Audeze LCD-3

johnwmclean

The energizers work from pretty much anything. I regularly use a 10W Class T amp (very optimistic 10W at that) when I can't be bothered to connect some of the "proper" amps and it sounds just fine. I must say though that I wasn't very impressed by the WEE. I just don't feel that it is a upgrade over the SRD-7's and I have a large question mark over the quality of the transformers used.

I agree about the Rwa audeze edition. I thought it sounded terrible with the lcd2 and the liquid fire is only mediorce for me with them. I have the lcd2 right now with a ba and it is a really good match so I am hoping that the lcd3 will be also. Should have them tomorrow so I guess I will find out.

Here's my interpretation of a back emf generated by a magnetic planar speaker:

If you consider a planar magnetic headphone, it consists of a series of permanent magnets in some fixed configuration with a membrane suspended in between the magnets. On that membrane/diaphragm are circuit traces through which the current flows. As this current changes it induces a magnetic field (see ampere's law) that interacts with the fixed magnets and causes the daiphragm to move. However, it is important to also remember the dual of ampere's law, faraday's law, which states that a change in magnetic field will induce an electric field. I believe theoretically the magnetic fields due to the fixed magnets in a planar magnetic driver is supposed to be uniform, however obviously in real life this is not going to be completely true. Therefore as the traces on the diaphragm pass through areas of varying magnetic field strength an electric field ie. a back emf.

As to the magnitude of the back emf I don't have a clue.

As with everything in life, nothing is free so while we get ruler flat impedance from the planar drivers then we have to deal with the back emf instead. This has proved to be substantial enough to upset amps so it should certainly be taken into account. The ringing people are reporting with certain amps (OTL tube amps etc.) is caused by this to some extent. When Kevin got my LCD-2's he reported back that they needed current and not voltage (4V rms being way too loud) and I concurr, you need an amp which can deliver the ever so elusive current. Low output impedance is also a must which rules out most tube amps. High bias Class A solid state amps being the natural parter then. I'm getting good results with the Dynalo but a Dynahi should be even better, the new version even more so. Some good speaker amps wouldn't go amiss. Know anybody who owns a Pass XA-30.5?