Audeze LCD-3

johnwmclean

WAT huh.png

You didnt thank him like the chorus of warbling fanboyz over there?

Dude you were throwing silver dollars on the tracks...

Nice post, finally a breath of brutal honesty among the gaggle of geese.

And he was HAPPY to hear your criticism. Hmmm.....

Glad he doesnt belong to the Stax Mafia. Just sayin.

Edited by livewire

N3erdling: still there. NoNoNoNoNoNo was pretty annoying, but probably had somewhat of a point. Thanks for bitch slapping the idiot with the "wut, 3K and 4K equipment isn't high-end enough for you?"

Most of the rest of them are doing the old :sherwood:

Well, so far I've only read the review but not any of the comments in that thread. It seems like a reasonable review to me, considering his minimal experience with stats (which he acknowledges). I think the biggest turn-off for some people will be if it's ruthlessly revealing with bad recordings, which is my biggest complaint with my HE-60. I was concerned the SR-009 would be the same way, based on my brief experience at RMAF. It would be nice to spend a lot of time with both of those phones some day, to get a better feeling for them.

I pointed out how everything he reviews ends up being 'great' to him; wonder if Jude, Kevin or Amos will delete my post since we can't throw pennies on the tracks of HF hype trains.

Although I agree with your assessment, can you really blame Rob though for being positive with his reviews? The owner of the review site Headfonia is a good friend of mine and I helped him with some of the pieces before and if there is one thing to learn from my short stint there is that it's exceedingly difficult to write a 100% truthful review especially when there are so many stakes involved. It's really not that simple to just point out and say "hey, this product sucks because of A and B" because there is always some degree of politics mixed in there.

Nevertheless, at the very least his review does not seem to be too positive. He did concede that imaging and soundstage may not be the LCD3's strong point.

...and then concluded it was "merely excellent" at those things.

Why is it hard to give a truthful review? I see your point for a business like the audio magazines or Jude, but not for normal community members like you and I.

Indeed but is that really the case though? He seems to get early dibs on the equipment like the LCD3 and if my memories are right, the RWA combo DAC/amp too?

Skylab is sent gear for review because he has no idea what he's looking at or how to be critical so everything is great and recommended. Manufactures use this and "his standing in the community" to try and sell gear. As for being part of the mafia, well Ray did use him to try and sell the A-10 but that blew up in both their faces ...

Any claims about reviewers having to be diplomatic just goes to show how fucked this industry is. If a reviewer doesn't like something then that's what he should say.

For an example of how to write a truthful review, see innerfidelity.com. If Tyll can do it, a random schmuck on head-fi can do it.

This^ Random schmucks have no political pressures, they just want attention and validation.

If some stupid website for headphone "reviews" factors in politics and how the manufacturers respond, then what good is it?