Folks, I need a USB DAC replacement; rig details below

dmcs414

Hey all,

I'm always a little nervous about posting here because...well we all know why. It's part of the reason I love this forum so much but mainly lurk and learn. ;)

Anyhow, my primary DAC has for many years been the good old' E-mu 0404 USB, and sadly it's had its last day. Now I need a new DAC to connect to my Asus G73 gaming laptop (no S/PDIF sadly so USB is a requirement) and the rest of my rig is my prototype (though awesome) CTH I acquired from a very nice chap on that other site and my beloved Wenge-cup Thunderpants TP1s. Which, by the way, I was delighted to see such positive praise for here when I showed them off after I got them back from Smeggy. Just to be clear, I was pleased at the positive praise for Gary's incredible craftsmanship, not the mere fact that I happen to own them. In any case, I use foobar (Dolby Headphone, Channel Mixer and Electri-Q) for the software end of my setup, just to round out the overall chain.

So, in terms of a new DAC, price wise, well, I'd rather not spend too terribly much (was considering the Bifrost but it's a little pricy for me at the moment with the USB added), so I thought I'd humbly ask for some recommendations here.

Other DACs I'm considering include the Pico USB, Cambridge DAC Magic, or perhaps an NFB model. But the reason I'm asking here instead of "there", is because I suspect I may get better advice on this topic, and perhaps some of you have similar rigs as myself and can provide some feedback on synergy I might expect.

Thanks very much in advice!

Are you on friendly terms with the soldering rod?

I wish I was, and I want to be. Let's just say I have great affections for her from afar. One of these days I'm going to get up the courage to talk to her and get to know her. But at this moment, no. However, I do have friends who know her quite well and if need be, I could possibly persuade them to help me. Why do you ask?

There seem to be a few good DAC designs for DIY. But they often require precision soldering, chips for example. You might look into Sigma from AMB and others from Twisted Pear. Other than that, there's HRT and CEntrance to name some. I'm sure that others may be able to add some more or eliminate the ones I just wrote about.

The following will permit you to go USB out of your Asus G73 and permit you to go mobile with a laptop or other portable source when you're away from your G73 - I know you didn't ask for this specifically but you may want to consider it.

Recomendation:

Gawd, I luv me some RSA ad copy:

The Predator’s both pc brds' date=' the amp & the USB, are mil specs grade with 4 oz oxygen free copper. All resistors are that of high quality Dale Vishay SMDs. The Caps are the highest quality film caps by Panasonic. The power lanes & signal lanes are separated from each others with ground lanes & blocks of ground sections to minimize the floor noise.

You should hear no noise or hiss at all from the DAC when connected to your computer, it is completely silent in every sense no matter which headphones you use, including all the sensitive headphones, IEM, with full gain of 11, at MAX volume.. That by itself is just a remarkable accomplishment when comparing amps with each others using IEM’s.

The amp section has identical parts when it comes to quality; no corners have been cut, as the Predator has the lowest floor noise specs than that of the Hornet & Tomahawk.

The Predator has 3 position gain switch, low, gain of One, medium, gain of Four & high, gain of Eleven. These gain setting come very handy when a variety of phones are used with different impedances.

Then of course, there's

Lest I be labled both a fanboi and an asshat - let me offer the following:

Shelly is right on - There's clearly a checker on Ray's escutcheon with the whole "B-Stock" imbroglio, not to mention the A10 "debacle".

I only mention the Predator 'cause I own one and can provide first hand feedback - it's one choice among many and by some estimations not the worst (based purely on performance)

However, as with all purchasing scenarios - caveat emptor

BTW - Shelly, the helping hand is greatly appreciated - as a token of appreciation would be happy to loan part of my collection of wooden puzzles, among which are some Edward Hordern IPP winners by Brian Young

DMCS414, where are you in the DFW area? If you would like to test out a couple of cheap USB DACs, I've got a Pico DAC only and a Monica USB.

I also have an Audio-gd NFB3 that's my prime DAC now. If I ever get off my butt and order a couple parts, I've got most of a pair of Bantams

ready to go as well.

• Like 1

The following will permit you to go USB out of your Asus G73 and permit you to go mobile with a laptop or other portable source when you're away from your G73 - I know you didn't ask for this specifically but you may want to consider it. Recomendation:
  • RSA Predator - why (because I own one and can provide empirical data) --> Able to drive various cans w 3 way gain switch, great noise floor, good battery life, highly portable, typical Ray Samuels house sound = decent sonic signature w good bass but overall slightly warm. I'm going USB out of an Asus P6T2 motherboard into this amp and I feel as if I'm getting my $475 dollars worth. Big lower board capacitor = fairly sizeable burn-in.
  • http://www.raysamuel...oducts/predator

Several Other Potential Choices that are generally considered to not suck (n.b. do not own and cannot provide empirical data): non-inclusive list in no particular order -->

I wouldn't recommend the Predator in this case because it has no line-out to feed into the CTH amp. The D12 has a line-out and dual Wolfson WM8740 DACs, if he needs a portable DAC and amp combo, which I don't recall him mentioning needing an amp or portability. The Pico DAC-only would be closer to a desktop DAC to feed the CTH, and can still be combined with a portable amp if needed later. I'm also fairly impressed so far with the Audioengine D1 24/96 USB/Optical DAC and amp, which has a line out. It uses an AKM4396 DAC, and costs about $170.

EDIT - if the DAC doesn't need to be portable, then the HDP is a pretty good DAC for the price, with the bonus of a decent built-in headphone amp which sounds identical to the balanced RSA protector (although a little aggressive sounding). It will still sound better feeding the CTH amp, unless you run it with a Sigma 11 PSU which really improves the tone and soundstage of the built-in amp noticeably.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict