Battlefield 3

Edwood

Anyone try the Beta? I liked it a lot, despite the bugs. They did fix a lot of them during the Beta, so they were certainly working their asses off at DICE. I played the XBox 360 version, but the frame rate is too slow, 30fps and slower sometimes. I really want that silky smooth 60fps. Also the PC version looks soooooo much better.

I've loved Battlefield since the original 1942 and BF2. I've not been a fan of the Consoled Bad Company versions, though.

BTW, the PC Download version is for sale at Amazon for $42.

http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Edition-Download/dp/B005Q47M56/ref=dsvrt_myd_asin_block

We can get a Head-Case squad going as well.

BTW, both the Physical disc and Download versions require Origin to play, which is essentially a browser tool bar. I intend to install it on an internet browser I don't use (like MS Internet Explorer) since EA will spy on cookies in that browser.

But I'll be using Firefox and Chrome for actual internet browsing, haha.

Of course, now I'll have to look into upgrading my Video and Sound Card if I want to play on the PC. I want to play at maxed out settings.

-Ed

Stupid question Ed, I'm planning on upgrading to 7 (from Vista) in the future but after this is released - if I purchase and install on my current machine and then do a clean install of 7, am I allowed to re-download this with no charge just like Steam? I would imagine this isn't a problem but you never know.

Stupid question Ed, I'm planning on upgrading to 7 (from Vista) in the future but after this is released - if I purchase and install on my current machine and then do a clean install of 7, am I allowed to re-download this with no charge just like Steam? I would imagine this isn't a problem but you never know.

Yeah, Origin is trying to be like Steam. When you download and register the Key with Origin, it will forever be linked to that Origin account. So when you reinstall Origin, you can re-download again. There's basically no point in having the physical disc version of the game, since you need to play through Origin anyways. Except with the disc, you might have to have it in the disc drive with an annoying disc check every time you launch the game.

I would recommend installing Origin on an Internet browser you don't use, since they are probably going to still spy on browser activity, despite all the negative publicity they got about that "feature".

-Ed

IMO the only thing where BF was inferior to COD is gunplay but now it seems a lot better. At least I see that they are putting some sweat in it.

And don't get me started on the single player, COD2 was the game where my satisfaction with killing the opposition took a serious plunge. First of all- no single enemy really present a serious threat and second- the health regen. Gone are the days of Half-life low health creeping around and avoiding any damage. The gaming industry is afraid to challenge- both in the way of difficulty and in storytelling. All in fear that someone might not get past a certain area or even not buy the damn disc. When was the last time you could not finish a modern game?

IMO the only thing where BF was inferior to COD is gunplay but now it seems a lot better. At least I see that they are putting some sweat in it.

And don't get me started on the single player, COD2 was the game where my satisfaction with killing the opposition took a serious plunge. First of all- no single enemy really present a serious threat and second- the health regen. Gone are the days of Half-life low health creeping around and avoiding any damage. The gaming industry is afraid to challenge- both in the way of difficulty and in storytelling. All in fear that someone might not get past a certain area or even not buy the damn disc. When was the last time you could not finish a modern game?

Gunplay is much much better with BF3 vs. COD. Especially compared to Black Ops.

The feel of the guns, the sights, optics. And most of all, the sound. The sounds are much more realistic and very close to what they actually sound like, unlike COD MW where they mostly sound really really fake. Also, the recoil in Black Ops is completely off. I've shot the MP5 full auto before, and it does not recoil at all like what they have in the game. It's like the COD developers never bothered to do any research whatsoever.

The most amazing part of Battlefield is the sound as well as the graphics. The sound of bullets cracking and zinging past you is really crazy intense, and you can really tell how far and what direction gun fire is in the game. Also, indoor vs. outdoor sounds different as well, as they do in real life.

I was really impressed with how they dealt with suppressors (note, not "silencers", there are no such thing). They are anything but silent, but are quieter and a lot more difficult to tell where the shots are coming from, along with suppressing the muzzle flash, which makes it difficult to see where they are shooting from.

The big complaint I have is that you can't hear foot steps at all, not even when it's dead quiet and someone's running at you. Most of the time, they make almost no noise. But when someone is crawling in the prone position, they do make a lot of noise with gun and equipment clanking together, which I guess they did on purpose to make it more obvious when someone is camping in the prone position.

