Audeze LCD-3

johnwmclean

Tyll - I'd be happy to send you this rig w the Cardas Clear Lite XLR inteconnects to use as part of your LCD-3 review; but none of this will have been burned in yet.

Nice rig. Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'll need it.

I've been chatting with Doug a bit about getting an amp. And I've got to wait and see how Audeze responds to the article I just wrote.

Nice rig. Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'll need it.

I've been chatting with Doug a bit about getting an amp. And I've got to wait and see how Audeze responds to the article I just wrote.

Hey Tyll, I read the article. To test if your THD+noise issue is something loose you could always run at a lower amplitude and see if the problem is decreased (of course the noise floor relative to the measurement would increase)...

I need to send you my LCD3s.

Sorry, I don't really follow the LCD3 thread over there anymore but is yours the veiled or non-veiled version?

I initially thought that this midrange veil issue is over-exaggerated but after comparing the LCD3 with several LCD2s then it became clear to me that it's a real thing.

Sorry, I don't really follow the LCD3 thread over there anymore but is yours the veiled or non-veiled version?

I initially thought that this midrange veil issue is over-exaggerated but after comparing the LCD3 with several LCD2s then it became clear to me that it's a real thing.

I have the veiled version. They measure 4db lower than an r2 from 2-8kHz. It's hard to say for sure since they appear to measure all over the place based on Tyll's report and now my data - after I obtained a 2nd LCD3. See my HF LCD3 measurement thread for the latest (less crap there than the regular thread.)

Edited by purrin

I have the veiled version. They measure 4db lower than an r2 from 2-8kHz. It's hard to say for sure since they appear to measure all over the place based on Tyll's report and now my data - after I obtained a 2nd LCD3. See my HF LCD3 measurement thread for the latest (less crap there than the regular thread.)

Thanks for the heads-up, plenty of material there for some bedtime reading!

I still would like to see a measurement of the LCD3 with the firmer LCD2 pads if possible as switching the pads of my LCD2 R1 from the older "flat" pads to the new R2 pads yielded a lot of improvement sound-wise.

Anyway, I honestly think that the LCD3 has a lot of potential. I would like to hear it again once they roll the "definitive" version. evil.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, plenty of material there for some bedtime reading!

I still would like to see a measurement of the LCD3 with the firmer LCD2 pads if possible as switching the pads of my LCD2 R1 from the older "flat" pads to the new R2 pads yielded a lot of improvement sound-wise.

Anyway, I honestly think that the LCD3 has a lot of potential. I would like to hear it again once they roll the "definitive" version. evil.gif

Pity those who are stuck with all the "experimental versions" in between!

Reliability and consistency must be at the top of Audeze's priorities otherwise as a buyer how do I know what i'm buying?

All this FUD about the LCD 3 must surely sour the second hand market too --- which version are they, veiled, bright, dull, et-alt who the F**k will know ranting.gif this situation IMO is not fair on paying punters!

Edited by complin

With a transferrable three-year warranty, buyers on the used market can just ship them out to Audeze if they think they recieved a veiled/mis-padded/wonky FR pair. The ideal solution would be for Audeze to get it right the first time, but at least they'll fix the problem if they mess up (albeit with inordinately long wait times for the buyer in some cases.)

With a transferrable three-year warranty, buyers on the used market can just ship them out to Audeze if they think they recieved a veiled/mis-padded/wonky FR pair. The ideal solution would be for Audeze to get it right the first time, but at least they'll fix the problem if they mess up (albeit with inordinately long wait times for the buyer in some cases.)

Yes thats fine but how do know if what you have bought are the veiled/mis-padded/wonky FR pair unless you have herd all the variations!! There are still extra costs involved and after a while Audeze will want the full cost of replacement. They will not substitute the L2 R2 for R1 drivers without buying new ones even though only few weeks old.

Edited by complin

Yes thats fine but how do know if what you have bought are the veiled/mis-padded/wonky FR pair unless you have herd all the variations!!

It was easy to tell that my first pair was veiled and muddy. I dont think it would be hard for anybody to be able to tell. My second pair seemed non veiled until I listened to some male vocals and it didnt seem quite right. I did comparisons with my lcd2 in found it was slightly veiled. I only seemed to notice it though on male vocals. Female vocals sounded fine. It would be nice to hear one of the known non veiled versions so I know if that was the best that they can be or can they sound even better.

They will not substitute the L2 R2 for R1 drivers without buying new ones even though only few weeks old.

Not sure what you mean here? R1 drivers are no longer made, and why would an R2 owner want to "downgrade" to R1 drivers?

If you meant it the other way around, they were offering people that bought the LCD-2 R1 in a time frame near the R2 release to send their phones in to get the R2 upgrade (free).

It was easy to tell that my first pair was veiled and muddy. I dont think it would be hard for anybody to be able to tell. My second pair seemed non veiled until I listened to some male vocals and it didnt seem quite right. I did comparisons with my lcd2 in found it was slightly veiled. I only seemed to notice it though on male vocals. Female vocals sounded fine. It would be nice to hear one of the known non veiled versions so I know if that was the best that they can be or can they sound even better.

Are you sure that the LCD-3s weren't just showing you the flaws in your recording; while the LCD-2s were glossing over it? If you hear it on several recordings, then it might be the headphones. But sometimes I find that we blame transparent gear for showing us flaws in the source material.

With the lcd2 the vocals were clear with percise edges to there location. With the lcd3, the vocal was fuzzy. I prefer to call it smog like on a sunny day you can see the persice skyline of LA but on a different sunny when you look it is still easilly seen but the skyline is a little fuzzy due to smog. Some of the albums I noticed it on were high resolution music. If anything, the lcd3 seem to be the ones covering flaws up because it was a lot easier listening to badly recorded music with them than with my lcd2.