it to the 650 is hard, problem is I've now heard 4 or 5 650's and they were all distinctly different sounding, so the problem is which one do I compare it to? One had boomy overpowering bass while another was sterile and dead, the others were somewhere in between, all were well used, very odd.

If I were to broadly generalize based on a median 650, I'd say the 595 has a bit more life & sparkle in the treble and a tad less bass. Overall presentation is a bit more forward, about a couple rows or so in a concert hall, not the back row to front row move of say, 580's to flat pad Grados. It's a little more lively & fun sounding, but there's a slight loss of detail resolution compared to the 650, not something I'd worry about though as it's small enough that I wouldn't really care.

Compared to the K501, well, that's a tough call. The 501 has the magic AKG midrange of old like the K1000 & K340 along with the large soundstage. However, there's the lack of bass problem, grooving along to Bob Marley probably ain't gonna happen. So it basically comes down to music preferences, if it sounds good on your K1000's, it'll likely sound good on the 501's as well, likely better than the 595, if you need heavy bass drive, it's going to be lacking with the 501 and the 595 is the better bet.

Now, with all that said, and this is IMO of course, I find it somewhat curious that you're getting a 595. Yes it sounds different than a 650, but it's still distinctly a Senn sound. You have the K1000 which gives great AKG sound and the 650 which is signature Senn sound, personally I'd be looking for something a bit more different, like Grados for instance.

The 595 are one pair of headphones that I've never liked. I've heard them with a bunch of different amps and they've just never done anything for me. Considering your current phones, I think something like an MS2i would be a nice change of pace for you.