I'll have to say this game is my favorite in regards to Audio Quality. Unfortunately, PC's have multichannel audio ass backwards. In order to get SPDIF passthrough for Dolby Digital or DTS, I have to get a specialized sound card with a real time encoding Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect. Which eats up some computing power and adds more complexity to a computer set up. This retarded and redundant method of getting digital output to have available for an external Home Theater multichannel audio to decode has been around for more than 10 years, and apparently has not changed at all.

Sigh, so it's almost like PC gaming has changed little since I stopped playing games on the computer more than 10 years ago. People still type instead of using headsets in FPS games, and no native surround sound digital output for use with a Home Theater system. I'm still expected to play with crappy "gaming headphones" at a workstation set up with a small LCD. Ironic since a gaming PC costs a LOT more than an XBox 360.

-Ed

I enjoyed playing the Beta as well. My fave class is Support class (didn't play as any other at all as I became comfy with Support class from my BF2 days). This game has brought me back to online gaming. I ditched online about 5 years ago due to working, etc etc. My brother pre-ordered a copy for himself and me (the one that includes the classic maps and weapons).

It's all coming back to me now!

I have a pretty good pc to run the game:

i2500K

4GB ram

XFX Radeon HD6950 2GB

Running an HDD disk that uses a small Solid-state for caching (Intel calls it Rapid Storage Tech or something)

Pretty silent too. I'm happy. =)

I'll also probably pre-order the next Batman game (but that's another topic!)

I will be getting this.

I played the crap out of BF1942/Desert Combat and BF2. Stayed away from the BC series due to (perhaps un-warranted) consolitis concerns. BF3 looks to have great gameplay, graphics, and proper PC support (64 player maps!). I'm a bit chuffed that there's no LAN support and consequently no co-op mode against bots, as this is some of the most fun my buddies and I had with the previous games. Still, I'm quite looking forward to it, and hopeful that my PC (Q9550 @ 3.6, Radeon 5870 1gb, 4gb DDR2) will be able to handle it with most of the goodies turned on @ 2560 x 1440.

Edited by rogue

One thing that bothers me in the BF and other games is the reduced explosive damage radius of some weapons. I think they should try to emulate the dynamics of explosions indoors, so that when something explodes in a narrow corridor the field of the blast extends both directions. Not just the same globe around the point of detonation. Also I don't see much fragmentation from grenades. They should implement defensive grenades that employ additional fragmentation with a longer but more random kill radius.

And yeah, I know that in essence it's just a game with different tools of playing masked behind loosely modeled real world weapons.

P.S. They also should let you upgrade the flashlight so that you could engage a strobing mode to confuse enemies. And induce some epileptic seizures...

One thing that bothers me in the BF and other games is the reduced explosive damage radius of some weapons. I think they should try to emulate the dynamics of explosions indoors, so that when something explodes in a narrow corridor the field of the blast extends both directions. Not just the same globe around the point of detonation. Also I don't see much fragmentation from grenades. They should implement defensive grenades that employ additional fragmentation with a longer but more random kill radius. And yeah, I know that in essence it's just a game with different tools of playing masked behind loosely modeled real world weapons. P.S. They also should let you upgrade the flashlight so that you could engage a strobing mode to confuse enemies. And induce some epileptic seizures...

After playing many games of Modern Warfare 2 with Danger Close Pro and all the grenade spamming, I never complain about reduced explosive damage. The noob tube ratio was just waaaaay too high.

Although it is quite nice to be able to blow a giant hole in the side of a wall where people are hiding behind. The grenades and rockets are plenty powerful in BF3 for me.

-Ed

I've been out of the PC gaming deal for almost a year but decided to take a plunge on this. So far, so good. I'm getting decent frame rates at 1920x1200 on my GTX 295 but it not maxed out. I'm ready to play more later after work though!

BTW, how do you display your FPS while playing?

Oh yeah. The "tradition" continues: In the first few weeks server issues and odds and ends glitches are to be expected with any EA/DICE release especially in this series.

I've been amazed thus far at the glitch free experience I've personally had.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1646594

I posted this earlier but just keep an eye on the first post. There's some issues with Punkbuster, among other things, that have lended themselves to the disconnects and getting booted and the like. There are workarounds and solutions for a number of things already which is good. :)

Edited by Eric5676