Audeze LCD-3

johnwmclean

Seems that the LCD-3 is now following the typical pattern.

"It's frigging amazing, up there with the best of the best..."

"Ya, no kidding. It's crazy good!"

"X3"

"Heard it and was quite impressed, but would need to hear more..."

"I can see why others would really like it, and I agree that it's technically excellent, just not sure it fits with my tastes..."

"It was merely "meh"..."

"Really??!??! You're got to be shitting me... the (name your new high end headphone product) equals or bests all others except (name your favorite 2 or 3 others)..."

Happened with the O2 (way back when), HD800, T2, LCD-2, and countless others. This is to be expected, and I suspect that the 009 will be next; even though the clear majority will still think it's amazing, it's just impossible for any one product to fully satisfy all listening tastes and sonic preferences.

To add to Wayne's post, I think time will tell regarding the lcd3 and it's "standing" with other cans. I give the lcd2 props because it remains a solid choice amongst others in its price range, and it's been a solid choice for quite some time now. For $2000 you can start thinking stax or vintage dynamic, most of which have also stood the test of time as solid high end options.

This is the problem with the release of any product that is so hyped up. To make matters worse we have people who have unrealistic expectations due to lack of experience with similar products. Just look at the whole shit storm around the HD800 which was mostly kicked up by people who clearly had no idea how Sennheiser builds headphones. Add to this the whole "newer must be better" BS and it is a right mess...

As for HPA, sure I could have been nicer or more diplomatic but that's really not who I am. I call people out on their BS but I also have no illusions that I'm somehow immune to the same scrutiny. My gear or my impressions are also not holy or beyond reproach. Hell, what was the first thing I did with my new 10K$ source, even before I had heard it? Have Kevin rip it apart and give a firm "mehhh" verdict. laugh.png That's indeed why HC is such a great place, people are called out on their crap but it doesn't go any further than that.

That's why Kevin is indeed the bestest. biggrin.png

I have to track down why the bass sounds a bit odd but otherwise it isn't a bad dac. Still haven't tried the super-duper USB input since I can't find a long A-B cable. Nice to have a remote control for the stepped attenuator...

I feel the LCD-3 would be a bargain at $800. If the LCD-3 was priced at $1000, I would consider that "pushing it"..let alone anything above $1,200.00.

As for soundstage - based off my listening...same as the LCD-2 which is to say..."meh"...

I did like it, don't get me wrong...it's a nice headphone but it's nothing special, especially for the price.

Ouch, that's gotta hurt.

I did think the modified Fostexes gave the LCD-2/3's a good fight..

6275609796_b845794599_z.jpg

IMG_6291 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Edited by Jon L

Not to de-rail the thread much- has there been any reaction from Fostex concerning Smeggy or other modders? I heard that they were in the RMAF this year so they must know something.

Regarding the LCD-2 craze. It was a lucky coincidence of many factors- price point, looks, the legend, reviews and the idea that it doesn't need insane amping to shine. To be honest the hype caught me bigtime as well. Now for the darkish headphone to complement my SR80i I might be looking in the Sennheiser ranks. HD600 and HD650 seems like a good deal and seem to scale well with better with upgrades throughout the chain. Also they are well priced in Europe.

And birgir had the wonderful opportunity to get said $10k source for only $80 in duties

due to my creativity in shipping the beast due to its size. Its a little more than mehh, but

not worth $10k in my opinion. Seems like the current versions of that thing have even

more bling, but not any more performance.

We need the Gilmore Reference DAC already :D

aka no moving parts so transports that eventually go belly up and need to replaced or thrown out :)

Really? You really posted that? If they collected the full duty would that lift them out of bankruptcy? Or is that the cause of the bankruptcy?

Was fraud the cause of the bankruptcy? Yes.

How much was this worth? $1000? What if they posted that they found some random guy on the street, grabbed $1000 out of his pocket, and ran? Or stole his CC number and charged this much to it? Would that be OK to call them out on? Or $500 each from 2 guys? How many people does the cost need to be split over before we no longer care? There are ~300,000 people in Iceland, so if it was $1000 this cost them $0.03 each.

The total cost of street crime is less per year in the US than the amount of revenue lost to just tax evasion, which is close to $400 billion. Split that over all 300 million people and that's $1300 each we pay to subsidize this. Something like 50% of farm income, and 40% of business income is not reported. Fraud adds another $800 billion or so. And this is all outside of the financial crisis, which costs trillions. I have no tolerance for white collar crime. So yes I really posted that. I can't believe they bragged about what they did, frankly.

Edited by dsavitsk

With such a high duty tax in many countries, who would blame them? The REAL crime is expecting people to pay that crap.

This. Duties bite me in the ass real hard and all I can do legally is to turn the other cheek. Or buy from Lake People, Musical Fidelity and such...

Everyone (in the free world) has the right to disagree with what governments decree by law, regulation, taxes, duties, fees & etc. But I'm with dsavitsk on this issue. You can disagree without breaking the law. You can protest, fight for change or refuse to buy/import/export. When you disobey you become anarchists, liars, cheats, frauds, tieives, & etc. You may believe "everyone does it". I don't

No amount of posturing, debate or argument will cause either side to change their view. Jim, you're right. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Are we talking about a duty levied on importing something back into Iceland after it had been exported temporarily? If so, I think there are probably a few waivers and/or outright exemptions applicable. At least that's what I think after reading a couple of pages of Iceland's customs laws. At the risk of continuing this disagreement, I would be interested in what support there is for "fraud."

EDIT: If you guys could post a link to whatever law purportedly was violated, I would be interested.

EDITEDIT: As an example, Chapter IV, Article 6, para 6 of Iceland's Customs Law (I'll post a link in a bit) permits the duty free importation of goods returned from abroad for just about any reason provided that proof is available that the goods were exported from Iceland. Unclear as to whether this means the goods must have been manufactured in Iceland, but there are other provisions that are helpful, too.

Unless you live in a van down by the river and have never, and don't plan on ever using electricity, a real toilet, roads, GPS, police (and this doesn't just include calling the police, but the fact that you aren't pillaged by hoards of bandits every night), hospital, ambulance, public transit, and any other thing that your taxes pay for even if you are dying or in immense pain, you should be happy about paying taxes.