Audeze LCD-3

johnwmclean

Seems that Audeze got wiser. Still despite the price LCD-2 sold like hot pie.

SOLD LIKE HOT PIE? Love that expression!

(Love me some hot pie, too!)

I second the opinion of the LCD-3 appearance - those chrome bulwarks have to go! Too gaudy! Why not just encrust them in zircons, for the luva mike?

Also, I do not like the wood. A dark wood would look better in this application IM(NS)HO, or at least a "honey colored" wood.

Here is comparo with LCD-2 rev2, the bright red line is the LCD-3.

Interesting. My LCD-2 rev. 2 FR graph is similar to this one. However, my LCD-3 FR graph is somewhat different. It drops by an additional 2dB between 1KHz and 2KHz, and it has a valley rather than a peak at the high treble region. They indeed sound somewhat darker than my LCD-2 rev. 2.

There seems to be quite a bit of variation betweem units.

Edited by visualguy

I was tempted too, but I'm sure after a week or two I'd migrate back to the K1000 anyway.

The positive thing about finding the right rig is that the upgraditis stops.

The negative thing about finding the right rig is that the upgraditis stops.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1

(Quote) you could sell the lcd2 and 1 of the k1000s and get a lot of great booze. (UnQuote).

These sonic marvels will still be giving me aural pleasure long after the neck oil has been consumed, digested and eliminated.......

Purrin made another set of waterfall plots.

http://www.head-fi.o...d3-measurements

We know. grin.gif

Purrin's latest posts of the LCD-3s show that the drivers are much better matched on that other website.

We already know that too.

I admit to being tempted by the LCD-2, but the QC has me worried.

I get the feeling it should be safe now that they've had some time to iron out a few things. Sanker kept stressing their QA - at least 6-7 times at the Irvine meet. The last two r2s (one Audeze brought to meet and Mr. Eddie Current's) I've heard sounded pretty good. They could be cherry picked ones though.

Edited by purrin

[quote

Posted Today, 07:48 AM

snapback.pngwink, on 18 November 2011 - 07:46 AM, said:

... These sonic marvels will still be giving me aural pleasure long after the neck oil has been consumed, digested and eliminated.......

Then you're not doing it right.

]

Mine arrived. They seem to have fixed the main issues with the LCD-2s, namely the imaging is better, the ringing is gone and etc. but damn about the price. The 009s still hand them their arse on a platter when it comes to things such as picking the individual instruments out in a well-recorded orchestral piece, but significantly less so than before. I did previously listen with Jude's pair in Tokyo on a few rigs, the two best being an EAR HP-4 with vinyl and an obscure SATRI-based (current gain stage) amp fed by a hand-built R2R DAC. So I reckon compared to the LCD-2s the price increase is somewhat of a hard swallow, but compared to the 009s they are a bargain (but then, so are the 007s).

Edited by Currawong

Surprisingly little gushing so far from the people that have received it. I would have expected a more dramatic celebration, even this early in the process. I'm sure as more people receive it, the glorification will become more prevalent, but I am a bit flabbergasted that anybody on head-fi would receive a $2,000 headphone and not proclaim it the greatest thing since sliced R10s.

It has now happened...