Battlefield 3

Edwood

I was very much looking forward to this game for the sole reason of a quick hour of exploring and blowing stuff up via offline skirmish like in BF2, but I just discovered there is no offline AI skirmish in this one. I do not follow video games much anymore, so this was news to me. I am bummed, because that is the only mode that interested me. I do not have the time to mess with servers and get better so that I do not die in 15 seconds, and I am not a campaign mode kind of person.

It looks like an awesome game, but I think the developers really dropped the ball on this.

Ive been playing the game and I tell you, if you are just starting out, it is rough as hell to "level up" with everyone already up in higher ranks and better weapons. Im glad I got it early. I exclusively play Support class. Have always loved it.

You're right when you have people who have been playing it since the alpha not to mention that a number of these same people seem to be IV'd to their computers. There's no way I'll ever be competitive with those types.

I'm favoring assault right now with a dash of recon but I'm going to make a point of trying support and engineer real soon.

Ive been playing the game and I tell you, if you are just starting out, it is rough as hell to "level up" with everyone already up in higher ranks and better weapons. Im glad I got it early. I exclusively play Support class. Have always loved it.

Why didn't they reset everyone's level after retail was released? Seems only fair to me.

Played the campaign this weekend and beat it. It was good but I expect MW3 to be much better. Stupid plot, large story gaps and some flaky programming but for the most part it was fine. Uncharted is tomorrow and that one should be excellent.

• Like 1

Played the campaign this weekend and beat it. It was good but I expect MW3 to be much better. Stupid plot, large story gaps and some flaky programming but for the most part it was fine. Uncharted is tomorrow and that one should be excellent.

The SP was a complete afterthought anyways and has never been and never will be what the BF series is all about.

I feel sorry if anyone out there bought this game with SP as any priority.

On the other hand, if you want a change of place from the MP...the Co-op is really fun and satisfying and the best part is you gain points there that will benefit you in MP.

Why didn't they reset everyone's level after retail was released? Seems only fair to me.

I honestly wish they had. There are guys that have been playing since the alpha that are past rank 30 at least. Some of these same people I'm convinced never leave their computers practically 24/7.

There's simply no way someone like myself is ever going to have a chance in hell of competing or even remotely catching up to the likes of that.

Edited by Eric5676

They DID reset it.

I can confirm this because I got hooked on it playing the demo. All stats were reset for when the real deal came out. Some people just have more playing time (aka glued to the game).

My name is same as here, by the way. ;)

How the heck are people past rank 30 with retail being out for such a short period ohmy.png

I recall climbing the ranks in BF2 to take a fair amount of game time.

Either hacks or, truthfully, just grinding out the whole leveling up thing. It's easier when you aren't killing but are also successfully taking out an objective. I've gotten MVP three times simply because of a combination of kills and objectives accomplished (neutralizing flags, blowing com terminals, etc). A kill gets you 100 points, an objective can get you more than twice as much (especially neutralizing and taking over a flag in Conquest, as each one gives you 200 points, I believe).

Still, I never play to get the most kills or points, but to get my team to win. I play Support class to, well, support! I play about an hour each night, but a lot more on weekends, and I'm at about level 14 going to 15. And I'm not even that good, to be honest.

Oh! my username in the game is: screamingoranges

I'm Eric5676 on Origin if anyone wants to add me.

If the stats were really reset and I'll take your all's word for it then as was said the way you get to 30 that quick is cheating, hacks, grinding because you don't have a life off your computer or...boosting.

What's boosting?

Example: Last night I came on this guy's server and he and his friend were there together on opposite teams. They stood together in front of an MCOM. Enable, disable, over and over and over again into eternity. They even told me they were doing other things while putting something with weight down on their E buttons.

I have to admit I kind of laughed at the idea and didn't think it was half bad but still lame. You can gain points and rank doing that but you don't unlock any goodies for yourself so it seems pointless in the end to me.

Edited by Eric5676

I think the single player has to be at least usable as there is only so much I can take playing online with the raging losers that inhabit that universe 24x7.

That's why I thought it was more fun to screw around, instead playing ultra serious like they did (disabling voice talk on BF2 was a must). That's my take on public servers, if they want to play super serious go to a private server.

