Teflon Stax connector group buy/purchasing

kevin gilmore

Yes, I think that the connectors have a good finish but today I discovered a problem, my friend has made ​​a mistake with these connectors, the diameter of the "cylinder" where are the pin holes is 18mm, on these connectors is 18.2mm.

Today I tried to stick pins in the connector in a 18mm hole and the plug fits into the hole if I do a little strength, but I think it goes too tightly and deforms the pin holes.

I talked to my friend to tell him this problem with the connectors and he said he would verify the cause of this difference in the diameter and he is going to modify all the connectors, but I'm not sure if that's a problem or maybe can be a virtue... The diameter of the bottom of the pin is larger than the diameter of the top, if we placing a 18.2mm plug in a 18mm hole, and the holes of the pins lose a little in diameter at the top, maybe the pins could fit better inside of the hole? (I'm not sure if I've explained it well? undecided.gif )

Tomorrow I'm going to check two connectors with pins (one 5 pin, and one of 6 pin) in a 18mm hole and I'll connect my OII and SR-003 to verify the connection.

My friend is disliked by this mistake, and has asked me that I transmit his excuses for this mistake and for the delay in the delivery of the connectors.

-- o --

Rodrigo

Yes, I think that the connectors have a good finish but today I discovered a problem, my friend has made ​​a mistake with these connectors, the diameter of the "cylinder" where are the pin holes is 18mm, on these connectors is 18.2mm.

Today I tried to stick pins in the connector in a 18mm hole and the plug fits into the hole if I do a little strength, but I think it goes too tightly and deforms the pin holes.

I talked to my friend to tell him this problem with the connectors and he said he would verify the cause of this difference in the diameter and he is going to modify all the connectors, but I'm not sure if that's a problem or maybe can be a virtue... The diameter of the bottom of the pin is larger than the diameter of the top, if we placing a 18.2mm plug in a 18mm hole, and the holes of the pins lose a little in diameter at the top, maybe the pins could fit better inside of the hole? (I'm not sure if I've explained it well? undecided.gif )

Tomorrow I'm going to check two connectors with pins (one 5 pin, and one of 6 pin) in a 18mm hole and I'll connect my OII and SR-003 to verify the connection.

My friend is disliked by this mistake, and has asked me that I transmit his excuses for this mistake and for the delay in the delivery of the connectors.

-- o --

Rodrigo

Rodrigo,

Just checked mine connector. If you try with just one pin inserted in to the jack, the headphones plug pin goes in and out very smooth. With all the pins installed the plug goes in about 1/3 of the way without resistance, after that you have to apply force and the jack's cooper pins start pushing the cable plug pins appart. To me it looks like the pin holes a bit far appart relative to each other.

I think the problem is on the gold connectors, I've revised the holes of the teflon connector and the aligment with the jack pins is good.

I think the tabs on the gold pins are too close, if you enter a 3mm diameter rod into the hole of the pin (only about 3 mm deep), the pin tabs open enough to the jack pins fit well.

You can try to open the tabs in 5 pins and check how enters the jack into the connector, do not worry if you breaks a pin, I have more pins than I need and I can send you more.

My friend has modified Teflon parts today but I may not move to collect them in the next few days because I'm going to go traveling, I'll be out the next 10 days. When I return, I will send the modified connectors to all members of the group buy, also I will send modified connectors to Deepak, vvs75, Jantzen and Colin because the Teflon parts that they have are defective.

Sometimes things do not work on the first try, I'm sorry for all these drawbacks, I assumed that my friend's CNC milling machine was not going to cause problems angry.png

-- o --

Rodrigo

I revised the problem with the insertion of the connector and I'm sure that the aligment of the holes with the Stax jack is good.

d9d97a1f.jpg

I think the problem is on the hole of the gold pins, it's very closed for the pins of the Stax jacks. I have used the basis of a 3mm drill bit to open the hole diameter of 5 pins, I've inserted the drill bit deep inside the hole about 3mm, with this modification improves the insertion of the jack.

69730bfa.jpg

56cf7d49.jpg

You can see the difference between the modified pin (left) and the normal pin.

2e32be04.jpg

My friend has changed the connectors and now they enter in a 18mm hole, I did a piece with a 18mm hole to check the modified connectors

428ce161.jpg

32367962.jpg

ff91618b.jpg

In the process of reducing the diameter of 18.2mm to 18mm, my friend has broken several connectors, for this reason my friend will do more connectors in the coming days.

The pins are somewhere in my country, these days the post office has collapsed with all the letters to Santa Claus, Christmas shipments to the family outside... I hope to have the new connectors in the coming days.

-- o --

Rodrigo

• 2 weeks later...

I received the new gold pins today and have the same external measurements than the old pins grin.gif

This time I will send the connectors assembled and tested to avoid the problems of previous connectors.

I will send PMs to all members of the group buy in the next days to arrange the shipment of the connectors.

-- o --

Rodrigo