I'm surprised people actually care about the single player campaign. I always understood (maybe incorrectly) that BF3 and MW2(3) is all about MP. I'll wait for the dust to settle to see if this beats MW3.

You're right. The SP on BF3 is decent but someone shouldn't be buying a BF game if SP is the high priority to them. As it is, all the previous BF games never even bothered with an SP mode at all.

My Origin Username for PC Battlefield 3 is 3DW00D

It's two "zeroes" instead of "O's".

Recently upgraded video card to a Radeon 6950 with 2GB DDR5. Have it set mostly on "High" with Textures and some FX set to "Ultra".

I was really tempted to go with the XBox version since it's console gamers are easier to play against, than PC gamers it looks like so far. I was doing much much better in the XBox beta.

But for the PC it's hands down, the best looking FPS. In the World.

Edited by Edwood

I think the single player has to be at least usable as there is only so much I can take playing online with the raging losers that inhabit that universe 24x7.

Yep, that's why I was only interested in an AI skirmish. I want to play for a short time and by my rules. Just get in, blow crap up, and go do something else. I have no interest playing people who play this game like it is a religion.

It's usable but it's short, forgettable, utterly unremarkable and absolutely not within the realm of being worth paying $50-$60 for. Little to no replay value.

Even the COD series is kind of a dubious buy if you're only buying those games for SP but BF a lot more so. The SP is a decent afterthought and that's about it.

As for MP in these kinds of things:

It's all about finding good servers and people to play with. I'm fortunate enough that I've been a regular in a few circles where I basically have the HOCP servers and a couple of strays added to my favorites list.

I have 3-4 people on my friends list and I work off of these things.

I have had nothing but good experiences on those servers because the admins won't tolerate BS. That's what it's all about. Find quality servers where BS isn't tolerated and add them to your favorites. Make sure you see Punkbuster on and some other things.

We already have a few people including myself here in this thread that you could add to your friends list and if you see us in game all you have do is right click on our names and select Join Party and you've raised your odds considerably of having a good experience.

I'm very picky. If I fall into a BS session of any kind whether it be a one sided blow out or a BS fest, I quit and go somewhere else so if you tag me you're going to be in good shape. wink.png

Yep, that's why I was only interested in an AI skirmish. I want to play for a short time and by my rules. Just get in, blow crap up, and go do something else. I have no interest playing people who play this game like it is a religion.

Then honestly? Don't buy the game because it's all about the MP. That's what this series is all about.

At the very least wait until the price drops considerably because I really don't think most people will feel this thing is worth paying full price for just for single player. A number of reviews make that point as well.

I personally wouldn't. The BF series is always about MP above all else.

The co-op is a nice compromise, though. It's more like the SP except it's you and one other human player in a scripted situation where your accomplishments there benefit the MP side of things but then again if you don't care about MP then there's nothing there for you, either.

http://hardforum.com...620&postcount=1

Lots of new tweaks constantly getting added to the first post in this thread.

http://www.techpower...ad.php?t=154145

The OP of this first post here has come up with a very handy and convenient BF3 configuration piece of software that's going to continue to evolve and grow.

If you guys want to spend money on awesome single player then get Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the FPS side if you haven't already and get Skyrim at the end of next week for RPG. Witcher 2 is another top quality RPG to buy also.

Saints Row 3 is going to be one hell of a great game for both SP and MP if you're needing that GTA like fix. I think it'll have co-op. Now THAT will be well worth paying for even if you never touch the MP.

Edited by Eric5676

The Co-op missions are a missed opportunity. They should've at the least allowed more than 2 players, like at least 4.

Even better, the Co-op missions could've been expanded into a different Multi Player scenario. The Fire in the Sky mission, several people fly in the choppers, the rest on the ground. Other team could be the opposition. So it's basically the same as the Co-op scenario, except no AI. It's all people playing.

So instead of just bombing generic M-Com stations or Conquest, you can have more scripted objective based maps. With 64 people, it would entirely be possible and a lot of fun.

Eric5676: I get what you are saying, but what I wanted was in BF2 and not in BF3. I get that it's all about multiplayer, but not everyone has the time or desire to play online with others. Why take that feature away? Surely with all the advancements in processing power and coding, making a decent AI in BF3 would not have been too much to ask.

Edited by roadtonowhere08